follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 04-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #29
Shizuma

Drives: 2015 Dodge Challenger SXT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
I really don't get people complaining about noise...... Do you want a sports car or not? If not, don't buy one.

There's good noise and bad noise with a car, a nice rumble of a V8 or the burble of a WRX = good noise, random very loud road/wind noise and an engine that sounds more like my sewing machine = bad noise, the BRZ simply doesn't have a nice sounding engine.
Shizuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:07 PM   #30
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
There's good noise and bad noise with a car, a nice rumble of a V8 or the burble of a WRX = good noise, random very loud road/wind noise and an engine that sounds more like my sewing machine = bad noise, the BRZ simply doesn't have a nice sounding engine.
The engine wasn't what I was talking about. I agree the engine sounds like total shit, but it's a lightweight sports car. Why are you complaining about road/wind noise? It's not a luxury car...
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:26 PM   #31
Shizuma

Drives: 2015 Dodge Challenger SXT
Quote:
The engine wasn't what I was talking about. I agree the engine sounds like total shit, but it's a lightweight sports car. Why are you complaining about road/wind noise? It's not a luxury car...

Just because I wanted a sports car doesn't mean I wanted something so noisy that I eventually dreaded long trips because the noise was so grating it made the car unpleasant to drive, the level of acoustic insulation in the car (aka no insulation) was something I wouldn't even expect in a $12k econobox in this day and age, let along an almost $30k car, sports car or not, and a lot of people feel that way about the car even on these forums as I've seen more than a few people that even stripped out the interior to add some acoustic insulation to their car. I wouldn't expect it to be on the level of a luxury car, or even that of the Challenger, but at least something that at least elevated it above say a Yugo when it comes to road noise.
Shizuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #32
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Well girl in a challenger makes her bring home to mamma material, so different strokes .

I don't even turn on my radio most of the time :P
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tahdizzle For This Useful Post:
REAV3R (04-14-2015), Tcoat (04-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 03:55 PM   #33
Sideways&Smiling

Quote:
Just because I wanted a sports car doesn't mean I wanted something so noisy that I eventually dreaded long trips because the noise was so grating it made the car unpleasant to drive, the level of acoustic insulation in the car (aka no insulation) was something I wouldn't even expect in a $12k econobox in this day and age, let along an almost $30k car, sports car or not, and a lot of people feel that way about the car even on these forums as I've seen more than a few people that even stripped out the interior to add some acoustic insulation to their car. I wouldn't expect it to be on the level of a luxury car, or even that of the Challenger, but at least something that at least elevated it above say a Yugo when it comes to road noise.
Not sure what to tell you. I didn't think it was loud at all compared to other cars I'm used to, but either way they are trying to keep weight down. That's a bigger priority than noise in a sports car, IMO... less weight = less insulation. *shrug*
Old 04-08-2015, 04:01 PM   #34
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
Just be aware that once you drive a twin, you won't want to drive anything else. It will ruin all other cars for you. The only time you will regret it is when you need to move lots of big things(rarely) or transport more than 1-2 other passengers(rarely).
I drive my Miata far more than my BRZ lol.
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:11 PM   #35
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZZZZZZZZZZ View Post
I drive my Miata far more than my BRZ lol.
Quote:
Ok. I'm wrong. I take it back.

I bought one because of great handling, decent gas mileage, enough power, 6 speed manual, rwd, affordable, looks, and perceived reliability/cost to repair/maintain/mod.
All that equals lots of fun for many miles for relatively low cost.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:37 PM   #36
Sideways&Smiling

Quote:
I believe he was commenting on the fact that what you said about not wanting to drive anything else is not necessarily true, sir. :P
Old 04-08-2015, 04:54 PM   #37
swarb

Quote:
I believe he was commenting on the fact that what you said about not wanting to drive anything else is not necessarily true, sir. :P
And I am commenting that I was wrong and I admit it afterwards.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:59 PM   #38
Bango

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
And I am commenting that I was wrong and I admit it afterwards.
This is the internet, no one has ever seen anyone else admit they're wrong
Bango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bango For This Useful Post:
Sideways&Smiling (04-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 05:06 PM   #39
swarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bango View Post
This is the internet, no one has ever seen anyone else admit they're wrong
I am Wong. Cousin to Johnny Tran. Stupid Chinese accident.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:09 PM   #40
Chad11491

Drives: 85.5 Porsche 944, '15 mustang GT PP
I'm sorry, but the v6 challenger is NOT faster than an 86. Look at all the published times and videos on YouTube. My uncle has a 2015 r/t auto with every option ticked (non scat pack). It's not a lot faster than my 6mt brz. You can feel it pull more, and it does walk, but not massively. It's a cool looking cruiser car that has a nice sound with the v8 and it has a nice interior, but let's be real here. The v6 challenger is not faster, and does not handle like an 86. Im not knocking the car, and I'm glad you like it. I was impressed with the rt overall, and they would make exceptional cruisers and comfortable dd's
Chad11491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:18 PM   #41
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Correct. Not to downplay the twins because yes they are fun to drive in a lot of ways. Just in my opinion/experiences other cars offer a lot in different ways as well.
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:30 PM   #42
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
V6 challenger vs frs/brz

Quote:
the Challenger can take the corners just as fast and really a hair faster than the BRZ, it just feels a lot mushier doing it, the 2015 Challenger SXT was in fact slightly faster thru Motor Trend's figure 8 and pulled a slightly higher lateral G than the BRZ.

Not to pointing finger or anything, but you sorta misunderstood of how taking a turn is a lot more complicated then just a figure 8 can demonstrate. Real road & track aren't flat. The number for figure 8 and what the car can really do is different when you put it on like a downhill/uphill canyon or a track.

For daily sure if you only have one car, Challenger is better. Cuz it's a muscle car build based on American need on American road.

But once you took it to a track or mountain bends.... You need to know that mushiness is the difference of you end up in a ditch/probably total ur car/cost ur life. Cuz weight transfer changes how the car response under extreme conditions. You can have traction on the way into a downhill sharp corner and none on the front coming out of it as u power out of a corner.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote