follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-19-2010, 02:52 AM   #1
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking What else do you think Toyota can build on the FT86 Plaform?

With the FT-86 platform being supposedly "unique", on has to wonder if they can generate enough volume to be able to sell it at an economical price while still making a profit. I don't want to see this car die off if it doesn't make Toyota any money, so I started wondering, "What else could Toyota build on the platform?". Then it hit me. I dunno if many of you remember this concept, it came out in 2001. Unlike most of Toyota's concepts, it was purely a design exercise by CALTY. I was also thinking the other day "wouldn't a suzuki samurai type vehicle make a cool scion".

I present to you the;

Toyota (Read.... SCION) Rugged Sports Coupe

Lots more photos HERE

Quote:
The Toyota RSC concept was initiated and developed by CALTY Design Research, Toyota’s North American design center in Newport Beach, California. According to CALTY vice president of design, Kevin Hunter, the RSC concept was developed to explore new possibilities for a next-generation sports car, aimed specifically at young new-car buyers. The "RSC" is built on the 2001 RAV4 platform.
"Traditionally, sports cars are influenced by high-performance on-track motor sports," said Hunter. "For the RSC concept, we looked at one of the world’s most popular off-track racing formats for inspiration. Toyota’s long history in the World Rally Championships, along with the aggressive, rugged appeal of its race cars with a young audience, made for an ideal conceptual direction."
Quote:
The Rugged Sport Coupe is a pure concept vehicle. The intent, from the very beginning, was to develop a purely visual statement that would connect emotionally with young buyers. A statement that, intentionally, is not meant for everyone to understand, or appreciate.
The RSC combines a sporty two-plus-two car body with four-wheel drive hardware and styling cues that result in a fresh variation on "rugged vehicle" thinking. The fuselage body design combines muscular wheel flares with edgy mechanical forms that communicates a built-for-abuse durability. The look is assembled or constructed, rather than organic.
The interior of the RSC was designed to convey the sparse, functional simplicity of a race car. The look and feel suggests the notion that serious work takes place in this cockpit and that weight savings and accessibility take precedent over amenities.
So what do you guys think? This thing is actually pretty small, dimensions very similar to the FT-86, just quite a bit taller. AWD, turbo, Toyota/Subaru off-road hardware... might even be able to still come in under 3000lbs. The right chassis, Toyota and Subaru's joint rally experience... it could be a pretty awesome toy.

FT86
Wheelbase: 101.18 inches
Length: 163.78 inches
Height: 48.19 inches
Width: 69.29 inches
Tyres ???/19

RSC
Wheelbase: 98.1 inches
Length: 162.1 inches
Height: 61.1 inches
Width: 72.9 inches
Tyres 31x10.5R19

Not asking you to buy it, just wondering if I'm a genius, or if I should put down the bong.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
i remember that concept. back in those days all the manufacturers were making off road sports coupe concept cars. the only car of this style that i can think of that was actually produced for sale is the X6.
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
Matador
hashiryu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
i remember that concept. back in those days all the manufacturers were making off road sports coupe concept cars. the only car of this style that i can think of that was actually produced for sale is the X6.
Except that it worth jack shit off road, heavy, overpriced has two doors too many for the interior room it provides..........or rather, doesn't provide and is really ugly in pics.

Yeah, there were a lot of those concepts back then. This is one of the few I liked.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

Drives: The ladies wild!
looks like a hot wheels toy.
i would drive one.. maybe
Midship Runabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
Except that it worth jack shit off road, heavy, overpriced has two doors too many for the interior room it provides..........or rather, doesn't provide and is really ugly in pics.
to be honest that's how i feel about all the so-called offroad sports coupe type cars. they're all ugly and impractical. for offroad i'd rather get a full blown suv or a rally awd type car, not something that's raised and still tries to look like a sports coupe. i'm not a fan of "4 door coupes" either.

edit: here's a better idea for a car that toyota could build using the ft platform. how about a 1 series competitor for the european market? make it a 3 door hatch and give it styling like the european ford fiesta, add some lexus badges and maybe a turbo diesel option. as long as they don't make it look like the LF-ch i think it has potential.
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
If they make this I would rock it in the winter in a heartbeat. That thing looks bad fuckin ass!
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
Matador
hashiryu

Quote:
to be honest that's how i feel about all the so-called offroad sports coupe type cars. they're all ugly and impractical. for offroad i'd rather get a full blown suv or a rally awd type car, not something that's raised and still tries to look like a sports coupe. i'm not a fan of "4 door coupes" either.

edit: here's a better idea for a car that toyota could build using the ft platform. how about a 1 series competitor for the european market? make it a 3 door hatch and give it styling like the european ford fiesta, add some lexus badges and maybe a turbo diesel option. as long as they don't make it look like the LF-ch i think it has potential.
Of course the RSC is wildly impractical. It's **meant** to be. It's a toy. It'd make a pretty good rally (Dakar/Baja) car too. No need for the weight of an SUV, but with 2 doors less and more clearance than a "rally type" awd car.

Anyway, the idea of the thread is not to talk about the RSC really, it is to present your ideas. I think the LF-Ch or whatever it's called would be wonderful on the FT platform, It's a bit wild (it is a concept after all) but it has major potential. To each his own I guess. I for one am not a fan of the Fiesta.... now the Focus hatch on the other hand
Old 01-19-2010, 10:44 PM   #8
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

Drives: The ladies wild!
Quote:
I for one am not a fan of the Fiesta.... now the Focus hatch on the other hand
i will second that
Midship Runabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:27 PM   #9
SLeRoux92

Drives: 2005 Nissan Xterra
Quote:
and the isuzu VEHIcross.
really, really rare
SLeRoux92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:21 AM   #10
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
FT-86+bigger motor+turbo = Supra
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:36 AM   #11
Lexicon101
Inexperienced

Drives: Crappy old '90 civic. Frankie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
FT-86+bigger motor+turbo = Supra
I can hang with that idea.
Lexicon101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:37 AM   #12
Lexicon101
Inexperienced

Quote:
To each his own I guess. I for one am not a fan of the Fiesta.... now the Focus hatch on the other hand
"To each his own I guess." Agreed. I prefer to steer clear of FORDs all-together.
I'd rather a rice-burner, kraut, or chevy, personally..
Old 01-20-2010, 04:38 AM   #13
Lexicon101
Inexperienced

Oh, and for my idea of what can be built on the FT platform...
Hovercraft.
Go, Toyota. Make it happen.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #14
Matador
hashiryu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon101 View Post
Oh, and for my idea of what can be built on the FT platform...
Hovercraft.
Go, Toyota. Make it happen.
lol... details?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon101 View Post
I can hang with that idea.
+1

p.s. Learn to use multiquote