follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

View Poll Results: COBB Accessport
Yes 235 81.88%
No thanks 52 18.12%
Voters: 287. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 11-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #57
MysteryMachine

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ, 2002 Bugeye OBS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I remember the good old days when Cobb did NA and only Subarus. I am still running a Cobb CAI, Headers/Cat/Exhaust on my 2002. They make quality stuff.

Even though at times I feel like Cobb left the true Suby enthusiasts I can't blame them for going after the "easier" money+horsepower with computer tunes.

Count me in if they make one... but would have to at least be announced very soon before I buy something else
MysteryMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #58
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Given that Cobb decided they weren't interested in the platform early on, are not interested enough now to participate in these forums, and there are plenty of other alternatives available now or are emerging soon, I think it's too late to try and convince or prove anything to Cobb that they can't figure out for themselves.

That said, if they feel like joining in, sure - go for it, competition is good, but at this point I don't see any reason why the onus should be on us consumers to have to prove the need/opportunity to them, the vendor.

Edit: just to clarify further - We've been burned before by vendors/tuners who felt we were insignificant to their bottomline and made it clear that they've got plenty of other business to keep them busy and we should simply be patient. If the FT86 market isn't worth it to them without us trying to make a case for it, I'd rather these vendors stay with their main bread and butter. On the other hand, if they see a viable market model that would work for them on the FT86 platform, then great - c'mon and join in, but if we're the ones that have to convince them of that, I suspect the market model doesn't exist for them to be in this long-term, or without some serious "yeah yeah, we hear what you guys are saying, but we only have so many resources available and you're not our only customer base, so chillax" type of mentality.

Last edited by Foobar; 11-12-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Foobar For This Useful Post:
yuicebox (11-18-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 11:51 PM   #59
1stGenBRZ86

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I say yes cause then Chris Miller can tune my car!
1stGenBRZ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #60
Circuit Motorsports

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Circuit Motorsports
I talked directly to Trey Cobb about this at SEMA last year. The reason they didn't want to bring out an Accessport for the Twins was not because they didn't think the 86 was "good enough" for their time or because they were "shunning" a certain market. The reason is they didn't feel people would want to pay Accessport money, to only gain a bit of power from an Off-the-shelf (OTS) map on an NA car.

It's justifiable to spend $600 on an Accessport for a WRX, flash a stage 2 map with a Downpipe change and gain about 25hp and 35ft/lbs. to the wheels and be on your merry way with no custom tuning and a big hike in power.

With the 86, it's NA, a big power jump isn't really doable with an OTS map. Right now an OTS map doesn't get you much. You really need a custom tune, tuned specifically for your car, mods, fuel, etc. to really get a good solid gain.

It's all about Money vs. Gains. Some guys will gladly pay for an OTS map and be happy, some won't. Cobb didn't think the market would be there. So they stuck with Factory FI cars. I don't really blame them.

If they had come out with an AP right away would it have sold like hotcakes? Maybe. We may never know.

Cobb makes a solid product and they support both their tuners and customers pretty well.

-Tristan
Circuit Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Circuit Motorsports For This Useful Post:
feldy (11-13-2013), subaruferrucci (11-13-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #61
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports View Post
I talked directly to Trey Cobb about this at SEMA last year. The reason they didn't want to bring out an Accessport for the Twins was not because they didn't think the 86 was "good enough" for their time or because they were "shunning" a certain market. The reason is they didn't feel people would want to pay Accessport money, to only gain a bit of power from an Off-the-shelf (OTS) map on an NA car.

It's justifiable to spend $600 on an Accessport for a WRX, flash a stage 2 map with a Downpipe change and gain about 25hp and 35ft/lbs. to the wheels and be on your merry way with no custom tuning and a big hike in power.

With the 86, it's NA, a big power jump isn't really doable with an OTS map. Right now an OTS map doesn't get you much. You really need a custom tune, tuned specifically for your car, mods, fuel, etc. to really get a good solid gain.

It's all about Money vs. Gains. Some guys will gladly pay for an OTS map and be happy, some won't. Cobb didn't think the market would be there. So they stuck with Factory FI cars. I don't really blame them.

If they had come out with an AP right away would it have sold like hotcakes? Maybe. We may never know.

Cobb makes a solid product and they support both their tuners and customers pretty well.

-Tristan
I guess it's safe to say they underestimated the market. People (including myself) were spending that money hand over fist for ecutek licenses/cables and what were essentially OTS maps.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #62
Circuit Motorsports

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Circuit Motorsports
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
I guess it's safe to say they underestimated the market. People (including myself) were spending that money hand over fist for ecutek licenses/cables and what were essentially OTS maps.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, when I talked to him I stressed how good it would be.

I think an Accessport for these cars would have been a good starting point for most people to move on to some custom tuning from there. Heck even now it would be good. The Cobb tuning software is a very nice program to tune with. We love it for the WRX & STi platforms.

-Tristan
Circuit Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Circuit Motorsports For This Useful Post:
xjohnx (11-13-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #63
subaruferrucci

Drives: FR-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
i have been holding off on getting tuning partly because of money and partly because i am waiting from something like the AP and not just OFT.
subaruferrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #64
usdmnotjdm
Large Member

Drives: BRZenith
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I'd love to get an AP for my BRZ. I had one for my 135i and loved it. being able to quickly flash back to stock is great. That said I wouldn't pay more than $500 if even that for an NA AP.
usdmnotjdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #65
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
If Cobb ever released an AP for the twins i'd jump to it in a heartbeat, without question. Even if I couldn't make as much power on it for some reason, i'd still go to it. There are so many tuners that support the AP that it would be worth it in the end.

Thats how much I support the accessport. Damn shame it didn't come for us, and i'm not holding my breath for one to come.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #66
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
Hey Fellow 86er's
I have been talking to the guys at COBB Tuning for a couple weeks now. As some of you guys may know already COBB is the biggest tuner for Subaru, and many other cars. They have a device called the Accessport that easily lets you connect to your cars ECU, and safely flash it to certain maps they have extensively pretested. There maps with some bolt ons help make more hp/tq (god knows the twins need more of both). You can also choose to take your car to certain tuners (like Yimi sport in Santa Clarita) and have your ecu flashed to fit your specific needs, or cars. The only thing is COBB is hesitant to make an Accessport for the twins, because they dont feel there is enough demand for the device. Now I can go on and on about how great this device is, and i invite you guys to check out the accessport specs, and details. But if we can get enough people who are willing to buy the accessport, or show interest for it, COBB will be willing to make one for the twins. So I turn to you guys who are enthusiast like me and really want the most out of your car to post in this thread if you are interested, and i will update this thread everyday to see how many people are. If we get enough interest the Accessport will begin production ASAP. I thank you all for taking the time to read this and sincerely hope any of you will chime in on what you think.
AP is the absolutely most preferred flashing method for the WRX/STI before going to a standalone ems for race cars. For under $600 you get free maps, free updates, no locked ECUs, a backup on the device of your factory tune, diagnostics, code reader, and ECU data reader and datalogging, all in a device smaller than a cell phone.

If they were to come out with one for the BRZ/FRS, I'd be thrilled. We'd have to wait a while after they decide to do it while they take the time to thoroughly build up solid OTS basemaps for various parts, stock setups, etc. on the various gasoline times we've got in the US (91ACN, 91, and 93), as well as differing variants for specific issues.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:00 AM   #67
genometuning

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Been wanting this to come out so bad haha
genometuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #68
yuicebox
Banned

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Why is it that everyone seems willing to support Cobb as an open, unlocked tuning platform but not Openflash Tablet?

I know Cobb is vetted as a subaru tuner but so is Shiv and the Open flash model is historically huge with the BMW crowd

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
yuicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yuicebox For This Useful Post:
EvilBeaverFace (11-18-2013), Shiv@Openflash (11-18-2013), ZionsWrath (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #69
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuicebox View Post
Why is it that everyone seems willing to support Cobb as an open, unlocked tuning platform but not Openflash Tablet?

I know Cobb is vetted as a subaru tuner but so is Shiv and the Open flash model is historically huge with the BMW crowd
The same reason that people still talk about the Crawford BRZ like it is the holy grail. Name recognition. Cobb has a good reputation on the Interwebs. I can tell you that almost every single Subaru in my area that has had an Accessport has sold it to switch to a freeware tune.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #70
yuicebox
Banned

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Fair enough, but here's my opinion:

Cobb clearly didn't think that it was worth the money to develop an Access Port for this car. If they do it now, it WILL be an afterthought. And while they might be able to catch up if they divulge enough manpower to the project, they're already behind the curve and not hugely enthusiastic.

Meanwhile, Openflash / Procede / Shiv have been in since pretty early in the game. They're championing the open tuning model for this car. Their track record working on BMWs more than speaks for itself, and their tuning is top quality.

Instead of begging a larger, less interested company to get in the game late, why not consider supporting the existing platform and helping it grow? The more people who get behind Openflash the better the product will become. That's the nature of grassroots tuning.

I get that Cobb is a big name for some old school subaru guys, but Openflash is really everything you all are asking for. It already exists, the base maps are very good and the development team is working their asses off to keep producing new maps. E85 should be out any day now and two supercharger base maps should be out in the next month.
And in case you're curious, I'm not affiliated in any way with OFT. I'm just a guy with opinions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
yuicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yuicebox For This Useful Post:
Shiv@Openflash (11-18-2013)