follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-25-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
Waukeen
Toyota Employee

Drives: 2014 FR-S , 2016 370z
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help, Audio cuts off with sub amp install. 2014 FR-S

I have the stock 2014 non navigation head unit in my FR-S like the one in the 10 series and just installed an amp and sub today. I know I might get some flak for this, but I did use the existing wiring to the stock amplifier. Like in this video from Kuhlka.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma5s8GLOd7w"]Subaru BRZ Quick Subwoofer Amp Install - YouTube[/ame].

Whenever I turn up the radio past approx. 30, I lose all audio. I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem. I did also use this wiring diagram as a reference when using the existing wiring. The amp gain is turned all the way down, and so is the bass boost.

If anyone can offer some help, that would be great. I couldn't find a topic related to this issue. The only way to get sound/power back to the speakers is to shut off the car, and then turn it back on. This is all the speakers, not just the 6" door speakers.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Last edited by Waukeen; 06-12-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Waukeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:42 AM   #2
rmjjensen

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited in WRB
If I were to venture I guess I would put money on the speaker level wiring used to drive the subwoofer amplifier. Something is shorted in the wiring or in the speaker level inputs to the amp which is causing the head unit to go into protection.

You can use process of elimination to determine if it's the wiring or the amp.

Try disconnecting the line-level input to the amplifier and turn up the volume. If it works past 30 for some time then shut the car off, put the speaker level inputs back in, disconnect the subwoofer wiring directly from the amp, turn the volume back up to 30. If it cuts out then something is up with the amp.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
kuhlka

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited AT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I made that video. Can you take photos of your setup? You're tapping the amp remote for your sub amp remote and the signals to the amp, not to the speakers, right? If you have any connections reversed, it might cause issues. I had an amp pop in my STI when I mistakenly set it to reversed polarity on my Pioneer head unit. Sad times.

I think it was
3 (FL+, light green)
4 (FR+, white)
8 (remote on, green)
9 (FL-, yellow)
10 (FR-, light blue)
kuhlka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:43 AM   #4
woode
Boosted Member

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via MSN to woode
Sounds like you have wires crossed..
Other thoughts, is your amp going into protect? Are you grounding your high level inputs? Do you have a good ground on the amp?

I don't remember pin #s, but the far right(looking from the back of the plug) it goes

FL+....FR+
FL-....FR-

EDIT: Your pinouts are correct. I would check to make sure you don't have any wires crossed/shorting. I used the OEM amp wiring for 2 amps and my setup is crystal clear all the way to max volume.
2010 Subaru Impreza WRX PRM SSM
woode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
Waukeen
Toyota Employee

Thank you Kuhlka for the video, and the rest for the help. I'm going to double check again in a little bit.

Kuhlka:
Yes - the wires I used are going to the amp from the head unit, and not to the speakers.

I'm sure I did something wrong.. lol. Just wanting to make sure. Took a while to get back to this as I work 70+ hrs/week.

I'll update when I fix whatever I messed up.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
Guzic
Clean as F86ck

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waukeen View Post
Thank you Kuhlka for the video, and the rest for the help. I'm going to double check again in a little bit.

Kuhlka:
Yes - the wires I used are going to the amp from the head unit, and not to the speakers.

I'm sure I did something wrong.. lol. Just wanting to make sure. Took a while to get back to this as I work 70+ hrs/week.

I'll update when I fix whatever I messed up.
Make sure the cables you tapped into the stock amp go into the Line In plugs on your aftermarket amp. That could be one of the main reasons why you have no sound. so for example, + and - of the right amp channel to the right in plug on the aftermarket amp.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
GotBRZ1691

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6smt
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Could be a loose or bad ground. I had this problem before. Clean your grounding point so the metal is bare. Fasten down hard.
GotBRZ1691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:09 AM   #8
mashal
DADA

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Where is your amp grounded?
mashal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #9
Waukeen
Toyota Employee

So, after a lot of banging my head against the wall, turns out the line converter that I had was defective. Everything was hooked up correctly to start with... Gotta love it. Thank you guys for helping to troubleshoot. Thank you Kuhlka for the video. It is pretty much the only good way other than re-wiring the actual plugs that go into the head unit. I actually had removed the leads from the plug going into the factory amp and soldered the new wires from the new line converter into the factory plug. Looks great and works great!

Thanks again guys!

Lucas