follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2017, 11:36 AM   #57
Detroiter

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
1. Did it grab hard close to the floor, or was it nothing... nothing... hnnnnnggg?

2. how was pedal weight?
I'm not sure if this is true for all of them but his grabbed about 1/3 up from the floor.

The pedal weight when pushing was similar to a stage 3 clutch I would say but it also had tons of force trying to push the clutch up on it's own.
Detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:05 PM   #58
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroiter View Post
I'm not sure if this is true for all of them but his grabbed about 1/3 up from the floor.

The pedal weight when pushing was similar to a stage 3 clutch I would say but it also had tons of force trying to push the clutch up on it's own.
I was curious because I've never experienced an aftermarket clutch. Seems like it was just way too much for the job, no?
Old 05-13-2017, 10:49 PM   #59
Detroiter

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I was curious because I've never experienced an aftermarket clutch. Seems like it was just way too much for the job, no?
For our cars I would say definitely way too much for the job but according to my friend the twin disc clutch was the only thing able to hold the power as he was just above 700tq.

On my old Audi A4 when I replaced the clutch I went with the RS4 clutch as a upgrade and the added weight and grabbing ability definitely took some getting used to but after a couple weeks it just felt normal again.
Detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Detroiter For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (05-13-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 09:09 PM   #60
revaholic

Drives: 2016 Ablaze Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just keep at it man, I actually did the same thing, I live in Toronto as well and the first time I truly drove stick was when I drove it home from the dealer. The clutch engagement did really surprise me because I think I was watching youtube videos of this guy driving his Mini and his clutch seemed to engage near the bottom. Something that helped me smooth out the 1-2 shift is I felt like the clutch engaged lower down than when starting off. I don't know why this is but I felt like this really helped me with that shift!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcutner View Post
Still learning in fact, don't feel 100% comfortable yet, but each day is better. I don't have much time to drive during the week (I take the subway to work, so it's basically just my weekend car).
revaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:19 AM   #61
jcutner

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by revaholic View Post
Just keep at it man, I actually did the same thing, I live in Toronto as well and the first time I truly drove stick was when I drove it home from the dealer. The clutch engagement did really surprise me because I think I was watching youtube videos of this guy driving his Mini and his clutch seemed to engage near the bottom. Something that helped me smooth out the 1-2 shift is I felt like the clutch engaged lower down than when starting off. I don't know why this is but I felt like this really helped me with that shift!
I had my solo journey to visit my parents east of Oshawa (about an hour away for non-Ontario forum members) and I did okay! It was nice to hop onto the highway in 4th gear, and pin it in an empty stretch to get up to speed and merge to the express.

On the way back, I hit a good amount of traffic, and boy oh boy, when you don't have the hang of manual, stop and go traffic on the highway suuuucks! Shift up and down, up and down, up and down. But, I made it there and back, with no stalls!
jcutner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:19 AM   #62
revaholic

Drives: 2016 Ablaze Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I had my solo journey to visit my parents east of Oshawa (about an hour away for non-Ontario forum members) and I did okay! It was nice to hop onto the highway in 4th gear, and pin it in an empty stretch to get up to speed and merge to the express.

On the way back, I hit a good amount of traffic, and boy oh boy, when you don't have the hang of manual, stop and go traffic on the highway suuuucks! Shift up and down, up and down, up and down. But, I made it there and back, with no stalls!
Fantastic - yeah I remember the stresses of driving it in stop-and-go situations. I promise you with time, you won't think about it much at all and you just get used to stop-and-go and modulating the clutch
revaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:18 PM   #63
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Glad to have finally joined the family!

She's a 2013 - Feb 2013 on the Door Jamb.

A bunch of questions in no particular order.
First, since it's my first stick shift, it's quite a learning curve. I assume it's normal that the clutch engagement/bite point feels very high up? I need more practice so I can build the muscle memory on where it is, as I'm still very jerky from a stop. Granted, I don't have many other clutches to compare it to, as I've only driven other manual cars once or twice for short periods of time.

I don't see too many Argento's around here - but I was wondering, if I choose to swap the taillights with Valenti's, I didn't realize how many options there are! What do you think would suit an Argento best? I don't think I want to go with anything too dark or smoked, so perhaps a clear or red lens?

I have the stock/base Stereo in there, and I was hoping to eventually add a subwoofer, something that is small so I can still retain trunk space, something like this https://www.amazon.ca/PIONEER-TSSWX2...ords=TSSWX2502
Do you know what would be a good/reasonable amp choice for that?
My plan is to plug the amp into the existing RCA jacks on the Stereo.

I think I may do the Helix Clear Side Markers too, to clean it up a bit.

Beyond that, no real mods planned apart from the very obvious driver mod, until I get confident and comfortable with driving the car, then I can hopefully start to enjoy the car for what it was built for!

I would recommend against the helix side markers , if your going clears I recommend the oem jdm ones. I had moisture issues with 3 sets of the helix markers and they effected my diode Dynamics LEDs. I had the oem jdm clears and they were flawless and have a noticeable quality difference for over 2 years
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:33 PM   #64
jcutner

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
I would recommend against the helix side markers , if your going clears I recommend the oem jdm ones. I had moisture issues with 3 sets of the helix markers and they effected my diode Dynamics LEDs. I had the oem jdm clears and they were flawless and have a noticeable quality difference for over 2 years
Damn that sucks. I was eyeing the Helix's for the price point too. I think the OEM JDM markers will be out of my budget.
jcutner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:02 PM   #65
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

What I do when I'm stuck on dvp is wait until there's a gap in front of me and the car in front, and when the whole lane starts crawling, I put it in first and let the car creep on its own without giving it gas. Of course the cars stop cause they all drive automatics and keep doing the stop and go thing. But by the time I creep to the back of the car in front of me, more often than not they get moving again so that way I don't have to wear out the clutch by constantly putting it into neutral and reengaging.
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:13 PM   #66
MurderousPandas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
What I do when I'm stuck on dvp is wait until there's a gap in front of me and the car in front, and when the whole lane starts crawling, I put it in first and let the car creep on its own without giving it gas. Of course the cars stop cause they all drive automatics and keep doing the stop and go thing. But by the time I creep to the back of the car in front of me, more often than not they get moving again so that way I don't have to wear out the clutch by constantly putting it into neutral and reengaging.
I usually let the car in front of the car in front of me go, then i throw it in gear. By the time i'm in gear, the car in front is me is moving, and by that time i'm also moving. I never creeped though, i love revving my car, even if i'm only moving 2 inches up.

Plus side to a manual car for OP is that lack of need for a horn. Just rev the car, dump the clutch, left foot brake, and the car in front of you gets the idea of what you want him/her to do. 99% of the time it works all the time.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
MurderousPandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:27 PM   #67
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,247 Times in 8,614 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderousPandas View Post
99% of the time it works all the time.
Ok, I give up. Which one?
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:49 AM   #68
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,827 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Ok, I give up. Which one?
.......pay attention ...... 99% of the time ...... it works all of the time ..... the other 1% of the time it don't work at all ....... which causes an accident ...... 99% of that 1% of that time.

@MurderousPandas can get away with that because they got no hills in Florida ....... don't be trying that going over to Santa Cruz ....

See ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Sapphireho (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #69
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,247 Times in 8,614 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
.......pay attention ...... 99% of the time ...... it works all of the time ..... the other 1% of the time it don't work at all ....... which causes an accident ...... 99% of that 1% of that time.

@MurderousPandas can get away with that because they got no hills in Florida ....... don't be trying that going over to Santa Cruz ....

See ......

humfrz
Wouldn't the horn be easier?
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:54 PM   #70
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,827 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Wouldn't the horn be easier?
You need to realize that the poster is from Florida ....... where the old folks lay on their horns all of the time ...... thus a horn blast don't mean nutten.

Besides, the old folks are mostly deaf and wouldn't hear a horn anyways.

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote