follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #57
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Drives: Perrin/VORTECH Supercharger TestBRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
Yes, it was.
The only other car that has my setup to date is Perrins. Globally. Period.

So,You drove his car and thought the sc was not impressive?

No, there are only two of these, other "10psi" kits arent the "same" kit, fwiw, think what you will tho.

Surely youre a turbo client either way, I dont see why youre here on each and every SC thread telling everyone how unimpressed you are. I look fwd to hearing about your turbo build when you have it.
The Oil temps and IAT temps are where the hotspots hapen after extended use.

I'm comparing $5500 turbos to $5500 SC builds, and I feel like the SC has a better vantage point when looking at cost per psi. You clearly have stated you think otherwise, no need to repeat yourself. On each and every Vortech thread. Im allowed to be a fan of something I own. Not sure what you have against this SC really, but l am interested in learning more about your 10psi test drive..
Huehuecoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huehuecoyotl For This Useful Post:
Calum (03-11-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #58
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
The only other car that has my setup to date is Perrins. Globally. Period.
Oh, so you're running the 14psi pulley? Sorry, I only drove the "10" which turns out to be about 11 or so.

Quote:
So,You drove his car and thought the sc was not impressive?

No, there are only two of these, other "10psi" kits arent the "same" kit, fwiw, think what you will tho.
Not his, but he's not the only vendor selling these kits, now is he?

Quote:
Surely youre a turbo client either way, I dont see why youre here on each and every SC thread telling everyone how unimpressed you are. I look fwd to hearing about your turbo build when you have it.
You haven't been paying attention. I'm not a turbo customer. Feel free to ask any of the turbo vendors here yourself. I'm here, because you're back spreading misinformation about turbos again. My other car is turboed, the BRZ will be supercharged.

Quote:
The Oil temps and IAT temps are where the hotspots hapen after extended use.
The oil temps get pretty damn hot with the Vortech. IAT is more related to the effectiveness of the IC, not the charger.

Quote:
I'm comparing $5500 turbos to $5500 SC builds, and I feel like the SC has a better vantage point when looking at cost per psi. You clearly have stated you think otherwise, no need to repeat yourself. On each and every Vortech thread. Im allowed to be a fan of something I own. Not sure what you have against this SC really, but l am interested in learning more about your 10psi test drive..
Lol, you'll be learning a lot more than my test drive, really soon
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2forme For This Useful Post:
dabocx (03-10-2013), Sportsguy83 (03-10-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #59
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Out of respect for the OP, I moved my reply to Gem over to his thread.
hey not looking to get all antagonistic, but its a fun test to envision or imagine a test, with the end result/max loss be something like..a beer? I like debates, and testing. I'm a day or two out from being able to post my dyno, so we got a lil time to kill, yes?

Ya know, lets imagine this, shall we, "out do any similar budget turbo on the track after the 2nd lap" is what I said.

1st let me define "out do" since I have been speaking relative to both heat and power,not just power, and it should all translate to lap time since its in the realm of track, that I speak:

how do two similarly priced systems actually perform, since that was the point of my statement, that seems to be your point of debate. I dont doubt a turbo kit can make 20psi, it can also make enough heat, or power issues to warrant spending more-that was my point. I'm good trying to have fun with it. lets. 91 fuel. summer time. here by my latitude. Lets do some imaginary, or real e-testing, shall we?

All I have is a vortech kit with some 'tweaks', to be as non descript as possible, same compressor ,same FMIC,same BOV,same belt,same mounts as anyone else witha Vortech kit.

I happen to think I make near 10psi output with less heat than the turbo guy running a similarly built, similarly priced setup. This is teh basis of my statement quoted above that youre diggin into...

Not trying to start a war or anything, but its a fun bet, how about looser buys winner a beer of winners choice? Whats your fav brew? I'm a sucker for Alaskan Amber in domestics, and in Foreign, I like that Bodingtons. I'm made fun of when I drink Arrogant Bastard. Lol.

It will be lap times vs lap times for the day with begin heat levels, oil and water vs end heat levels oil and water, for each session that get logged, along with lap times. Winner has to have both faster lap times and lower temps for any given session.

Let the other car have a basic kit, like mine, no fancy radiator, no fancy mods outside of what a basic kit comes with, you choose the turbo unit of your choice, it can have its turbo, its method of pushing oil thru the turbo, its FMIC, its BOV. Basic, like mine. Lets us have a price cap of $6000 for the budget for the FI kit.

Since I'm speaking relative to my car vs whatever, lets make the limits as follows:
-stock radiators
-Test should be done in Socal or Phx. best of a days laps.
-both kits equal tires and similar suspension, I'm on sticky DOT 225s so lets keep it no wider
-no add on items outside what comes with stage1 kit setup, we both run
-without added on perrin oil coolers
-we both run without any fuel upgrades, oe pump and injection, like me
otherwise the systems are no longer similarly priced, right?
this was the pov from which my statement originated..

again, my thread and my car is just an example of what a basic vortech kit can be made to do, with this v3 spec'd kit they are selling today
This would be staying in line with the perspective from which I speak, and how my car has been. I have really not been able to run it much since putting the oil cooler back on, with the weather we have had of late.

If you really think a similarly priced turbo is equally as efficient with regards to heat, power and cost, I'd say you may be close, but I like me a beer! Wouldnt that be a fun day at the track?

so, whose turbo kit would you be using in our real or imaginary test, @2forme? surely, you wont be selecting a twin screw for this test, if it were a sc would you?

Last edited by Huehuecoyotl; 03-10-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #60
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
@Huehuecoyotl there is no way you can title this thread "3rd party review" when your car is one of the development cars for Vortech and you are fanboy #1.... You are getting the cake and eating it all including icing...

Also, I bet the TC kit with an oil cooler will keep the temps in check.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Calum (03-10-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #61
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Garage
@Sportsguy83

... when 3rd parties have been in and driven my car, you will hear from them, so yeah, as you keenly observed, so far its been my biased, fanboyish, having my car, cake and eating it too perspective as all I can share with you all. I'm sure you will see more objectivity as others who have been exposed my build can chime in. I didnt think my review was so far off, but so far every post seems to be from folks who have not driven my car, but feel they have something to add to my thread...I'm sure youre all here for the 3rd party stuff, so like i said, take what I post with a grain of salt

this hasnt happpend yet, but should soon, stay tuned, looking to get to PHX to dyno this week, and meeting with some local members next week
Old 03-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #62
Sonolin
Banned

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Any plans for videos Hue?
Sonolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #63
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
That took longer then I thought.

Sent from mission control
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
Freeman (03-10-2013), OrbitalEllipses (03-11-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #64
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonolin View Post
Any plans for videos Hue?
yes, for sure
Old 03-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #65
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
@Sportsguy83

... when 3rd parties have been in and driven my car...
Ok, looking forward to it. The feedback I'm reading from third parties getting the "normal" Vortech kit (not your super secret only you and Perrin have worldwide) is mixed from good to disappointment.

/Off Topic

Now please Gem (this is me personally talking to you, not me as a moderator), I encourage you to step back for a moment and look at the way your last posts are going. You are going exactly down the path that got you banned last time. Please, try and stop the little baseless jabs at other kits like "the TC kits can't hold 10 psi of boost to redline".

It gets educated people riled up and brings problems, clutter, stupid stuff into the forum, etc...

Don't take it the wrong way, I'm genuinely trying to help.

/End Off Topic.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #66
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Garage
@sportguy83 Where did I say "the TC kits can't hold 10 psi of boost to redline", could you point out my post#, please? show me where I authored this, or it was quoted, please. sw20kosh authored that, NOT me. Dont pin me for what others write in response to my posts, or as a misunderstandings, or assume I mean what they write! I know TCs can hold more psi. I simply think they make more heat, and a hotter charge. I'm entitled to be wrong, and if I am prove it so.

Last edited by Huehuecoyotl; 03-11-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #67
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Gem, the problem isn't that you have an opinion about your supercharger. The problem is when you start making comparisons to justify your choice. You make blanket statements like "TC's produce sooo much more heat" and "SC's will win on the track every time". That causes the commotion.

You love your Vortech, that's great. All the power to you, but don't put down other peoples choices when they have different opinions/wants/needs than your own.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2forme For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (03-11-2013), Huehuecoyotl (03-10-2013), skatery1989 (03-10-2013), Sportsguy83 (03-10-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #68
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
@sportguy83 Where did I say "the TC kits can't hold 10 psi of boost to redline", could you point out my post#, please? show me where I authored this, or it was quoted, please. sw20kosh authored that, NOT me. Dont pin me for what others write in response to my posts, or as a misunderstandings, or assume I mean what they write! I know TCs can hold more psi. I simply think they make more heat, and a hotter charge. I'm entitled to be wrong, and if I am prove it so.

If there is anywhere else I offended anyone elses system let me know, cause I am careful to not,
where am I taking jabs at any other kit? can you please quote me, and cite the post number you find offensive?

my betting something is not cause for banning, or moderation, if you ask me

simply saying a SC spins without contributing heat to the oil system the same way a TC does isnt a "jab" at any system, nor is my stipulating that as a result, theres less thermal management that needs to go into my build strategy, and as I see it, less costs.

I havent mentioned any system, have I?
Stating that centri's and twin screws have very different upgrade paths isnt a jab
it shouldnt get people riled up
betting a sc will run cooler than a TC isnt a Jab
it shouldnt get folks riled up: One technology uses engine oil to cool its bearings the other a separate oil system

If folks get riled up by shedding light, or sharing my opinion, should I not share opinion, even where its clearly stated as such> I am entitled to loose a bet right? frankly, I would appreciate your help more if you could cite what language I used that offended anyone or any kit and cite my post number.

I am not trying to make waves!
If I owe anyone an apology or if something should be edited or deleted, I want to be on that first!

y'all need to ease up on me
"-I'm betting most any SC will out do any similar budget turbo on the track after the 2nd lap, yes your peak HP early on may be higher than mine tho"
isnt call for ANYONE to get bent, correct me if I am wrong here. I am allowed to have an opinion, or arent I?
This whole post is a great example of what @Sportsguy83 was talking about. You haven't said anything overtly offensive, in fact you're being reasonable. But you still come off as an arrogant prick. I have no idea what your like in person. I don't know how to explain how not to come off as a ****, nor is it the job of anyone here. That's something you need to find within yourself.

You've managed to wiggle your way into being in a position to be able to offer something meaningful to this community. Please don't fuck it up again by not taking the advice that Sportsguy83 tried to offered you.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
2forme (03-10-2013), Sportsguy83 (03-10-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #69
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Actually, you deleted that post. I had just read it, you said something like "I see TC kits not able to hold 9-10 psi at redline" and it was right before @sw20kosh post my bad for not quoting it at the time I read it.... BUT that is besides the point.

Don't pay attention to me Gem, I only posted to try and help you stay here and note get in trouble. You do what you have to do. I would really appreciate if you could just keep things in perspective, truthful and accurate to prevent flame wars..... BUT here we are, back to square one... I even defended you on this thread, but I am starting to see the same behaviors as before... I won't say anything else about it. Again, just wanted to help.

Last edited by Sportsguy83; 03-10-2013 at 08:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
2forme (03-10-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #70
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Garage
Ahh, here we have all the same faces, and yes, all the same bait

Quote:
All the power to you, but don't put down other peoples choices when they have different opinions/wants/needs than your own.
@2forme Before I was putting down kits,( and turbos ), now I am putting down peoples choices, huh?yet no evidence of where I put down any kit, it seems. or anyones choice was attacked, but hokay, this is comic!
Now, I am in trouble for posts I had the wisdom to delete too, it seems. either I'm slick, or you all have nothing on me. maybe you're making something outta nothing and should all simmer down.

Trust me, @Calum, am trying to not fuck this up.
If haven't said anything overtly offensive, AND, another user says that, in fact I'm being reasonable. But I still come off as an arrogant prick? No, I dont get what you mean. Sorry.

@Sportsguy83, now its not something I said, theres nothing you can produce, but now my 'behaviour' is not acceptable? WTF? Rather, I mean could you please elaborate?maybe its best to not and drop this attack against me.

How am I behaving- defensive at some of these posts? elated with my kit? unsure as to why folks are coming here posting their reviews of other peoples vortech kits?
yes, indeed.

geeshh...back off folks.

Quote:
Gem, the problem isn't that you have an opinion about your supercharger. The problem is when you start making comparisons to justify your choice. You make blanket statements like "TC's produce sooo much more heat" and "SC's will win on the track every time". That causes the commotion.
Thanks for your specific example, I do see what you mean and will try to be more aware of my writing style, didnt mean for this nonsense to start again. Thanks for pointing this out.
I'm here to share my build, not start trouble, guys, got that? I see that "SC's will win on the track every time" got folks upset, it wasnt meant that way. Let me try and excuse myself and call it self affirmation. No harm meant at any TC owners builders buyers or fans. I own TC's too. I will try to watch how I post my enthusiasm, and will be more careful, okay?

My next post will be a dyno post
EDIT 3/11/13-dyno appointment made for 3/13/13
and yes, I am gonna ignore the rest of you, I think thats what is in my interest.

Forum ignore list updated. its for the best.

Last edited by Huehuecoyotl; 03-11-2013 at 02:02 PM.