follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #29
Mattr762

Drives: 2002 Subaru WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoCartman View Post
... hands at ten and two on the wheel; ...
My 16 year old son got his license this year through AAA and they teach the hands to be at 9 and 3 now.
Mattr762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #30
FRSpdDmn

Drives: 128i, Z3 Coupe, Fiero GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattr762 View Post
My 16 year old son got his license this year through AAA and they teach the hands to be at 9 and 3 now.
Please send him to Street Survival. www.streetsurvival.org
2012 NASA SpecE30 National Champion
www.DriveFasterNow.com
FRSpdDmn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSpdDmn For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #31
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
UPDATE: $%*$%#ing @#$*& of &@!# government!!! AAAAGH!!!

So after calling around to a few places in Vegas, including one very good body shop I've used in the past... NOBODY will touch modifying the headrest on a new car. Because it's labeled as a "safety system" (and yes, I will continue to use sarcastic quotes around that phrase), they won't modify them for fear of violating the law, or exposure to lawsuits.

So, let's recap. Car purpose built for driving fun, as the successor to the venerable AE86, that I've waited five years for... undone by one STUPID piece of foam and fabric. <beating... head... on... desk...>

Well, if I gotta violate the law to be able to drive my car comfortably, might as well go big or go home. Who's got the proper airbag-system-tricking resistor identified for those aftermarket seats? I think I need me some Brides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattr762 View Post
Interesting. Wonder what the rationale is for the change after all these years? Wonder if it has to do with traditional manuals going away and flappy-paddles replacing them?
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #32
Klinn

Drives: '20 Pure Red BRZ, '20 Torch Red C8
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Interesting. Wonder what the rationale is for the change (to 9 and 3) after all these years?
Bio-mechanics. Hands at 9 & 3 lets you rotate the steering wheel slightly more without having to move your hands from the wheel.
Klinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #33
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Interesting. Wonder what the rationale is for the change after all these years? Wonder if it has to do with traditional manuals going away and flappy-paddles replacing them?
Airbags. 10+2 brings the forearms closer to the path of the airbag. 9+3 keep the hands and arm from any possible interference with the airbag's deployment.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Draco-REX For This Useful Post:
TuxedoCartman (05-31-2012), wheeladdict (06-02-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 01:13 PM   #34
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
That is what we call, a bad idea. Somebody bumps you from behind at anything over 10 mph, and the best you could hope for is paralysis.
The same is true of this whole thread, until those Brides or Recaros come with side airbags that work with BRZ/FR-S. Otherwise a regular t-bone on the street will have you hoping for paralysis.

P.S. I have zero issues with current headrest, unless I'm wearing a helmet.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #35
phattyduck

Drives: '03 WRX Wagon, '89 Camry Alltrac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinn View Post
Bio-mechanics. Hands at 9 & 3 lets you rotate the steering wheel slightly more without having to move your hands from the wheel.
True for racing, and driving safety. Bumps in the road also affect your driving direction less with hands on opposite sides of the wheel. One of my pet peeves is people that drive without their hands on on opposite sides of the wheel for on-ramps, curves, etc. (of course, while cruising straight I usually just have one hand on the bottom of the wheel... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
Airbags. 10+2 brings the forearms closer to the path of the airbag. 9+3 keep the hands and arm from any possible interference with the airbag's deployment.
Bingo. This is the 'official' reason, though the above quote is more important for active safety purposes. One hand at the top of the wheel is the most dangerous for airbag purposes.

As for the headrest... I miss the day of easily adjustable ratcheting-type headrests on cars.

-Charlie
phattyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phattyduck For This Useful Post:
TuxedoCartman (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #36
phattyduck

Drives: '03 WRX Wagon, '89 Camry Alltrac
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgerbc View Post
The same is true of this whole thread, until those Brides or Recaros come with side airbags that work with BRZ/FR-S. Otherwise a regular t-bone on the street will have you hoping for paralysis.

Not gonna happen.

Did you just not drive before side airbags? Subarus are insanely safe, even without the side airbags.

I've had many friends remove bumper beams (front AND rear), factory seats with airbags, front airbags, etc. and never have a problem with insurance for their cars (after totaling cars, etc.)... but of course, that's not an endorsement of that activity. (full disclosure: I removed the side airbags from my WRX when I went to JDM seats)

-Charlie
phattyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phattyduck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #37
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for chiming in with that!

Quote:

So, what... your helpful solution is that we should all just be you, dsgerbc? Stated right there in the opening post: if you're comfortable with the new style seats, I'm happy, but this thread isn't for you.

As for Brides or Recaros not being as safe as stock seats, you're absolutely correct about that. If you'd read the entire post, you'd see that's why I've been trying my hardest to find a solution to fixing the stock seats, rather than going aftermarket. But something has to change, because that theoretical safety is doing me no good when I can't drive the car for more than 10 minutes without getting distracted by neck pain (and driver distraction is far and away the number one biggest cause of accidents).

Personally, I feel the risk of side-impact is lower where I live than rear-ending, so if I have to give up some safety design safety to be able to drive this car, I'd rather it be side airbags than a proper head restraint for my seating position. Next time, read before responding.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #38
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
^You have many stupid friends.
Or, they made a calculated risk. Just because you don't agree with their level of acceptable risk doesn't make them or you stupid.

OP, with my impreza, which has headrests that conform to today's standards, I found raising the headrest all the way helped a little.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #39
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICantAffordAnLFA View Post
Like those recaros.

Does anyone know what the stock chair weighs?
This vid said lil less than 20kg... 19.4kg to be technical
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGWXSqiLHXU"]ƒ›ƒƒƒˆƒƒ‚ƒƒ Vol.116 (Hot-Version Vol.116) - YouTube[/ame]
Old 05-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #40
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
This vid said lil less than 20kg... 19.4kg to be technical
Thanks for posting that, ichitaka! I've got to be one of the only people... ever... to consider putting Recaros or Brides in a car not for the bling factor or perceived performance gains, but to actually improve comfort, LOL...

Do wonder how much longer, though, before the Japanese government starts regulating aftermarket seats for cars, the way they do wheels? I won't lie: I would pay buckets of money to get a Recaro SR 7 with side-impact airbags installed. (But only if they don't have the same damn head-rest problems.)
Old 05-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #41
ttknf

Drives: 350z Nismo, CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for posting that, ichitaka! I've got to be one of the only people... ever... to consider putting Recaros or Brides in a car not for the bling factor or perceived performance gains, but to actually improve comfort, LOL...

Do wonder how much longer, though, before the Japanese government starts regulating aftermarket seats for cars, the way they do wheels? I won't lie: I would pay buckets of money to get a Recaro SR 7 with side-impact airbags installed. (But only if they don't have the same damn head-rest problems.)
SR-7s are hands down the most comfortable aftermarket seat I've ever sat in (I have tried every single aftermarket JDM Recaro and all the USDM ones), and I've driven the SR-7s quite a bit and they're just spectacular. However, modifying the seat to accept an airbag just isn't feasible (not enough space or support in the frame of the bolster to properly accommodate it).

My best suggestion is to find a Toyota or Subaru seat that has stays the same diameter and at a better angle for you and have an auto upholstery shop swap them into your headrests. (Alternatively, you can keep looking around for a shop that is willing to bend the OEM ones for you, or you could even put them into a vice and pound them "flatter" yourself).
ttknf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #42
chitownwrx

Drives: WRX
I have to add my 2c. The headrest issue kept me from buying a Legacy back in 2006. Same problem. NHTSA mandated them, and they are designed for a 5'9" male. Some marques have found a way to minimize the excessive rake by adding more bolstering to the upper back / scapula area. The new Impreza actually seems to have adjustable rake. But yeah, this is a deal breaker for me.
chitownwrx is offline   Reply With Quote