follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-19-2017, 02:36 AM   #1
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fuel Pressure Gauge Question

I got a fuel pressure gauge to fill my gauge pod.

I am not sure where to install the pressure sensor. Does anyone know a good location to install it so I can finish the gauge install?
Old 12-19-2017, 12:32 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,818 Times in 16,426 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Which fuel pressure do you wish to monitor ....... the pressure created from the pump in the fuel tank or the pressure from the HPFP ..... ??

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:35 PM   #3
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Which fuel pressure do you wish to monitor ....... the pressure created from the pump in the fuel tank or the pressure from the HPFP ..... ??

humfrz
I have a turbo kit being fabricated. It should be here in 1-2 weeks. I installed a gauge pod and went with fuel pressure, oil temp, oil pres, and a boost controller with AFR, boost, and some.

Do you know where I should track fuel to monitor for proper fuel pressure? Or would you recommend a better item to track besides fuel pressure to fill the gauge slot?
Old 12-19-2017, 05:32 PM   #4
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife26 View Post
I have a turbo kit being fabricated. It should be here in 1-2 weeks. I installed a gauge pod and went with fuel pressure, oil temp, oil pres, and a boost controller with AFR, boost, and some.

Do you know where I should track fuel to monitor for proper fuel pressure? Or would you recommend a better item to track besides fuel pressure to fill the gauge slot?
Again.......

What pressure do you want to monitor?

Port injectors or Direct Injectors?

It honestly sounds like you should NOT be turboing your car.
Or paying someone to do everything for you.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:36 PM   #5
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
Again.......

What pressure do you want to monitor?

Port injectors or Direct Injectors?

Nvm then. I just won't turbo it. Its fine I'll do more research and figure it out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2017, 06:37 PM   #6
Strife26

Or, if there someone out there kind enough to help a guy out on what fuel pressure to monitor for turbo purposes, I would appreciate your input. Also, this gauge, tbh, is just a slot filler. Of my choices, it seemed the most useful. None of the choices seemed that great aside from what I already have.

I am not looking for your advice on how I should mod my car or anything else. I am asking where I should place a fuel pressure sensor for a gauge. If you don't know (just like me) then I suppose you don't need to answer unless it is constructive.

Read my signature. If I am just too fkn stupid for you, just move on. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2017, 07:17 PM   #7
Strife26

Or, or, or! Would an EGT gauge be more beneficial than fuel pressure? I just didn't have any more options.

EGT, Fuel pressure, or ethanol content/fuel temp were the only options I had. I am wondering now if EGT might have been better...
Old 12-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #8
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
Oh, my, that was a bit harsh .......
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 07:36 PM   #9
humfrz

Quote:
Or, if there someone out there kind enough to help a guy out on what fuel pressure to monitor for turbo purposes, I would appreciate your input. Also, this gauge, tbh, is just a slot filler. Of my choices, it seemed the most useful. None of the choices seemed that great aside from what I already have.
Well, as I understand the situation, if you try to monitor the pressure at the direct injectors ...... the gauge better have lots of numbers on it ......

If you just want to monitor something in reference to fuel pressure, I reckon it would make sense to monitor the pressure of the port injectors ...... maybe tap into the fuel rail ......

What you may wish to do is let us know what all you are planning on measuring ....... then the FI folks in the know, could recommend what else to monitor .....

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 07:51 PM   #10
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, as I understand the situation, if you try to monitor the pressure at the direct injectors ...... the gauge better have lots of numbers on it ......

If you just want to monitor something in reference to fuel pressure, I reckon it would make sense to monitor the pressure of the port injectors ...... maybe tap into the fuel rail ......

What you may wish to do is let us know what all you are planning on measuring ....... then the FI folks in the know, could recommend what else to monitor .....

humfrz
Thanks. Tbh, I just want to fill the slot. Maybe fuel pressure wasn't the best choice. Just trying to add anything to help tune and monitor the car (paying for a tune). I already have oil pressure/temp... Rather, I have...

Innovate scg-1 boost controller
Innovative mtx-d oil temp/pressure
Innovative mtx-d fuel pressure

If someone wants to suggest a better item to monitor, I am all ears and I'll get that gauge instead, otherwise I'll have an empty hole in the gauge pod (I know, air bag and yummy gauges in case of wreck). Going to see if I can disable that one airbag.

I am a newbie, yes. I don't deny it. That's not going to stop me from boosting and learning all about it. I am trying to learn to tune myself too (the first tune will be from Shiv).

Any helpful posts/comments are greatly appreciated.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:44 PM   #11
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I'd rather be harsh with the truth than have someone jump in over their head and destroy their engine.
Not saying OP doesn't, but I err on the side of caution.

If you can only have 3 gauges...
Boost/AFR Like you have.
Oil temp/Press
EGT

On top of that I'd personally have water temp.
One with actual numbers, but there are other options like an OBD2 reader.

Fuel Press is nice but imo unneeded.
Maybe if you track it and are seeing enough side G to cause fuel starvation.

Gauges to help tune.
Boost
AFR
Fuel Press
EGT

Gauges to make sure the car is running ok while driving.
Boost
AFR
EGT
Oil Temp/Press
Water Temp.

Can also throw flex fuel gauge (ethanol content) in there as well if going that route.

Edit: If tuned properly with that boost/AFR gauge the ecu should pull boost and possibly even be able to put the car into limp mode if the car starts going lean from fuel starvation.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-19-2017), jcw99 (08-04-2022), Strife26 (12-20-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #12
armstrom

Drives: none
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Here's a DIY I posted a while back on my fuel pressure gauge install: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121645

There stock ECU already has a fuel pressure sensor for the direct injection rail. This sensor reads the low-pressure supplied by the in-tank pump.

-Matt
armstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to armstrom For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (08-04-2022), Strife26 (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 10:38 PM   #13
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrom View Post
Here's a DIY I posted a while back on my fuel pressure gauge install: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121645

There stock ECU already has a fuel pressure sensor for the direct injection rail. This sensor reads the low-pressure supplied by the in-tank pump.

-Matt
Perfect! That's what I was thinking of when I chose this gauge. I read you can run into a low fuel pressure issue on sharp left turns? I figured it'd be good to monitor especially while on stock fuel pump/assembly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Strife26 For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (08-04-2022)
Old 12-19-2017, 10:57 PM   #14
armstrom

Drives: none
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Perfect! That's what I was thinking of when I chose this gauge. I read you can run into a low fuel pressure issue on sharp left turns? I figured it'd be good to monitor especially while on stock fuel pump/assembly.

To be honest, a fuel pressure gauge is of limited value for daily driving. On the track? Sure... or in my case, for diagnostic purposes. I never really installed a gauge, I simply built my own gauge "receiver" with an Arduino and LCD display. I was trying to diagnose a lean condition I was experiencing so checking fuel pressure was one of the things I needed to check. I still have the sensor installed but no gauge installed. I will eventually complete my custom wiring to allow me to switch between my fuel pressure sensor and Wideband O2 sensor to log though the narrow-band O2 sensor ECU input.

-Matt
armstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to armstrom For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (08-04-2022), Strife26 (12-19-2017)