follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
sesmls

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited, 05 Baja Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Keyless remote replacement

Looks like I've already lost one of my keyless remote fobs for my BRZ Limited. I was looking on eBay and both the Avalon and the Camry have the same remote. Does anyone know if these would work? Is there anything special/different about BRZ's system (frequency?). Any idea on dealer price for a new remote? I'm guessing well over $200...

If I can buy a replacement from a Toyota on eBay for about $70 and get it programmed, that seems the way to go...
sesmls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Maps316

Drives: Nissan Altima
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I lost one of my fobs for my nissan altima 2010 and the dealership was charging 280 to replace the fob, key, cut the key, and reprogram which is a total rip. So Im guessing for the BRZ they are going to charge about the same. Your better off buying the fob/key from ebay for like 60 bucks and get the reprograming for like 100
Old 07-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Just call up the dealership and ask I've found prices on both the remotes and programming them are all over the place for most cars. Since its a recent sale I'd go to your sales person first and see if they can get you a deal.

Don't expect programming to be cheap. This is for the most part a dealer only function so many will overcharge. For my honda I couldn't find a local dealer who would program it for less then $75.
neutron256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
phanguy

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I was recently doing some reading so I could use a flip key for my FR-S since they seem pretty neat... Anyway I could find any keys on e-bay that appeared to work with the FR-S (probably because it's too new), but I suppose there is a chance that one of those Toyota keys would have worked... Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that it may be possible for you to get a new key and program it yourself. I did a bunch of reading and the programming is the same for every Toyota. This is assuming that our wireless locking system is from Toyota and not Subaru... Which seems likely since the key is Toyota shaped. At least for my FR-S. I haven't seen the BRZ key.

So if you're brave enough to try to get a factory key and program it yourself then here is how it's supposed to work:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-existing.html
phanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
neutron256

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanguy View Post
I was recently doing some reading so I could use a flip key for my FR-S since they seem pretty neat... Anyway I could find any keys on e-bay that appeared to work with the FR-S (probably because it's too new), but I suppose there is a chance that one of those Toyota keys would have worked... Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that it may be possible for you to get a new key and program it yourself. I did a bunch of reading and the programming is the same for every Toyota. This is assuming that our wireless locking system is from Toyota and not Subaru... Which seems likely since the key is Toyota shaped. At least for my FR-S. I haven't seen the BRZ key.

So if you're brave enough to try to get a factory key and program it yourself then here is how it's supposed to work:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-existing.html
The BRZ/FRS/FT86 are all using Toyota's keyless entry, start, and immobilizer systems.

The link you provided seems to be the method for programming the keyless entry remote, but if you read all the way through the thread it looks like it doesn't program the key to work with the immobilizer (i.e. it will open the car but won't start it.).

As far as I know the only way to program the immobilizer is with Toyota tools like Techstream which is a great tool but you even with it you need a special "Security Professional" account to add/remove keys.

I'd love to add a 3rd fob for my BRZ cheaply so I'd be happy to be wrong about this. If anyone has other info let me know.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
Nate219BRZ

Drives: Rip 04 golf gti rip 05 scion TC
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It cant be anymore exspensive for a toyota key then a VW. 385 each. I lost both keys between moving and winter storage and had to order 2 new keys, from germany, that cost me almost 800 dollars. Went to get the car out of storage and the storage manager said someone turned in the keys after they found them right outside my storage unit. I asked when did they turn them in and he said the day after i came in and asked. I changed my phone number so he couldnt get ahold of me. Had 4 keys for a car with 2 doors. DOH
Nate219BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
phanguy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron256 View Post
The BRZ/FRS/FT86 are all using Toyota's keyless entry, start, and immobilizer systems.

The link you provided seems to be the method for programming the keyless entry remote, but if you read all the way through the thread it looks like it doesn't program the key to work with the immobilizer (i.e. it will open the car but won't start it.).

As far as I know the only way to program the immobilizer is with Toyota tools like Techstream which is a great tool but you even with it you need a special "Security Professional" account to add/remove keys.

I'd love to add a 3rd fob for my BRZ cheaply so I'd be happy to be wrong about this. If anyone has other info let me know.
Oh right. I didn't read the whole way through and though the OP had a regular key, not the push to start. Should work for the premium BRZs though yeah?

Wish I could find a key with the electronics that's supposed to work for our car... I don't make enough to just shell out the dough to buy a bunch to test them all. haha.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
neutron256

Quote:
Oh right. I didn't read the whole way through and though the OP had a regular key, not the push to start. Should work for the premium BRZs though yeah?

Wish I could find a key with the electronics that's supposed to work for our car... I don't make enough to just shell out the dough to buy a bunch to test them all. haha.
I doubt it will work. I did a lot of research on this with my Honda when i wanted a flip key and the general industry trend is to make it so only dealers and very well equipped and accredited locksmiths can program immobilizers.

I agree that we should be able to program a new key ourselves if we have an existing key. But with the latest generation of immobilizers it seems the manufacturers have a different way of thinking.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
phanguy

Garage
Quote:
I doubt it will work. I did a lot of research on this with my Honda when i wanted a flip key and the general industry trend is to make it so only dealers and very well equipped and accredited locksmiths can program immobilizers.

I agree that we should be able to program a new key ourselves if we have an existing key. But with the latest generation of immobilizers it seems the manufacturers have a different way of thinking.
What a PITA. That's why I just ordered

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380453593849...84.m1497.l2649

It may not be as pretty of a solution as a legit key, but it's going to take the guts of my current key. Getting cut shouldn't be an issue and since it'll have my old key guts then compatibility won't be an issue. It's a shame though because there really were a couple of nice looking ones!
Old 07-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
neutron256

Quote:
What a PITA. That's why I just ordered

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380453593849...84.m1497.l2649

It may not be as pretty of a solution as a legit key, but it's going to take the guts of my current key. Getting cut shouldn't be an issue and since it'll have my old key guts then compatibility won't be an issue. It's a shame though because there really were a couple of nice looking ones!
Be aware some of these flip keys that reuse the guts many of them can be flakey or not work at all depending on the positioning of the transponder antenna in the new housing. Some work just fine some not at all. It depends on the key and the car. I know on Hondas these only work if you do a little mod soldering a wire on to extended the antenna loop.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
sbxjap

Drives: '95 Honda Civic HB/'13 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
And each dealership charges a lil different... The dealerships in the automall I work at charge 15% over list to customers and the customers don't know. I'm at a body shop sp we get a discount, but it comes off of the price they charge everyone, so it comes out being the real list price....

We only use the local dealers for emergency parts.

Oddly, they were being cool and didn't charge over charge use for an Altima key fob for a keyless car... Only $155 for the little key to be cut and programmed.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to charge everyone else $280 for it.
sbxjap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #12
phanguy

Garage
Quote:
Be aware some of these flip keys that reuse the guts many of them can be flakey or not work at all depending on the positioning of the transponder antenna in the new housing. Some work just fine some not at all. It depends on the key and the car. I know on Hondas these only work if you do a little mod soldering a wire on to extended the antenna loop.
I mean even if it's not the greatest thing ever then I'm only out like 12 bucks. It's a worthwhile risk. I have realistic hopes.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #13
Subie
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 SSM DZE BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
The FCC ID of the transponder is HYQ14ACX. If the replacement key fob you're looking at has the same ID, AFAIK it should work.
Subie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Subie For This Useful Post:
sesmls (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #14
neutron256

Quote:
I mean even if it's not the greatest thing ever then I'm only out like 12 bucks. It's a worthwhile risk. I have realistic hopes.
At that price I totally agree.