follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-05-2015, 06:48 AM   #57
gzpermadi

Drives: Toyota 86 Silver
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shishand View Post
sti? & i wish they continued making the hatch
Nope, the new WRX.So far I haven't seen major complaints for FA20DIT.
This is the best car for the bucks.
In 2 years we will see if there is any major long term problems.
gzpermadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:18 AM   #58
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
lease is almost up, whats next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzpermadi View Post
Nope, the new WRX.So far I haven't seen major complaints for FA20DIT.
This is the best car for the bucks.
In 2 years we will see if there is any major long term problems.

My only complaint with the FA20DIT is the power delivery. They put all the area under the curve in the middle of the rev band and things taper off noticeably at the top end. It feels a lot like the MKV GTI engine where you aren't really encouraged to rev it out. I prefer the ej257 as far as power band goes. I don't care for the ring lands on the EJ, though.

Sent from Tandy 400
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:40 AM   #59
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Buddy, its an opinion.. i dont like the s2k, get over it. and i didnt ask whether a lease is worth it or not. you cant read english? i asked for car suggestions, not opinions on leasing or opinions of my opinion on s2k..
furthermore, leasing isnt a good financial option, sure, but it works for me currently.

================================================

I test drove the evo today, great car, classless dealerships, bad mpg which can make commutes a bit bad. but VERY fun car
my payments are about the same as the frs as well.

going to test drive the lexus next, rc350. m235 is out of the list, terrible rates. and something from subaru as well
Look, kid. Your opinion doesn't matter because your opinion isn't based on experience. It's obvious you've never driven an S2000 by your posts earlier in the thread about reluctantly "putting it on the list"... If you don't like the looks of it or are worried about your buddies in Mustangs making fun of you for driving a convertible or whatever, then say that lol but calling it a downgrade is just ignorant considering it's more reliable, more exclusive, has a better engine, better suspension design, and an overall higher quality of engineering. Drive one or not. I don't give a shit, but your "opinion" made me laugh.
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:42 AM   #60
Sideways&Smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoggy57 View Post
As already stated in another reply, the bank still owns the car whether you finance or lease until it's paid off.

My car is leased and modded along with plenty of other people so thats an invalid point.

My lease is up in June and I can buy the car if i want...but I also have the option to turn it in and get a brand new car. If i finance the remaining amount Ill end up paying a total of about $1500 more than if I would have financed from the beginning. Maybe it's just me, but that's more than worth it to have that option.

Not sure why youd come into a thread about leasing just to bust on leasing, but your ignorance isnt appreciated.
I didn't come into the thread to talk about leasing, but... The problem with leasing? This guy says he'll still have to pay $15-$16k to buy the FR-S (which is automatic lol)... I could go out tomorrow and find a used FR-S for almost the same exact amount of money he would have to pay to own the car he's already been paying for. It's literally throwing money away... and sure, you can mod a leased car, but if you don't plan on buying it, why would you? You don't get to keep it and you'll have to put it back to stock. Common sense, really...
Old 03-05-2015, 10:45 AM   #61
Sideways&Smiling

Quote:
meh let him be. he seems hard headed, maybe he cant afford it haha. If you have the extra money, why not. i save up plenty if money while i lease, im not living on a paycheck to paycheck either. Have you decided on what to do after the lease?
lol or maybe I'm just smart enough to realize that OWNING cars you plan to mod and have fun with is 100x smarter and a better financial decision than always leasing and always having to drive a new car. Clearly we have drastically different priorities....
Old 03-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #62
tdoggy57

Drives: Asphalt Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
I didn't come into the thread to talk about leasing, but... The problem with leasing? This guy says he'll still have to pay $15-$16k to buy the FR-S (which is automatic lol)... I could go out tomorrow and find a used FR-S for almost the same exact amount of money he would have to pay to own the car he's already been paying for. It's literally throwing money away... and sure, you can mod a leased car, but if you don't plan on buying it, why would you? You don't get to keep it and you'll have to put it back to stock. Common sense, really...

So youd both be paying the same money for whats essentially a used frs, except he knows exactly where its been. The extra money hes already paid was paid while being able to drive the car for the last three years. So hed end up paying slightly more than the sale price of the car in total. Its really not a good or bad deal or way to possess a car, its just for people with different circumstances.

If the person leasing doesnt want to keep the car then obviously theres a reason, whether its wanting to upgrade or needing more space/doors. So theyd probably end up switching cars whether they financed or leased.

I just think its irrational to talk down on leasing when its really all about personal preference and circumstances. But im guessing you would also think anybody with an auto frs made a dumb move so you dont seem to be extremely open minded lol.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:14 AM   #63
Ddreder

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 1990 Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
lol or maybe I'm just smart enough to realize that OWNING cars you plan to mod and have fun with is 100x smarter and a better financial decision than always leasing and always having to drive a new car. Clearly we have drastically different priorities....
+1 for actual car ownership.

Idk I could never enjoy a leased car because at the end of the day, your freedom has been stripped away from car ownership thus leaving you with apartment syndrome where you are just biding your time until you can afford a home of your own, that has no restrictions on anything you do. Mileage restrictions on a new car? I mean come on, what is a new car for? I own three cars and I still manage to put about 20K a year on my FR-S just commuting to work.. I think this just boils down to freedom. You pay more money for a lease to have less freedom but also less responsibility for the car. Which is kind of lame because it seems like everyone around my age is just that, irresponsible.. I am the only person i know around my age that doesnt have rich parents that actually managed to save up a big chunk of money to put down on my frs so that I could have affordable payments.

In the end I think it just comes down to different wealth classes. People who have had money there whole life dont understand poorer people and vice versa. Poor people do not understand how rich people can have total disregard for money. I struggle with this concept daily because it is very difficult to relate to people who were born with the silver spoon.

ANYWAYS /rant over

I still think the IS F sports look sooooo cool.. Auto or not you've got me looking at used ones.. lol I think the only thing that would kill me would be gas mileage. low mpg + premium gas = broke all the time..

Last edited by Ddreder; 03-05-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Ddreder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ddreder For This Useful Post:
FRSupra (03-05-2015), TheVoiceOfReason (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #64
Sideways&Smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddreder View Post
+1 for actual car ownership.

Idk I could never enjoy a leased car because at the end of the day, your freedom has been stripped away from car ownership thus leaving you with apartment syndrome where you are just biding your time until you can afford a home of your own, that has no restrictions on anything you do. Mileage restrictions on a new car? I mean come on, what is a new car for? I own three cars and I still manage to put about 20K a year on my FR-S just commuting to work.. I think this just boils down to freedom. You pay more money for a lease to have less freedom but also less responsibility for the car. Which is kind of lame because it seems like everyone around my age is just that, irresponsible.. I am the only person i know around my age that doesnt have rich parents that actually managed to save up a big chunk of money to put down my my frs so that I could have affordable payments.

In the end I think it just comes down to different wealth classes. People who have had money there whole life dont understand poorer people and vice versa. Poor people do not understand how rich people can have total disregard for money. I struggle with this concept daily because it is very difficult to relate to people who were born with the silver spoon.

ANYWAYS /rant over

I still think the IS F sports look sooooo cool.. Auto or not you've got me looking at used ones.. lol I think the only thing that would kill me would be gas mileage. low mpg + premium gas = broke all the time..
I'm a software developer and make good money now, but grew up very, very poor and make all financial decisions very carefully now. So, maybe you are onto something there... lol

It's not JUST about money though. For me, having fun with sports cars is all about the experience. It's not about having the newest, latest car. It's not about status. Not about luxury. Not a fashion statement. It's about having a good, fun driving experience. To me, cars like the FRS and S2000 (and plenty of others... RX7, MR2, etc etc) are so good in their own ways that they, as platforms, are good enough. I'd rather own them and build them into something truly special with mods than repeatedly lease new stock cars. *shrug*
Old 03-05-2015, 01:22 PM   #65
PhantomX
INTJ

Drives: 2017 86 860
Quote:
Look, kid. Your opinion doesn't matter because your opinion isn't based on experience. It's obvious you've never driven an S2000 by your posts earlier in the thread about reluctantly "putting it on the list"... If you don't like the looks of it or are worried about your buddies in Mustangs making fun of you for driving a convertible or whatever, then say that lol but calling it a downgrade is just ignorant considering it's more reliable, more exclusive, has a better engine, better suspension design, and an overall higher quality of engineering. Drive one or not. I don't give a shit, but your "opinion" made me laugh.
Explain to me why you're a non-86 owner in an 86 forum again?

His opinion does matter because he's the one choosing the car he'll be driving next. If he doesn't like the S2000, he doesn't like it. Get over it.

As for leasing, it can certainly be used to your advantage if you plan to keep the vehicle in the long run. One example is in that 3 year timespan, your payments are low, which means you have more money for goodies. If you plan to keep the vehicle in the long run, who cares if it has mods and you put more miles than the total 36,000-45,000 in those 3 years? It's not like they install a system that warns them that you're over your mileage limit for the lease and they'll never know when all you're doing is financing it after the lease is up. At least you know when you finance it after those 3 years, all those mods are already in place. On top of that, your credit score is even higher than before, so you just might have the same monthly payments because your interest rate is so low.

Also, if you happen to be really good friends with the sales manager and/or finance manager at the time of lease signing, they could fiddle with the numbers where your payments are ridiculously low. But that's only if you're good friends with them. Not you going in the dealership and forming a relationship then and there. But, of course, none of the these two paragraphs apply here.

On a side note: I personally liked the S2000. The engine is definitely built well. Reminds me of my K20-R. The owner was pretty freaked out how easily I could go from 0 to 120. I'm not a big fan of the exterior styling, but I don't think it's a bad car. I'd definitely choose the 86 over the S2000 in terms of styling. I will admit the 86 makes me smile when I drive it. With the S2000, not so much. But, as others have pointed out, it's all a matter of personal preference.
PhantomX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhantomX For This Useful Post:
shishand (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 01:42 PM   #66
Sideways&Smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomX View Post
Explain to me why you're a non-86 owner in an 86 forum again?

His opinion does matter because he's the one choosing the car he'll be driving next. If he doesn't like the S2000, he doesn't like it. Get over it.

As for leasing, it can certainly be used to your advantage if you plan to keep the vehicle in the long run. One example is in that 3 year timespan, your payments are low, which means you have more money for goodies. If you plan to keep the vehicle in the long run, who cares if it has mods and you put more miles than the total 36,000-45,000 in those 3 years? It's not like they install a system that warns them that you're over your mileage limit for the lease and they'll never know when all you're doing is financing it after the lease is up. At least you know when you finance it after those 3 years, all those mods are already in place. On top of that, your credit score is even higher than before, so you just might have the same monthly payments because your interest rate is so low.

Also, if you happen to be really good friends with the sales manager and/or finance manager at the time of lease signing, they could fiddle with the numbers where your payments are ridiculously low. But that's only if you're good friends with them. Not you going in the dealership and forming a relationship then and there. But, of course, none of the these two paragraphs apply here.

On a side note: I personally liked the S2000. The engine is definitely built well. Reminds me of my K20-R. The owner was pretty freaked out how easily I could go from 0 to 120. I'm not a big fan of the exterior styling, but I don't think it's a bad car. I'd definitely choose the 86 over the S2000 in terms of styling. I will admit the 86 makes me smile when I drive it. With the S2000, not so much. But, as others have pointed out, it's all a matter of personal preference.
Totally missing the point. In order to not like something, you should probably have experience with it lol It's like a child saying "I don't like broccoli!" without ever actually tasting broccoli. To call something a downgrade in comparison to another thing without having experience with/knowledge about both things is stupid. I even said if he doesn't like the styling/convertible aspect that that's different, but not liking those doesn't mean the car is a "downgrade" lol especially when it's obvious to anyone familiar with both cars that one is built much better than the other.

And I'm on this forum for the same reason everyone else is. I like the car and I like to keep up with news about it and people discussing it. I plan to get one in the future. That doesn't mean I like my current cars any less though.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #67
PhantomX
INTJ

Drives: 2017 86 860
Quote:
Totally missing the point. In order to not like something, you should probably have experience with it lol It's like a child saying "I don't like broccoli!" without ever actually tasting broccoli. To call something a downgrade in comparison to another thing without having experience with/knowledge about both things is stupid. I even said if he doesn't like the styling/convertible aspect that that's different, but not liking those doesn't mean the car is a "downgrade" lol especially when it's obvious to anyone familiar with both cars that one is built much better than the other.
I can understand where you're coming from, but instead of outright attacking him, why not ask him to clarify his definition of "downgrade"? What makes the S2000 a downgrade in his eyes?

Quote:
And I'm on this forum for the same reason everyone else is. I like the car and I like to keep up with news about it and people discussing it. I plan to get one in the future. That doesn't mean I like my current cars any less though.
Fair enough.
PhantomX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #68
Sideways&Smiling

Quote:
I can understand where you're coming from, but instead of outright attacking him, why not ask him to clarify his definition of "downgrade"? What makes the S2000 a downgrade in his eyes?
I wasn't attacking. Just responding to "Buddy, its an opinion.. i dont like the s2k, get over it. and i didnt ask whether a lease is worth it or not. you cant read english?"

For real though, to say they handle similarly and call the FRS "a better S2000" is silly, even if you actually have driven them both, which he obviously hasn't. One is a long wheelbase FR coupe with front-biased weight distribution and fairly standard macpherson strut front/multi-link rear suspension (like the S-chassis before it) and quick steering with good feel & stability. The other is a short wheelbase roadster with a front-mid engine placement with 50/50 weight distribution (that makes a huge difference in the way car feels to drive) with double wishbones all around and tight, quick handling but edgey/jittery and a bit muted steering feel which makes it challenging/exciting to drive fast. They both handle well and are both RWD, but have totally different characteristics.... oh, and one has a better sounding and more powerful engine stock. :P
Old 03-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #69
FRSupra

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
If he doesn't like the S2000, he doesn't like it.
He doesn't know he doesn't like it.
FRSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSupra For This Useful Post:
Sideways&Smiling (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 03:26 PM   #70
Ddreder

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 1990 Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSupra View Post
He doesn't know he doesn't like it.
This is actually an issue with some people.. My idiot coworker does this all the time. He cant understand why I like my miata so much. He has never driven one and says they cant be fun with such little power. He drives an Evo X and I think that is half the problem. He thinks any car with less horsepower than that is slow which really grinds my gears.. A car is only as slow as you drive it which for a person who has never even been to the track with his "sports car", his opinion of fast and slow cars is really null and void.. (also 4 door cars are not sports cars #sorrynotsorry)

Anyways moral of the story is LETS DROP IT! s2000 = good car BOOM problem solved.

We are done talking about it! OP doesnt want one, therefore OP will most likely not get one.

Lets talk about some lexus's..
Ddreder is offline   Reply With Quote