follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-30-2011, 06:08 AM   #1
Maxim

Drives: 2010 GTI 2dr Tornado Red
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Scion FR-S Cover Article in new Road and Track Magazine

Feel free to ignore this thread if this hadn't been posted, but I didn't see this article anywhere here so here it is.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-...n-fr-s-concept

Note: They're forecasting 3000lbs, 200hp, 150lb/ft, 0-60 for the manual at 7.5 seconds and 0-60 for the automatic at closer to 9 seconds.

I can say for a fact that if these statistics are correct, I will not buy this car.

Other notes of interest:

R&T interviewed Toyota at the reveal of the FR-S and was unable to get them to comment on why they partnered with Subaru or how much of the development was done by them, and so they concluded that most of the development was done by Subaru because Toyota figured they could do a better job at this price range. That would explain why Toyota keeps refusing to say how much work they actually put in on this car. (hmm that's also exactly what I've been saying....)
Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:15 AM   #2
ft86cbx

Drives: FT86 (Soon)
Ive not seen it posted before.

Im not really in to autos, but all the latest VAG ones (S-tronic) tend to be quicker to 60 than manual ones. Im surprised that this one would be so much slower???

Nice chop at the top though!
ft86cbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:18 AM   #3
Maxim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86cbx View Post
Ive not seen it posted before.

Im not really in to autos, but all the latest VAG ones (S-tronic) tend to be quicker to 60 than manual ones. Im surprised that this one would be so much slower???

Nice chop at the top though!
The auto will be of the slush-box variety, with a torque converter. It will also likely be a 5 speed, not a 6 speed. Thus, it will be considerably slower.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
At 3000 pounds and only 150 Lb/Ft of torque, there's little to be exited about. You might as well keep your GTI. It would take steering feel from God himself to overrule such a wimpy torque-to-weight ratio.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
Sabastian
will rain on your parade.

Drives: 2007 Mini Cooper, 1996 Mazda MX-5
The engine specs really don't surprise me since we have been seeing the 200hp/150lbft numbers for a while, the 7200rpm power peak also has me excited for a nice, high redline. The one number that I'm skeptical of is the 3000 lb weight estimate. Here's the quote from the article: "We expect the car to tip the scales around the 3000-lb. mark." That doesn't sound like it's based on much, whereas the estimates from Autocar are based on statements from the developers. Here's the link:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/256560/
Sabastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
PAImportTuner
Turbo Mafia Presidente

Drives: U Mad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
The auto will be of the slush-box variety, with a torque converter. It will also likely be a 5 speed, not a 6 speed. Thus, it will be considerably slower.
^That but for the price it better have at least 6spd AT, although IDC because I'd be getting the 6spd manual. The Elantra and Fiesta have 6spd.. Fiesta having the PowerShift dual clutch transmission, for a car under 18k that's insane.

Now if they used a 6spd dual clutch then I'd entertain that too. Having first hand driven a GTI , EvoX MR and Fiesta, I can tell you that you'll miss the traditional manual clutch but rarely. SSP upgraded clutch packs in the X MR makes the cars feel so much better than factory.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
Flip

Drives: 2001 Celica GT-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
They're basing their numbers off of nothing. I expect it to be as least multiple hundred pounds below 3000lb.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
According to Toyota, it will feature short throws, which will help the car hit 60 mph in roughly 7.5 seconds...
Toyota's marketing department must be on a serious misinformation mission to lower expectations so everyone gets all hyped up when the real numbers arrive. The referenced 3000-lb weight is ridiculous for such a small low-tech car in the first place, but even if the FR-S turns out to be such a lardass, 7.5 sec to 60 with 200hp? Maybe if it had a terribly late-rising torque curve and a 3 speed transmission it would be in the 7s. Any 0-60 calculator (eg http://www.0-60cartimes.com/calculator/, which was bang-on for my car) will give you a time of 6.5 seconds or less for that weight and power. I'm not looking for a drag racer but 7.5 seconds is just a few 10ths lower than my current $15K 140 hp Tib... there's just too much competition out there for Toyota to produce a sports car with such abysmal acceleration - even an SI would eat the thing for breakfast.

Last edited by Sport-Tech; 06-30-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:07 AM   #9
PAImportTuner
Turbo Mafia Presidente

Drives: U Mad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabastian View Post
The engine specs really don't surprise me since we have been seeing the 200hp/150lbft numbers for a while, the 7200rpm power peak also has me excited for a nice, high redline. The one number that I'm skeptical of is the 3000 lb weight estimate. Here's the quote from the article: "We expect the car to tip the scales around the 3000-lb. mark." That doesn't sound like it's based on much, whereas the estimates from Autocar are based on statements from the developers. Here's the link:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/256560/

R&T, I assume, is using real world logic with a side a speculation when stating that weight, I don't blame them. Almost every mass produced car fails on targeted weight around 100+lbs by the time it is released.

Look at the Volvo C30 that thing is small and actually similar size to the FT86 only that it's around 57" tall because of being a hatchback, it is a 3200lb mini-tank, thank god it has a sexy sounding torque filled 5cyl turbo in it. THAT car was offered at $24k and can be had for 17-20k today for 2008+ models.

The car is stock.. except for being lowered, wheels, yellow fogs and silver mirrors
Old 06-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #10
Sabastian
will rain on your parade.

Drives: 2007 Mini Cooper, 1996 Mazda MX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAImportTuner View Post
Look at the Volvo C30 that thing is small and actually similar size to the FT86 only that it's around 57" tall because of being a hatchback, it is a 3200lb mini-tank, thank god it has a sexy sounding torque filled 5cyl turbo in it. THAT car was offered at $24k and can be had for 17-20k today for 2008+ models.

The car is stock.. except for being lowered, wheels, yellow fogs and silver mirrors
When archeologists dig up this thread 2000 years from now, they'll say this was where we officially went off topic.
Sabastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #11
Maxim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
At 3000 pounds and only 150 Lb/Ft of torque, there's little to be exited about. You might as well keep your GTI. It would take steering feel from God himself to overrule such a wimpy torque-to-weight ratio.
Hoping to God these numbers are ALL messed up.

I really do want to like this car...
Old 06-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
iff2mastamatt
Feeling Iffy?

Drives: it like I stole it
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabastian View Post
When archeologists dig up this thread 2000 years from now, they'll say this was where we officially went off topic.
iff2mastamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #13
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Those are ugly numbers. :l If that's the case. Scion will fail. Haha.

But aside from that... gives you a chose of whether or not to wait for the upcoming re-makes or new cars in the following years.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:55 AM   #14
iff2mastamatt
Feeling Iffy?

Drives: it like I stole it
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
Those are ugly numbers. :l If that's the case. Scion will fail. Haha.

But aside from that... gives you a chose of whether or not to wait for the upcoming re-makes or new cars in the following years.
0-60 in the high 8's for the auto has to keep the insurance down, and would let the enthusiasts get the manual version for the faster car. If this were the case, I'd get the manual. Over 1 sec difference is too much for the 0-60.
iff2mastamatt is offline   Reply With Quote