follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #99
Sabastian
will rain on your parade.

Drives: 2007 Mini Cooper, 1996 Mazda MX-5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t88 View Post
So can you or can you not force induce the engine? Because as soon as I get that car I will turbocharge it, also this type R version... Does Subaru have it? Or is it only for the Toyota version? Also isn't 25,000 British pound is a tad too much for what this car has to offer? It seems like to me that this is a FR Scion with a Subaru engine in it. Throw in some brakes, LSD, a close gear ratio gearbox and slap the Toyota/Scion/Subaru name on it. Since 25,000 GBP is almost equal to $40,342 USD, that's like a high end 370z model! This is just my view and my opinion/speculation.

Nevertheless I am waiting to see the real thing as well as some in depth specs. I still have high hope from the Subaru version and if all goes well, I will buy it.
You can't simply translate the price from pounds to dollars and expect that to be the selling price in the states. Cars cost a lot more in the UK than they do in the US. For instance, a VW GTI in the UK is also right around 25k GPB, but in the states it starts around 24k USD.

I'm expecting Edmunds.com's estimate of ~$24,500 to be close to what we'll see.
Sabastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #100
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinDuMa View Post
Do really see a version of this car in the U.S. with a roll cage? It just doesn't fit with Scion, though I'm not saying it's totally not possible just not likely. Besides that, is there proof that an "R" version exist besides this article?
He also said that an R version of the FT-86 was coming with less weight, Brembo brakes (our test car’s stoppers were from Hitachi), a rollcage, a larger rear wing, no rear seats and, yes, a mechanical LSD but no more power.

Neither is this car but ironically it's going to be a Scion.

We won't know if it'll be available in the US but you guys (no you specifically) claiming all this nonsense w/out any official proof are just blowing smoke.

The Gazoo car reminds me of the R version and there was a thread regarding the Brembos so the proof might already be out there.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ghlight=brembo
Old 10-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #101
KevinDuMa

Drives: 2004 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
He also said that an R version of the FT-86 was coming with less weight, Brembo brakes (our test car’s stoppers were from Hitachi), a rollcage, a larger rear wing, no rear seats and, yes, a mechanical LSD but no more power.

We won't know if it'll be available in the US but you guys (no you specifically) claiming all this nonsense w/out any official proof are just blowing smoke.

The Gazoo car reminds me of the R version and there was a thread regarding the Brembos so the proof might already be out there.

I get what you're saying, I'm just damn ready for some real specs. Just one more month for some solid information.
KevinDuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #102
mike2100

Drives: 23 BRZ
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post

lol, another bubble about to burst
mike2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #103
jadamian75

Drives: 07 4-Runner, 02 Eclipse, 92 240sx
I like what I'm reading. "Other options are also on the cards: a convertible is ‘possible’"
I drove a 370z roadster and a 370z nismo back to back on back canyon roads and I enjoyed the convertible much more even though the hard top is more capable at the limits.
I would love to see this in a convertible maybe 6 months to a year after the initial ones go on sale. I would also like to see an option for more power from the factory. It's disappointing that the designer is not considering a turbo for future models.
Joe
jadamian75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #104
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal View Post
regards the "r" version - rollcage is do-able, at least in europe anyway...

the renault megane r26r, had back seats removed, roll cage, light buckets, and plastic windows - fastest FWD production car around the ring i beleive
The gt3rs is sold in the US with a roll cage like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solrac View Post
Any thoughts on the lack of boxer burble sound? I'm really hoping the brz has the trade mark boxer sound. This would be a great way to differentiate the two models
I doubt the exhaust will be different between Subaru and Scion but one of the articles (maybe the Moto post) mentioned the US spec exhaust will be louder because Japan has tight noise restrictions. It will still have a nice sound even with EL headers, it will just be smooth instead of burbling.

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #105
jadamian75

Drives: 07 4-Runner, 02 Eclipse, 92 240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quandry View Post
Give it to Clarkson and co at TopGear and lets see if it's really worth it's salt!
I like this idea!
jadamian75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #106
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Drives: 92TalonAWD, 93RX7, 11F150EcoBoost
Send a message via AIM to 82mm 4g63
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinDuMa View Post
I get what you're saying, I'm just damn ready for some real specs. Just one more month for some solid information.

What NEW worthwhile facts do we get from this?

Eight size 11 footsteps between front and rear hubs.
53f/47r weight distribution.
160g/km co2 exhaust.
Mitsubishi springs.
Standard "keyless go".
Around 1200kg.
Suede seat centers.
60mph in 6th @ 2500rpm.
R version with less weight, Brembo's, rollcage, larger wing, no rear seats, mechanical LSD, no more power.

Not that it's a huge deal, but I'm surprised with that weight distribution to be honest. How heavy is the damn engine?

2640lbs isn't bad. Hoping "around" means "less than."

Not a fan of push to start ignitions. Suede seats would be nice.

Pass on the R version. I'm sure there will be a significant mark up for it. Look at the GenCoupe and the GenCoupe R-Spec's. $2250 markup over base and they're not throwing in a roll cage or removing back seats. Besides, I'd be more satisfied picking and choosing the parts that go in my car. Sure it'll cost more, but it will also be using superior parts.
82mm 4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #107
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
lol@ the people confused about CO2/km.
Where does CO2 come from in your car? What is the only thing with carbon that your engine burns? hint hint you get it at something called a gas station, and it usually is about the same in terms of formulation.

g CO2/km is precisely a fuel economy measurement. They call it emissions, but that's actually kinda stupid because the most harmful part of the emissions is not the CO2 but nitrous oxides, various hydrocarbons, etc. and that's what we usually refer to over here when we think emissions. People care more about CO2 now because it is obviously the largest portion of what is emitted when we burn fuel.

Okay I don't know what calculator people are using, but the Lotus Elise with 1ZR-FAE engine in the UK is rated 149g/km, 45 miles per imperial gallon. 160g/km would be about 42.2 miles per imperial gallon. An imperial gallon is 6/5 US gallons, so this is a bit over 35mpg in US speak, on the EU test cycle of course, which tends to give higher numbers. (imma bold, excuse me :P)

So I guess those photos with the tach reading 1800 at 75mph are bs? btw it's definitely possible to lower revs more, for people saying a 4 cylinder engine can't pull at 1500 rpm.

Oh and, bullshit torque number, as usual. You can't "feel" torque.

Last edited by serialk11r; 10-29-2011 at 01:43 AM.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #108
Buggy51

Drives: Put Put
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
It's pretty great as far as regular auto boxes go. Dare I say even the best automatic outside of a DSG/Sequential box?
Haha, that sounds interesting haha.
Buggy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:38 AM   #109
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaJDM View Post
Then why is Toyota debuting a Yaris race car at Sema next week?

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...club+racer.htm

I'm talking about a Type R, not a race car. You were, too. Remember?
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:09 AM   #110
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
LFA has a Nurburgring Edition available to the US. The IS-F and soon GS-F edition will be available to the US. Who's responsible for this? Same guy who's been driving the FT-86 as his pet project. Should we expect him to deliver something beyond the base model? This is speculation but it's not hard to connect some dots.

I don't want buyers remorse months after this car comes out. Gonna wait the extra months (or year) so I can compare all options. Or at least wait for the official announcement of a premium trim. More time to save more pennies.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #111
ryridesmotox

Drives: 2010 Chevy Cobalt SS, 59 Ford F100
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Oh and, bullshit torque number, as usual. You can't "feel" torque.
Um not sure what kind of car you drive, also I'm not trying to start a forum war buuuut..... you most definitely feel torque. Take diesel engines for example... or my car. I can hit 400lbs of torque depending on which tune I am running. You can mist definitely feel that... trust me.
Treadstone Performance Stage 3 kit: CAI, Charge Pipes, TR8 intercooler, Maf Relocate, 52MM Turbosmart BOV, 3 inch catless downpipe, 3 inch catback, borla XR1 muffler, Exedy Hypersingle, TWM short throw shifter, 24PSI HPtuned by Terminator2 on E85/91
ryridesmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #112
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryridesmotox View Post
Um not sure what kind of car you drive, also I'm not trying to start a forum war buuuut..... you most definitely feel torque. Take diesel engines for example... or my car. I can hit 400lbs of torque depending on which tune I am running. You can mist definitely feel that... trust me.
Yup torques are what push you in the back of your seat. You can definitely feel them.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz review, fr-s review, fr-s reviews, ft-86 reviews, scion fr-s review, scion fr-s reviews, subaru brz review, subaru brz reviews, toyota ft-86 review, toyota ft-86 reviews, toyota ft86 review