follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2018, 04:03 PM   #1
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
quietest aftermarket exhaust?

Howdy All,

I'm curious what the quietest aftermarket exhaust is for this car? Obviously, I'm aware most people want a louder exhaust which is true for all the aftermarket exhausts I've heard so far. My plan of the moment is to get an ACE A-350 header and a hi-flow catted front pipe at some point, so I'm trying to figure out how to get the noise under control as I understand the ACE headers are quite loud.

Specifically, my living situation is that my housemate and I are on opposite schedules and I don't want to wake them up every single time I start my car. Additionally, some competitive events have a loudness limit on the exhaust. If I could find one that's quieter than stock that'd be even better, but I understand it's difficult to be quiet while also reducing airflow restrictions, so I'm just hoping to find something that's not stupidly loud.

Right now the quietest I've found in my research is the CSG Spec Touring86 and the Dezod Motorsports 2.5" Catback. Any other contenders I should consider?
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:20 PM   #2
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
I think you can add the Q300, Perrin 2.5" resonated, and Thermal to that list. Dezod is notably louder as far as I know. Perrin is the lightest by a few lbs. Q300 is heavier than stock. CSG and Thermal are close to the same weight (my scales only measure to the nearest lb and Thermal came in at 37, 36 if I removed the bolts and such) - the CSG may do the best at managing airflow of the bunch.

I'd also recommend sticking with the stock front-pipe - not going to get 100% maximum gains, but still really solid improvement. In fact, you could probably just run the whole stock header-back... if quiet is your goal.

I'm currently running the stock front-pipe + Thermal - it makes some noise when you get on it, but nothing close to the system I had on the old car (Nameless header, JDL 3" ultra-quiet over/frontpipe, 3" JDL D2 resonated) - especially at highway cruising rpm. I'll be updating to a 3" catted/resonated front-pipe shortly (hopefully this week) now that I fixed it so it fits the bolts... (yay for custom made pieces that have to be modified to work/fit properly...) - will be curious how much louder it gets.

C
Tristor (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 04:26 PM   #3
Tristor

Garage
Thanks for the info @cjd.

To clarify, I'm not really concerned with how loud it is higher in the rev range as long as it's within competition limits (max of 92db). But I am concerned with how it sounds during "cold start", which can definitely vibrate windows/wake up housemates/cause dogs to bark even with the stock exhaust thanks to resonant frequencies as well as volume.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:27 PM   #4
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Blitz VS/VSR are quite quiet (O_o) with catless headers. Quietest exhaust will be Ace Laguna 90, but it has a center exit in place of foglight.
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gpvecchi For This Useful Post:
Tristor (07-30-2018), Yoniyama (07-31-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 04:33 PM   #5
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Option B, get the high rev cold start tuned out so it's not as obnoxious on start up.

The CSG/ACE laguna seca spec is probably the quiestest/best option otherwise. IIRC it's quieter than stock, but flows way better.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (07-30-2018), humfrz (07-30-2018), jflogerzi (07-30-2018), Tristor (07-30-2018), Ultramaroon (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 04:39 PM   #6
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I have stock catback, catless front pipe and catless UEL headers with the cold start tuned out. The car is still very quiet, but at lower RPM WOT the car sounds like absolute garbage. If I could do it again, I would have bought the Perrin Q300.

Don't rule out having a muffler shop fab something simple for you either. Tuning out the cold tune is the best way to reduce noise on this platform, no joke.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Tristor (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 05:55 PM   #7
Tristor

Garage
Tuning out the cold start isn't something I'd considered before, but that's a good option since whenever I do this I'll obviously be getting a tune as well. I'm planning to purchase the ACE headers through CSG and get the Delicious Tuning EcuTek tune with it. Does anyone know if DT will tune out the cold start for you as part of their ACE header tune? Not much point in a cold start to heat up cats that aren't there
The Following User Says Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
wparsons (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 06:42 PM   #8
cjd

Garage
DT will tune it out. I'm very happy with the start noise levels I have, wife says she can't tell when I drive off (or arrived home) any more, used to be able to with the old car/setup.

92dB is pretty low, very few systems will hit that. If you don't run the cats it'll be harder - possibly only the Ace 90dB setup.
Tristor (07-30-2018), wparsons (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 07:50 PM   #9
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
Tuning out the cold start isn't something I'd considered before, but that's a good option since whenever I do this I'll obviously be getting a tune as well. I'm planning to purchase the ACE headers through CSG and get the Delicious Tuning EcuTek tune with it. Does anyone know if DT will tune out the cold start for you as part of their ACE header tune? Not much point in a cold start to heat up cats that aren't there

Of course if you request it specifically they will, I did it on romraider with my OFT. For ecutek they'll simply edit some tables to remove the valve overlap on cold starts.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:55 PM   #10
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Garage
I have HKS Hi-Power Spec-L
- Lighter than all quiet options listed here (22 lbs). About 20lbs lighter than stock
- Has the Helmholtz chamber like Thermal, plus resonator unlike Thermal
- Two options: Titanium and Carbon tip
- But it has dual canister design unlike the stock
- Louder than most options here (carbon fiber tip is a little heavier but quieter) but not enough to wake up neighbors. I have Ti tip and it is 93 db which below the legal sound limit in CA and NY.
See the link below
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/hks-...eight-667.html

Last edited by mrg666; 07-30-2018 at 08:09 PM.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:34 PM   #11
cjd

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post

it is 93 db which below the legal sound limit in CA and NY.

Critical point: what is the rest of the system where it is 93dB - I have never yet seen a dual canister design that's quite that quiet with a full system; it wouldn't surprise me if it's that quiet with the stock header/frontpipe though. It might well stay under 100dB. I believe even the Perrin resonated was 95dB, and it's consistently noted as one of the quietest. Of course, exactly how you measure sound level also matters, so actual numbers can be pretty tough to discuss.

I've seen some very quiet custom built setups though. If you're after weight, that's the way to go.
wparsons (07-31-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 08:40 PM   #12
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Critical point: what is the rest of the system where it is 93dB - I have never yet seen a dual canister design that's quite that quiet with a full system; it wouldn't surprise me if it's that quiet with the stock header/frontpipe though. It might well stay under 100dB. I believe even the Perrin resonated was 95dB, and it's consistently noted as one of the quietest. Of course, exactly how you measure sound level also matters, so actual numbers can be pretty tough to discuss.

I've seen some very quiet custom built setups though. If you're after weight, that's the way to go.
Stock header, stock front pipe, with JRSC. See the video on the link. My exhaust sounds the same.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
cjd (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 09:46 PM   #13
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Since you are going Ace headers I have used two setups that are both quiet.

Invidia catted FP, HKS Legamax Premium catback. Very civil with this setup sounds more high pitched exotic WOT

Just switched to Hooker Blackheart Catted resonated FP, Borla Catback . Went with this for larger 2.5" piping. The volume is not any louder at all, gives back a little more rumble & bass with the muffler close to the middle. 10lbs lighter than previous exhaust with more flow.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:29 PM   #14
Tristor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
- Lighter than all quiet options listed here (22 lbs). About 20lbs lighter than stock
- Has the Helmholtz chamber like Thermal, plus resonator unlike Thermal
- Two options: Titanium and Carbon tip
- But it has dual canister design unlike the stock
- Louder than most options here (carbon fiber tip is a little heavier but quieter) but not enough to wake up neighbors. I have Ti tip and it is 93 db which below the legal sound limit in CA and NY.
See the link below
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/hks-...eight-667.html

In the last part of the video it sounds a bit raspy at WOT, but I find that videos are hard to judge the sound by. Is there any rasp to it? Otherwise I kind of like that, although I think it is likely quite a bit louder than I might want. Personally I like a nice loud exhaust... but unfortunately I also have to respect others in my living situation.