follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #71
Lighting Red
Habitual Line Crosser.

Drives: ^ Two of my favorite things.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for the reviews, all.

FYI: when I first drove the pre-production model I noticed the "clunk" when selecting gears as well. I did not report on it initially as I was not sure if it was an idiosyncrasy with that particular car. Turns out that isn't the case. In a way, I am glad that other people are reporting on it. The clunk is either normal (no worries), or enough people will report on it that we have a case for a corrective action from Subaru (recall/warranty) in the event that the clunk is not good.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #72
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
^At this point I'd guess it's a feature. In my other car with 6spd (Subaru's own though) I was always able to hear some metallic noises if I rowed through the gears while parked with windows down. With this car being fairly light on sound deadening there will a be quite a few noises people don't normally hear. I'm fine with that.

Last edited by dsgerbc; 05-23-2012 at 10:22 PM.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #73
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgerbc View Post
Picked mine up today.

On a test-drive I basically wanted to evaluate if I fit comfortably and how livable the suspension is around (crappy Michigan) town roads, so I have no comments on how it corners etc. I'll do it after it's broken in, tires have scrubbed off their slick outer layer, etc.
Suspension is firm, but not bone/kidney-jarringly so. I feel the bumps but it didn't make me want to go and buy a Buick. And I fit just fine.

My wife didn't complain about the bumps to much, but lack of height adjustment in the passenger seat did seem to bother her a bit.

I'm actually really struggling with comments: everything felt just fine and at home.
So some random things, mostly recalling what other people have talked about:
Didn't rev it past 4k yet, shifter is really light. There's a faint metal clunk when you shift gears (reportedly a lot less faint if you listen from the outside), but you don't hear it when speeds get up beyond cruising-the-parking lot.
Brakes are awesome. Haven't mastered the heel-toe yet, my other car is kinda awkward in this department so it will take some time to adjust.

The car goes get warm on the underside, you can definitely feel it when you exit the car. Parallel to what's being discussed in the FRS secion - I will probably have to run the A/C most of the time, since the alcantara lacks perforation behind my back (and side bolsters are also pretty snug) and if it gets warm inside I'll probably quickly start sweating.

Ground clearance at the front bumper is pretty low, so I'll have to stay away from all curbs.

Some interior plastics are kinda cheap/rubbery. Mousefur in the headliner is about the same as in the current STi.

So now I'll have to wait a couple of hundred miles before I comment further. Might hit some local half-assed twisties in the next few days and will go around (or at least along the western border of and up to UP) Michigan once it's broken-in.
Congrats! It really is a nice looking car.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #74
NWIguy

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Just got back from the dealership and picked up my car! It was an hour and a half ride home. I told my friend to go convoy with me at 50 mph on the highway! I probably did 55mph though. Car review soon. )
NWIguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #75
kayen

Drives: 2002 WRX w/ STi Spec C Swap
Send a message via AIM to kayen
Quote:
Picked mine up today.

On a test-drive I basically wanted to evaluate if I fit comfortably and how livable the suspension is around (crappy Michigan) town roads, so I have no comments on how it corners etc. I'll do it after it's broken in, tires have scrubbed off their slick outer layer, etc.
Suspension is firm, but not bone/kidney-jarringly so. I feel the bumps but it didn't make me want to go and buy a Buick. And I fit just fine.

My wife didn't complain about the bumps to much, but lack of height adjustment in the passenger seat did seem to bother her a bit.

I'm actually really struggling with comments: everything felt just fine and at home.
So some random things, mostly recalling what other people have talked about:
Didn't rev it past 4k yet, shifter is really light. There's a faint metal clunk when you shift gears (reportedly a lot less faint if you listen from the outside), but you don't hear it when speeds get up beyond cruising-the-parking lot.
Brakes are awesome. Haven't mastered the heel-toe yet, my other car is kinda awkward in this department so it will take some time to adjust.

The car goes get warm on the underside, you can definitely feel it when you exit the car. Parallel to what's being discussed in the FRS secion - I will probably have to run the A/C most of the time, since the alcantara lacks perforation behind my back (and side bolsters are also pretty snug) and if it gets warm inside I'll probably quickly start sweating.

Ground clearance at the front bumper is pretty low, so I'll have to stay away from all curbs.

Some interior plastics are kinda cheap/rubbery. Mousefur in the headliner is about the same as in the current STi.

So now I'll have to wait a couple of hundred miles before I comment further. Might hit some local half-assed twisties in the next few days and will go around (or at least along the western border of and up to UP) Michigan once it's broken-in.
Where in Michigan do you live? Also what dealer did you pick it up at?
kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #76
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Congrats on the pickup!

I don't know how close you are to South Bend, but these guys are still looking for a BRZ to take pics for their interactive wheel guide (if you're interested):

Tire Rack (Looking for BRZ to take measurements/photos for interactive wheel guide)
South Bend, IN
http://www.tirerack.com/about/contact.jsp
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #77
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayen View Post
Where in Michigan do you live? Also what dealer did you pick it up at?
AA
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #78
BRZ4me

Drives: A4, Isuzu Vehicross
My ETA has just been updated to tomorrow (5/25) from 5/29.

BRZ4me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZ4me For This Useful Post:
eikond (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #79
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ4me View Post

Congrats!!

I'm surprised they updated the system.. Seems like all the cars were just left at 5/29.. but they have been just showing up at the dealerships with little warning.

I'm hoping my car will be updated and arriving today or tomorrow.. maybe even Sat. I'd love to have a long 3 day weekend to enjoy it.
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #80
NWIguy

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Congrats on the pickup!

I don't know how close you are to South Bend, but these guys are still looking for a BRZ to take pics for their interactive wheel guide (if you're interested):

Tire Rack (Looking for BRZ to take measurements/photos for interactive wheel guide)
South Bend, IN
http://www.tirerack.com/about/contact.jsp
South Bend is probably like a 2-3 hour drive for me. I would love to show them the car and do their measurements but it's just too far away.

Thanks for the info though
NWIguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NWIguy For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #81
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
No worries, I was hoping it was much closer for you...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #82
BRZ4me

Drives: A4, Isuzu Vehicross
Quote:
Originally Posted by eikond View Post

Congrats!!

I'm surprised they updated the system.. Seems like all the cars were just left at 5/29.. but they have been just showing up at the dealerships with little warning.

I'm hoping my car will be updated and arriving today or tomorrow.. maybe even Sat. I'd love to have a long 3 day weekend to enjoy it.
Dealer just called to tell me it's arrived!!! Already PDI'd & ready to come home.

BRZ4me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRZ4me For This Useful Post:
Jayde (05-24-2012), NWIguy (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #83
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Dealer just called to tell me it's arrived!!! Already PDI'd & ready to come home.
Congrats!!!!! Post some pics when you get it. Can't wait to see it!

*waits by the phone as if a call from my dealer will happen soon*
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #84
kayen

Drives: 2002 WRX w/ STi Spec C Swap
Send a message via AIM to kayen
Quote:
AA
Ok, so is that at Dunning Subaru or do you have more than one Dealer there?

Quote:
Congrats and I saw the later post where your car is ready to be picked up.

Perhaps someday I will see you both around Michigan, but we are all decently apart from each other.
kayen is offline   Reply With Quote