follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #47895
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese

Drives: 15 BRZ
Thanked 7,013 Times in 2,337 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
IM from my boss, some info redacted: I have a meeting with *vendor* today to talk about a replacement for *security product*, that they don't have. I'll be out of the office from 11-2.

Me: lol
Old 09-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #47896
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
85% (I made that statistic up) of all aircraft accidents are pilot error. The majority of them are fatal. The errors due to mechanical the pilot just lands the aircraft the large majority of the time. Pilot unemployment right now is like 2%... I'm interested to see how that going to effect the commercial statistics.
I think you are close on the pilot error stat (seems like its more around 75% as I recall). Sometimes Pilot Error is used as a scapegoat though.

Most accidents are not fatal though. From the report I quoted above:
Attached Images

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 10:36 AM   #47897
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I think you are close on the pilot error stat (seems like its more around 75% as I recall). Sometimes Pilot Error is used as a scapegoat though.

I meant most pilot error accidents usually are, mechanicals are usually not.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #47898
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
So a hippie cult of good-looking men with terrible fashion sense jumps out of plane?

How many clicks do you think I could get out of that headline?
SNOWFLAKES FALL FROM SKY
CLICK TO SEE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT

Sarlacc (09-05-2018), Spuds (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 10:51 AM   #47899
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

I presume these include such things as skidding off a runway at low speed, non severe bird strikes, hitting objects while taxing, or other such non flight related occurrences? Pretty much everything must be reported I assume.
That would really skew the stats when comparing against cars where such minor (relative to the possibilities) incidents are not recorded.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:59 AM   #47900
p1l0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I presume these include such things as skidding off a runway at low speed, non severe bird strikes, hitting objects while taxing, or other such non flight related occurrences? Pretty much everything must be reported I assume.
That would really skew the stats when comparing against cars where such minor (relative to the possibilities) incidents are not recorded.
We also have separate definitions for 'incidents' and 'accidents.' Accidents being the more serious. Many of the things you described would be under incidents. Although I don't know if these stats are using the term accident interchangeably with incident...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-05-2018), Tcoat (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 11:37 AM   #47901
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese

Drives: 15 BRZ
Thanked 7,013 Times in 2,337 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
We also have separate definitions for 'incidents' and 'accidents.' Accidents being the more serious. Many of the things you described would be under incidents. Although I don't know if these stats are using the term accident interchangeably with incident...

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
The Following User Says Thank You to ScoobsMcGee For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #47902
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
My understanding is this covers accidents, which qualify as the more serious type as @p1l0t points out, and usually involve some aspect of flight.

In the end, its a risky endeavor, but like any the risk can be managed and those involved in it understand and accept the risk.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 12:15 PM   #47903
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
I meant most pilot error accidents usually are, mechanicals are usually not.
And that's where it gets sticky. A fatal crash resulting from a pilot attempting to make an engine out landing could be classified as a "pilot error" if the pilot makes a decision that takes a survivable accident and turns it into a fatal accident, even though the pilot would not have made the error had the engine not failed.

The pilot error is not the root cause of the accident, but it is the root cause of the fatality.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (09-05-2018), Tcoat (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 12:37 PM   #47904
p1l0t

Quote:
My understanding is this covers accidents, which qualify as the more serious type as @p1l0t points out, and usually involve some aspect of flight.

In the end, its a risky endeavor, but like any the risk can be managed and those involved in it understand and accept the risk.
Quote:
And that's where it gets sticky. A fatal crash resulting from a pilot attempting to make an engine out landing could be classified as a "pilot error" if the pilot makes a decision that takes a survivable accident and turns it into a fatal accident, even though the pilot would not have made the error had the engine not failed.

The pilot error is not the root cause of the accident, but it is the root cause of the fatality.
Well yeah it's ALWAYS the pilot's fault. To the point sometimes it seems that unless you have concrete science to blame an engineer or something the pilot should never have got out of bed in the morning. It's like when there is a weather related accident and they say well the pilot never should have departed to begin with. And there is some truth to that, actually most our decision planning (including contingency plans for our contingency plans) are made before we even launch. That being said if I decided not to fly everytime there was a thunderstorm in the forecast I would have flown all of about 3 days this summer. And summer is the high season when we make all the money.

You might like this article:
http://philip.greenspun.com/flying/safety

The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 02:03 PM   #47905
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,434 Times in 6,149 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:

But if pilot error isn't the root cause, they have to find a living person to blame, and that gets messy.

Sorry, my cynic is showing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-05-2018), p1l0t (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 03:55 PM   #47906
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,434 Times in 6,149 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Well yeah it's ALWAYS the pilot's fault. To the point sometimes it seems that unless you have concrete science to blame an engineer or something the pilot should never have got out of bed in the morning. It's like when there is a weather related accident and they say well the pilot never should have departed to begin with. And there is some truth to that, actually most our decision planning (including contingency plans for our contingency plans) are made before we even launch. That being said if I decided not to fly everytime there was a thunderstorm in the forecast I would have flown all of about 3 days this summer. And summer is the high season when we make all the money.

You might like this article:
http://philip.greenspun.com/flying/safety

He's a pilot and his name is Greenspun... At least it's not Flatspun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #47907
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
@humfrz Going back to the epipen.

Storage for 3 years in most likely under controlled storage, not in a 120 degree car.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-05-2018), Tcoat (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 05:42 PM   #47908
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Sitting at the dealer now while they swap in the replacement steering wheel.

The manager checked my rust spot and blamed it on a windshield swap, and he felt strongly I had it swapped due to the windshield manufacturer text (on bottom of driver side) not saying "Subaru". According to him a rust issue or chip like that is usually from someone doing the windshield swap. First he asked if I bought the car new, and then where I bought it, so I said "I bought it here and it's the same glass the car had when I picked it up". So he then asked the tech advisor if BRZs' windshields say Subaru, but the advisor didn't know. So I think he was going to look into it.

Decided to look at a bunch of cars on the lot: all BRZs' windshields say the same thing as mine and don't have Subaru printed; all non-BRZs that I checked (Crosstrek, Impreza, etc.) do say Subaru. I asked someone I know with an 860 what his said, and it's the same as the BRZs. So I'm guessing the FT86 platform is supplied with a different manufacturer's glass.

Now I have pics/proof so if there's an issue with him verifying later when I pick up the car then I'll be able to show what I found.

Hoping there won't be a problem though. The service center here has otherwise been good to me as you guys know. Maybe he just doesn't want to pay for the repair work (but then again isn't that covered under SoA warranty, so the dealer itself wouldn't be paying?).
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
Closed Thread

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis