follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-30-2014, 10:30 PM   #29
qijian

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
this just makes me wanna demand a new tranny even though i don't have the problem... or maybe not just "yet"
qijian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:54 PM   #30
nyfries

Drives: 14 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
No
DEMAND a new transmission. The car is under warranty and I had the same problem with 5th gear. Oil is not going to do it.

I had mine replaced and I think they upgraded it somewhere along the line because the new one has no issues at all.

My original trans clunked into 1st gear always (they say that's normal) it isn't.

So go to the dealer and DEMAND a new transmission.

so the new trans doesn't clunk under any circumstance? i think i need a new tranny than, mine clunk in 1st 99% of the time too

funny.. when i bought it in to the dealership for first service it didn't clunk…
nyfries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:28 AM   #31
jbailey8748

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStanley View Post
They also told me that it's very rare for them to replace an entire transmission and that they will most likely replace a part or just the synchros.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
as far as i know they have no transmission serviceability, it just gets replaced.
jbailey8748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #32
iStanley
They call me Stan

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
UPDATE: the dealership said they are putting a new transmission into my car and should be out to drive in 1-2 days!

iStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iStanley For This Useful Post:
DeeezNuuuts83 (05-08-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 09:59 PM   #33
satinwhitebrz14

Drives: 2014 satin white pearl brz premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ive got 2600 miles on my brz. Just noticed today it grinds into 4th @6000rpm or higher. I tested it on my way home from work and grinded everytime. Took it up to 5k and shifted normal...shit
satinwhitebrz14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:02 PM   #34
iStanley
They call me Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by satinwhitebrz14 View Post
Ive got 2600 miles on my brz. Just noticed today it grinds into 4th @6000rpm or higher. I tested it on my way home from work and grinded everytime. Took it up to 5k and shifted normal...shit
I just got mine replaced. I'm guessing you have warranty so the service manager will probably talk you out of it if he is an asshole like mine was. Just go up and demand it. Reproduce for them and let them try. They will change your fluids and check it out. They will find that it's doing nothing and will give you a new tranny instead of replacing parts in it most likely.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:47 AM   #35
iStanley
They call me Stan

Update. They gave me a new transmission and there is no grind now but it is still clunky when shifting?

Old 05-15-2014, 10:49 PM   #36
nyfries

Think the clunking is normal with our cars
Old 05-15-2014, 10:50 PM   #37
iStanley
They call me Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfries View Post
Think the clunking is normal with our cars
Can anyone else confirm this?

Old 05-15-2014, 11:00 PM   #38
nyfries

Lots of complaint of clunking at least from what i can tell in the forum. Mine clunks too. some say changing the oil help some say it doesn't. i would like to know if this is normal too. I feel like it shouldn't happen on a new car.

my first gear clunk 90% of the time. 2-3 clunks 30% of the time.

sometimes the shift is buttery smooth, sometimes it clunks like its broken… the most frustrating part it when i took it in for service it was fine...

Last edited by nyfries; 05-15-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:15 AM   #39
iStanley
They call me Stan

Quote:
Lots of complaint of clunking at least from what i can tell in the forum. Mine clunks too. some say changing the oil help some say it doesn't. i would like to know if this is normal too. I feel like it shouldn't happen on a new car.

my first gear clunk 90% of the time. 2-3 clunks 30% of the time.

sometimes the shift is buttery smooth, sometimes it clunks like its broken… the most frustrating part it when i took it in for service it was fine...
I know right? I have a new transmission put in so I will wait 500 miles before I complain again if it still has issues lol

Old 05-16-2014, 08:53 AM   #40
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shattered_memory View Post
Also, when I had faulty tranny, it grinded into 4th gear at around 6,000 rpm. Make sure that the dealer tests the car when shifting at a higher rpm. They will not be able to feel the problem if they shift at a lower rpm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satinwhitebrz14 View Post
Really odd. When my transmission grinds (usually into 3rd), it's at lower/mid RPMs. When I shift at redline, no issues.

Quote:
sometimes the shift is buttery smooth, sometimes it clunks like its broken…
I've noticed this too. My theory on this is there's a lot of movement in the drivetrain (differential, transmission mounts are soft), so depending on how the transmission is loaded at the time of shift, it creates a different feeling on the shift. There's also a bit of rev-hang at lower RPMs (which disappears at high RPMs), which further complicates the issue.

I've found with my issue (grind into 3rd at mid/low RPMs), if I make an effort to lift completely off the gas between shifts and wait for the RPMs to fall (as mentioned, there's a bit of rev hang), the 2-3 shift is smooth 95% of the time.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
iStanley (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #41
iStanley
They call me Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Really odd. When my transmission grinds (usually into 3rd), it's at lower/mid RPMs. When I shift at redline, no issues.

I've noticed this too. My theory on this is there's a lot of movement in the drivetrain (differential, transmission mounts are soft), so depending on how the transmission is loaded at the time of shift, it creates a different feeling on the shift. There's also a bit of rev-hang at lower RPMs (which disappears at high RPMs), which further complicates the issue.

I've found with my issue (grind into 3rd at mid/low RPMs), if I make an effort to lift completely off the gas between shifts and wait for the RPMs to fall (as mentioned, there's a bit of rev hang), the 2-3 shift is smooth 95% of the time.
My shift into third is usually 80% bad. It feels like a spring launches it into 3rd and feels like it hits something on way there. Also, 4th gear feels the best, after they replaced my transmission of course.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #42
iStanley
They call me Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post

My shift into third is usually 80% bad. It feels like a spring launches it into 3rd and feels like it hits something on way there. Also, 4th gear feels the best, after they replaced my transmission of course.