follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2019, 11:46 PM   #1
8inchAzN
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Drives: Car
Location: Markham
Posts: 43
Thanks: 9
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Subaru vs Toyota air filter

I was wondering if there is a difference between an MY17 Subaru vs Toyota air filters. After doing some research, it seems the manuals do not have a large aftermarket support for the air filters. Can I just call up my local Subaru/ Toyota and go for the cheaper option or is there a consensus that one is better than the other?
8inchAzN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:22 AM   #2
Bonburner
Senior Member
 
Bonburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: M/T Argento FRS
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,297
Thanks: 1,410
Thanked 292 Times in 209 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
They are the same.
There is no change from 2013 model to current model respective to air filter size/dimensions. So you have TONS to pick from.

Edit - oops, I'm wrong. MT 2017+ are different.
__________________
Purchased: 6/22/12
Power: aFe Magnum FLOW Pro 5R; Deka Intimidator 35
Aero: JDM Underpanels
Suspension: KYB Excel-G Struts; PowerStop Drilled & Slotted Rotors
Audio: Headunit - Seicane S16003

Last edited by Bonburner; 02-25-2019 at 01:30 AM.
Bonburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:31 AM   #3
86MLR
Senior Member
 
86MLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: 2017 86 limited
Location: Sydney
Posts: 989
Thanks: 117
Thanked 674 Times in 386 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonburner View Post
They are the same.
There is no change from 2013 model to current model respective to air filter size/dimensions. So you have TONS to pick from.
Incorrect mate

2017+ manual have different airbox.

2017+ auto still uses pre 17

K&N and Blitz do aftermarket

Paper elements have more surface area than cotton

OEM 17+ paper element doesn't see a restriction as it has near on twice the surface area as the old design

Lots of different p/n's will fit, but most are cotton

I recommend OEM paper.
__________________
Disclaimer: This post represents the official views of the voices in my head at the time of posting.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133311
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 12:51 AM   #4
churchx
Senior Member
 
churchx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2014 orange GT86
Location: Latvia, Riga
Posts: 3,267
Thanks: 436
Thanked 1,441 Times in 1,008 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
86MLR: also might be incorrect USDM vs EUDM, as later lacks many of intake/exhaust/tune updates vs former, if i remember correctly
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:14 AM   #5
86MLR
Senior Member
 
86MLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: 2017 86 limited
Location: Sydney
Posts: 989
Thanks: 117
Thanked 674 Times in 386 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
86MLR: also might be incorrect USDM vs EUDM, as later lacks many of intake/exhaust/tune updates vs former, if i remember correctly
Ack on EU getting the old kit, but isn't Markham in Canadia?

I thought that AUD, JDM, USD, and, ummm, Canadia all had the same upgrades.

I am happy to be proved wrong, a lesson learnt and all that...

OP: Where are you, hold your hand up high so I can see you....
__________________
Disclaimer: This post represents the official views of the voices in my head at the time of posting.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133311
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
8inchAzN (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 09:54 AM   #6
8inchAzN
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Drives: Car
Location: Markham
Posts: 43
Thanks: 9
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Ack on EU getting the old kit, but isn't Markham in Canadia?

I thought that AUD, JDM, USD, and, ummm, Canadia all had the same upgrades.

I am happy to be proved wrong, a lesson learnt and all that...

OP: Where are you, hold your hand up high so I can see you....
Correct, I am in Canadia.

Seems like Toyota and Subaru both use the same filters.
8inchAzN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:47 AM   #7
8inchAzN
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Drives: Car
Location: Markham
Posts: 43
Thanks: 9
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Incorrect mate

2017+ manual have different airbox.

2017+ auto still uses pre 17

K&N and Blitz do aftermarket

Paper elements have more surface area than cotton

OEM 17+ paper element doesn't see a restriction as it has near on twice the surface area as the old design

Lots of different p/n's will fit, but most are cotton

I recommend OEM paper.
So I just called Toyota and Subaru, they want 23$ vs 48$ respectively. However, the guy told me that the 2017 air filters are the same part for the MT and the AT. Skeptical, I called another dealer and they told me the same thing. Now I am curious lol.
8inchAzN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:02 AM   #8
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 54,755
Thanks: 48,704
Thanked 75,772 Times in 34,392 Posts
Mentioned: 2005 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8inchAzN View Post
So I just called Toyota and Subaru, they want 23$ vs 48$ respectively. However, the guy told me that the 2017 air filters are the same part for the MT and the AT. Skeptical, I called another dealer and they told me the same thing. Now I am curious lol.
They are wrong if a MT but correct if an AT


The MT 17s use a much higher flow filter and intake. There is really no benefits to an aftermarket one so they never really got into it.
The AT 17s use the same as the 13+ so there are benefits to changing it and there are loads of options.


Just get whichever is cheaper.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:11 AM   #9
8inchAzN
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Drives: Car
Location: Markham
Posts: 43
Thanks: 9
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
They are wrong if a MT but correct if an AT


The MT 17s use a much higher flow filter and intake. There is really no benefits to an aftermarket one so they never really got into it.
The AT 17s use the same as the 13+ so there are benefits to changing it and there are loads of options.


Just get whichever is cheaper.
When I asked regarding 2017MT vs a 2017 AT air filter, both Toyota Dealerships told me they were the same part when they searched it on their computer.

The price difference was between Toyota and Subaru
8inchAzN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:17 AM   #10
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 54,755
Thanks: 48,704
Thanked 75,772 Times in 34,392 Posts
Mentioned: 2005 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8inchAzN View Post
When I asked regarding 2017MT vs a 2017 AT air filter, both Toyota Dealerships told me they were the same part when they searched it on their computer.

The price difference was between Toyota and Subaru
They are wrong. The picture I attached is the change to the 2017 MT ONLY. The AT filter remains the same as it was before and will not fit the 17+ MT. They are very different in size and shape.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:29 AM   #11
86TOYO2k17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Location: PNW
Posts: 624
Thanks: 45
Thanked 243 Times in 175 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8inchAzN View Post
When I asked regarding 2017MT vs a 2017 AT air filter, both Toyota Dealerships told me they were the same part when they searched it on their computer.

The price difference was between Toyota and Subaru
Did you just say air filter or specify intake filter? Your first post makes it sound like you are referring to the cabin air filter. Which is the same for all vehicles.

The intake filter should be different.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:35 AM   #12
8inchAzN
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Drives: Car
Location: Markham
Posts: 43
Thanks: 9
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Did you just say air filter or specify intake filter? Your first post makes it sound like you are referring to the cabin air filter. Which is the same for all vehicles.

The intake filter should be different.
Sorry, I mean the engine filter. I specified Engine filter when I called them.
8inchAzN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:42 AM   #13
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 54,755
Thanks: 48,704
Thanked 75,772 Times in 34,392 Posts
Mentioned: 2005 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8inchAzN View Post
Sorry, I mean the engine filter. I specified Engine filter when I called them.
The Toyota part number for the MT intake filter is SU00306405


The AT part number is SU00300319




Subaru MT part number is 16546AA170
AT is 16546JB000
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
8inchAzN (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 12:36 PM   #14
igorotak
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Drives: FR-S
Location: Canada
Posts: 23
Thanks: 2
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Don't intend to derail the thread but seeing that my17 and newer air intakes are better than previous years, is it plug n play if to swap a my17 or newer in my16? Or does it need a tune?
igorotak is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil Filter For Toyota 86.. Need Help Twin-Dragons Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) 1 06-14-2018 06:01 PM
TRD Intake Filter Air Filter Cleaner Element FRS BRZ 86 Toyota Racing Development hirollaz Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons 0 03-15-2017 02:46 AM
Which OEM oil filter? Subaru or Toyota? ndsleep612 Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) 25 04-30-2016 10:14 AM
Toyota Denso Oil filter fumanchu1 Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) 12 11-14-2015 07:30 AM
OEM Subaru engine air filter + cabin air filter autobrz Mechanical Maintenance and Tools 6 03-09-2014 09:28 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.