follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 12-29-2017, 08:49 PM   #71
arthur93

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Gauge Install

Quite a bit has happened during the Christmas/New Year break. I intended to install my gauges when once again, an error on my behalf ended being a costly mistake.

Last Tuesday I began installing my gauges. Aim was to find my sources of 12V ignition power and dimming source for my 3 Autometer gauges (water temp, oil temp and pressure gauges). Also aimed at getting my Block8head install completed with gauges in the pod. I used @RallySport Direct install guide to help me with locating the wires;
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36643

That all went well. Hardest part of all was installing the pod as the clips did not want to clip in place. There are 5 tabs from memory and i could only manage to get 4 in after over an hour of trying. Seemed secure so I left it at that. My 52mm gauges slotted in perfectly. This gauge is honestly the best option I think for our vehicles. On the inside of each pod, there is a strip of double sided tape. I decided to not peal the protective layer and use the strip as if I wanted to remove my gauges down the line for whatever reason, I wanted it to be easy. Even without using the tape, the gauges are very well secured within the pod.

Last wednesday I aimed to install my sensors. I installed my oil temp sensor on the oil gallery plug next to the throttle body. Install was very simple. Just had to disconnect all the intake piping up to the throttle body for ease of access. I went and installed my oil pressure sensor into the stock location on the timing chain. As my gauges are US, I purchased a male BSP to NPT adapter. This is where I made the error. The adapter needed to be BSPT to NPT not BSP. I researched the difference between BS and the N, but never knew the T stood for tapered. This resulted in me cracking the timing case and oil would squirt out harder than you know what.

Contacted Toyota and they wanted 1200-1300 for a new case and then 2-3k for labour. They said the engine had to be removed. I thought nah that is a load of crap and began to look elsewhere. However, as this occurred between Christmas and New Year, most shops were closed and many to the 8th of January. I couldn't wait that long. Thank god one of my mates knew someone who had a shop open during the break. I managed to source a second hand case for 400 and labour was $1,100; an expensive much much better outcome.

While the car was at the shop, I got them to cut my rear fenders as I had the slightest of rubbing in the rear as well as got them to install my Verus Engineering Cam plate. Once removed, the stock had no signs of leaks but thought may as well since it is there. Also realised that my HKS Type S oil cooler does have ports on the sandwich plate adapter. I saw these threads but the instructions said nothing about these being ports so I thought not to use them to be safe.

Now my water and oil temp gauges are all installed and working. For my oil pressure sensor, just need to buy a 90 degree adapter and run it off the sandwich plate. All wired up and ready to go; Hence why my gauge is red and at 100 PSI!! Also just need to program the colours for my gauges and then all done!! I may do a time lapse video on showing the features of the gauges going from cold, to normal, to hot, and then dangerously hot.

Instagram: artym93
arthur93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to arthur93 For This Useful Post:
Lococholo84 (02-22-2018)
Old 12-29-2017, 11:10 PM   #72
arthur93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Loving all the nice builds from Australia!
Definitely helps with the massive community in the US and the massive aftermarket you guys have. Plus this forum has helped me with absolutely anything and everything. Learnt heaps!!

Last edited by arthur93; 12-30-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:25 PM   #73
arthur93

Here are a few snaps made of me and my mates car from a few nights ago.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arthur93 For This Useful Post:
Lococholo84 (02-21-2018), Surok (01-05-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 10:46 PM   #74
arthur93

OEM Mud Flaps & 86 Cruise

I was getting sick and tired of cringing everytime rocks were hitting my doors thanks to my wide wheels and tyres and the car getting dirty after a day so after your recommendations, I went for the OEM mud flaps over the rally armor ones. Install was pretty straight forward. No instructions included but easy enough to work out. I used a youtube video just to be sure that I have installed it correctly. Link below;

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR9McA67ptU&t=326s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR9McA67ptU&t=326s[/ame]

His channel is awesome for brz/86 stuff. Not affiliated at all. Have watched many of his videos and have found them very helpful so may help out others here as well.

As you will see in the pictures below, my tyres still stick out past the mud flaps. However, I don't believe this is the contact patch so not concerned. Have had them on for 4 days now as so far, so good.

I also went to my first 86 cruise. Had an absolute blast seeing other 86/brz, talking about our cars and meeting new people. Weather was perfect as well!! There was a turbo 86 with the full blown kit and man, after hearing spool in an 86, have to go turbo now!!

Lococholo84 (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 05:04 PM   #75
arthur93

Been a while since last posted. Been enjoying my car with all the rush of mods coming to an end. Installed the splitter tie rods on my verus engineering splitter. Very happy with results and improves the look heaps in my opinion. Went to a drift day on Saturday (18th Feb) and learnt peanut shape drifting. Doesn't sound like much but stoked to keep improving my skills each time I go. If you haven't seen my instagram yet, I have included a video link below.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWPz4jzXvOc&t=4s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWPz4jzXvOc&t=4s[/ame]

What is happening in the near future? Order a set of Verus Engineering hood vents. They are meant to arrive late next week. Have my car booked at Concept Garage for the install on 20th March. Have a twilight trackday happening on the 7th March and provided I have funds in the kitty, another twilight event on the 21st March. All that should keep me busy over the next month or so.

VerusEric (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #76
Surok
Wise old man

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
i am really keen on those verus hood vents. the heat coming out of my turbo must be intense.
Surok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:03 AM   #77
arthur93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surok View Post
i am really keen on those verus hood vents. the heat coming out of my turbo must be intense.
I got them because I have heard guys even while n/a blowing coil packs on our cars. If you have seen the data sheet on verus' website, on the driver side coil packs, temps reduce by up to 30 degrees Celsius which is ridiculous. Just bear it mind unless you install them yourself, labour will be a lot. Concept garage is going to charge me around 800 on labour. Still cheaper a varis bonnet. Will get that one day!!

Old 02-22-2018, 07:07 PM   #78
Surok
Wise old man

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur93 View Post
I got them because I have heard guys even while n/a blowing coil packs on our cars. If you have seen the data sheet on verus' website, on the driver side coil packs, temps reduce by up to 30 degrees Celsius which is ridiculous. Just bear it mind unless you install them yourself, labour will be a lot. Concept garage is going to charge me around 800 on labour. Still cheaper a varis bonnet. Will get that one day!!
i have blown the direct injector seals on the drivers side i guess from the heat at the track when i was NA, it resulted in the sound of fireworks under the bonnet when the direct injectors were working, (mid throttle medium load)
i used to get the coil pack code at the track too.

I assumed a good header would have resolved that rather than having that 1200 degree cat right there under the coil packs.
Surok is offline   Reply With Quote