follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
EJ20

Drives: NA8C, GDB, and R50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy I fainted today

hello guys

Long story short. I'm 26, 5.5ft and my weight is 140lbs. This is perfect for now.
Well my life style in the last 5 years did not include any workouts as I was busy between work and collage studies. Last week I finished my collage for good and decided to join some kick boxing club.

Today was my 1st day, and I only was able to keep up for only ~25 min, then I fainted it started with vision loss, then not being able to stand up!
Is this normal for a guy who did not do any excersise for more than 5 years? or something wrong with me? this is the 1st time happen to me (maybe becuase I don't push too hard before?)

Anyway, I went back to normal after ~30 min and I was able to drive my car (damn and it was manual lucky I did not make accident)

any tips guys? I have another class after tomorrow and don't want to have this bad feeling

I wounder if this issue will go away if I endure for the next 2 or 3 weeks? Do you thing guys its better to stop before reaching my limits and increase work out time slowly? (ie 1st time 25min, then 30min, then 35min?) the whole class is 60 min of non stop work outs (only 1 min stop between each workout?)

help please?

Update:

Oh thaks God nothing wrong with me. Its just because I did not push my self to the limits in the past few years! I have now done 6 classes of hard work (yes I get tired, but not like the 1st class) hopfully I can keep up with the other guys soon

Last edited by EJ20; 01-02-2012 at 05:32 PM.
EJ20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You should probably go see you primary care physician. However sounds like a syncopal event to me.

Did you lose consciousness? How long were you out for?
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
EJ20

Drives: NA8C, GDB, and R50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
You should probably go see you primary care physician. However sounds like a syncopal event to me.

Did you lose consciousness? How long were you out for?
I'm going to see a doctor in saturday morining.

I was out for like 5 or 10 min not sure, but completely recovred (or was able to move) after 30 min
Old 12-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I would skip the class until you see a physician. Passing out from a 25 minute workout is not normal. You could be dehydrated or have blood pressure issues.
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ20 View Post
Today was my 1st day, and I only was able to keep up for only ~25 min, then I fainted it started with vision loss, then not being able to stand up!
Is this normal for a guy who did not do any excersise for more than 5 years? or something wrong with me? this is the 1st time happen to me (maybe becuase I don't push too hard before?)

help please?
This is probably the main reason why! Jumping right into a full blown workout after a 5 yr stint is asking for trouble. Your heart isn't used to pumping that much blood and not enough to your brain.

Go see your doctor but even though you're still young, you have ease into it especially since your body hasn't adjusted.

I've seen guys doing the P90x workout and after several minutes, they're . No lie!
Old 12-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
Ryuu0u
(=^・ェ・^=)

Drives: 2013 FRS, '08 GSXR 600
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I've seen this before when i used to teach martial arts. Some newer students who looked like they haven't worked out in a while would join the class and regardless i'd still put them through the same hell as senior students. They would often have to sit out for a while, only have had one pass out on me during a test. It is really based upon how they run the school. If they treat everyone the same regardless of experience it is better to get your cardio up with some simple jogging along with basic exercise before you start going full out in these classes. If they have a slower beginners class then i suggest that. I my self have had the same experience when i haven't worked out for about a year and i thought i could go full out like i used to. I just ended up almost passing out on the side of the road. Just take it easy till and work your way up to the level that you want/need to be at for the class.
Ryuu0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
bambbrose
Wiring Nerd

Drives: 1994 Supra
How long was it before the workout that you ate/hydrated yourself?
bambbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
Neutral_Eyes
Softparker

Drives: 2002 Mazda Miata
I'd say that's fairly normal. I didn't work out after high school for a few years and was at a friend's house, decided to try and bench what I was doing back in high school and ended with me throwing up.

Same thing happened when my work truck died and I had to push it by myself. Fainted, threw up, called out of work the next day.

Slowly work your cardio up and make sure you eat and drink enough to fuel you through the classes and you'll probably be fine.
Neutral_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
VenomRush
Thee O-ri-gi-na-tor

Drives: 2013 FR-S
uhhh, remember to breathe? all joking aside, ive been up and down with being in shape for almost 6 years now.. ive been somewhat close to what you are describing but it was only dehydration. all our bodies are different but for me it got better before it got worse, the more i worked out and the more i pushed myself, the better my body felt afterwards
VenomRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Well first off it's a good thing you already scheduled an appointment with a doctor.

Secondly, you should most likely start off at a slower pace. You should look into doing some simple cardio exercises to build up your stamina. At your height and weight I'd say you just need to eat more food that has plenty calories and get enough water.
I've seen people who barely workout come in the gym and end up over doing then get injured as their final result. So make sure you take it easy and you'll eventually get to your goal.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #11
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

Drives: The ladies wild!
Only 2 possible answers.
A- you were roofied and more than likely involved in a gang bang.
B- you need to nut up or shut up.

Trust me. I'm a doctor.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #12
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Well there could be a couple reasons it happened. You might not have drank enough water during the day, it's fairly easy to feint during strenuous exercise if you're dehydrated. Like you said it typically starts with vision loss.

Personally I'm in excellent shape, been lifting for about 6 years now and I feinted the other day because I gapped my meals incorrectly and decided to be a smarty; supersetting on an empty stomach. Long and the short of it is, my blood sugar plummeted and I ended up getting dizzy and waking up to a chocolate bar and chocolate milk being fed to me.

Still see a physican just to make sure everything checks out but it's not uncommon to feint if you didn't fuel correctly; just think of your body like a car where food is fuel and water is oil. When a car is low on gas or lacks fuel pressure it'll misfire or stall (you'll feint), when a car is too low or out of oil you'll wreck the motor (just like a body without enough water taxes muscles/organs/nervous system).
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #13
ucla bruin

Drives: Daily
Nothing more than what everyone has said. Drink plenty of fluids afterwards to recover. Eat a good meal. Rest.

Too much too soon especially when you haven't exercised in YEARS.

But good news is once you recover, you'll be in better shape than before. Jogging is a good and gradual way to get back into it.

I see what you're doing, getting ready for the FR-S and those track days coming up
ucla bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #14
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSHC View Post
Well there could be a couple reasons it happened. You might not have drank enough water during the day, it's fairly easy to feint during strenuous exercise if you're dehydrated. Like you said it typically starts with vision loss.

Personally I'm in excellent shape, been lifting for about 6 years now and I feinted the other day because I gapped my meals incorrectly and decided to be a smarty; supersetting on an empty stomach. Long and the short of it is, my blood sugar plummeted and I ended up getting dizzy and waking up to a chocolate bar and chocolate milk being fed to me.

Still see a physican just to make sure everything checks out but it's not uncommon to feint if you didn't fuel correctly; just think of your body like a car where food is fuel and water is oil. When a car is low on gas or lacks fuel pressure it'll misfire or stall (you'll feint), when a car is too low or out of oil you'll wreck the motor (just like a body without enough water taxes muscles/organs/nervous system).

It is faint. Not feint. Feint is a fencing term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feint

The OP had a syncopate event. Most likely due to orthostatic hypotension or a vasovagal response. Less likely but still possible would be if the OP was hypoglycemic when the event took place.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote