follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #57
BryanGT

Drives: WRD BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Regardless of how instinctively you correct traction problems, the electronic nannies can do something you can't do, which is applying brake pressure on individual wheels. You only have one brake pedal.
Don't tell me what I can't do!
BryanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BryanGT For This Useful Post:
raul (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #58
raul
Lap time enthusiast

Drives: Asphalt '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #59
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftartist View Post
sorry in advanced for the amateur question but how far sideways can you get in sport mode? i am used to sliding but i would still like to leave the car in sport mode so as to save me from miscalculated errors....just wondering if anyone knew. (mind you i hardly ever do stupid things in my car. i only slid maybe twice for fun. but thats all)
Just leave the computers on and go feel the car out progressively. Eventually you'll see lights blinking on your dash I'd expect. Then you'll know!
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #60
dammitcubs

Drives: 2008 EVO X
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think the wording is wrong. Let's be honest here, not all drivers are skilled equally.

Hence the video link below:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6z2AJkRUNIo"]Incidente Ferrari 458 ripreso in diretta su autostrada! - YouTube[/ame]

But that said, for people who don't use the traction controls, you make the judgement call based on your skill level. If you crash, don't be whining back over here. For people who choose to keep the traction control on, that's fine, we are not made equally and over time your skills will get better.
dammitcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #61
idontwan2know

Drives: NA
Well, that's what I get for talking out of my ass. Didn't realize they were mandated as of 2012.
idontwan2know is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to idontwan2know For This Useful Post:
BlaineWasHere (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #62
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Prior to whether or not the Ferrari driver was skilled in driving and thus over-compensated, the cause of the crash, in part, was his inability to accelerate into the driving lane in a timely manner. Maybe he couldn't find the right gear. Maybe he was wearing combat boots. Maybe he was looking for the windshield wiper controls. maybe he was texting " Hey, sweetie, guess what I'm driving today". Maybe he was new to the car and was too tentative since these cars do not have the best rear view visibility. (he forgot to take notes in driver ed class about adjusting mirrors before starting out). The driver behind the Ferrari was also a fuck-up because he lacked the patience to allow the Ferrari,(the car he would have liked to own) to get into the lane and the Ferrari driver got pissed because the fuckup cut him off.

Too many times one little fuckup leads to a more serious fuckup.
Lesson: Don't do little fuckups in inclement weather.
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #63
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So speaks he who has five feet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanGT View Post
Don't tell me what I can't do!
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #64
a2cpc

Drives: WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZfan View Post
Not "lucky" so much as just smart, healthy, cautious and experienced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenki_levin View Post
It has nothing to do with luck. So many people drove rwd cars for decades without having nannies and they're all fine. Now all of sudden everybody needs nannies bacause their car is constantly losing traction. I've seen a grandma with an s13 in the rain once and she was doing fine.
I am not saying that there are those who are better drivers than others, just that there are more drivers that suck than there are god ones. I forget who said it...

"You have to be good to appear lucky, but you can be lucky without being good.
a2cpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #65
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
Well no, as a matter of fact, they're not all fine. Lots of them died in car accidents, at least some of which likely would have been avoided with "nannies".
The actuarial evidence from the insurance industry supports you completely on this. Cars equipped with functioning traction and stability control are 30% less likely to get into accidents, and if they do have an accident, someone is 40% less likely to die from it. This is why they are now being mandated.

Curiously, though, ABS has proved to be a statistical wash with respect to accidents.

(Sorry, can't remember the source for this data but I remember the data clearly, as I was struck by the discrepancy between the ABS and TC/SC outcomes.)
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #66
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
Curiously, though, ABS has proved to be a statistical wash with respect to accidents.

(Sorry, can't remember the source for this data but I remember the data clearly, as I was struck by the discrepancy between the ABS and TC/SC outcomes.)
That seems weird to me, but then again I have had people tell me that a lot of the time people don't actually brake hard enough to activate ABS or keep it activated in an emergency. Hence these stupid "brake assist" things making their way into cars.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #67
DeepHunta

Drives: '05 Outback Wgn, '05 Lotus Elise
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I completely agree about leaving the VSC on.

I've had my fair share of dicey situations. A prime example was a few months ago, as I was exiting a corner, I decided to go fast and fling the back side a bit. I've done this before and was surprised as how the car quickly recovered from an "over-oversteer". Anyways, back to a few months ago: I think I was going a little too fast where the back slid, recovered it, but I think my recovery was too much as I over corrected the front steering so the back was sliding left and right.

I ended up with my rear up a curb. THANKFULLY no damages at all! My "check engine" light came on and was scared but after bringing it to the dealership, there were no issues.

If anyone wants to know the different default codes of when the check engine light will come on for our cars, it's the following:
1. Too much wheel spin (heheh, yup)
2. Tires locked up (hehe yup)
3. Barometric pressure inside the engine manifold is high (no idea what that is)

So yes! Leave the "nannies" on for normal driving. If taking it off, make sure there is plenty of road around you: AKA go to an empty airfield to do some hooligan stuff
Proud ex-owner of GBS 6MT BRZ Limited. Pre-ordered on Feb-29-2012, got VIN on 5/19 with ETA 6/6, arrived early on 6/2, but still didn't pick it up until Jun-6-2012. Recently sold the Buuurz as of 4/21/2014
DeepHunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #68
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@Autolux View Post
Mine are off every time, every day, rain or shine.

-Andrew
Where do you live so I can steer WAY clear of you!

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote