follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 01-12-2013, 03:47 AM   #57
tintumz22

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Toyota 86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
1-2 cm? That seems kinda a lot. I would drain some of it out. Yes, overfilling can be bad. If the oil looks foamy with air bubbles that is definitely bad and way overfilled. If its overfilled to that point you can damage the engine. What happens is the crank is smacking into the oil and whipping up into foam and you'll loose oil pressure because oil pump doesn't like to pump air. Losing oil pressure means early demise! If you don't see bubbles then just drive easy until you get a chance to drain some out, you'll prob be ok, but if you see bubbles, do it now!
Damn! No bubbles so far when I checked it. Need to put some oil out then! What is the ideal? In between the two holes or near full? And I don't know if i forgot to wipe the surrounding of where you attach the filter but can you take a look at the pictures I attached that there is a very little amount of oil around it. I filmed the o ring of the filter w/ my oil. Normal?
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357980399.684026.jpg
Views: 2660
Size:  54.6 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357980419.864278.jpg
Views: 2637
Size:  45.7 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357980429.411428.jpg
Views: 2709
Size:  48.4 KB
tintumz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #58
root

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure that's ok. Try and get a rag/towel in there to soak up the oil & see if you get any more again. If not, I'm sure the filter install is fine.
The oil level, you can have it up to the top dot, or anywhere inbetween. When it gets to the low dot then you should add some. Generally the dots mean lower than the lower dot and you run risk of oil level being too low for oil pump pickup to reach, above the high dot and you run the risk of the crank hitting the oil & foaming it. I'm sure there's a certain amount of safety leeway in either direction.
It's good that you're concerned about this, but I think you're fine so rest easy and just keep an eye on things. Drain a little of the oil at next convenient time, wipe up the oil around the filter and watch to see if you get more oil later.
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:38 AM   #59
RallySport Direct

Drives: 2014 Widebody Cosworth FR-S
Thanked 1,198 Times in 554 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
I'm pretty sure that's ok. Try and get a rag/towel in there to soak up the oil & see if you get any more again. If not, I'm sure the filter install is fine.
The oil level, you can have it up to the top dot, or anywhere inbetween. When it gets to the low dot then you should add some. Generally the dots mean lower than the lower dot and you run risk of oil level being too low for oil pump pickup to reach, above the high dot and you run the risk of the crank hitting the oil & foaming it. I'm sure there's a certain amount of safety leeway in either direction.
It's good that you're concerned about this, but I think you're fine so rest easy and just keep an eye on things. Drain a little of the oil at next convenient time, wipe up the oil around the filter and watch to see if you get more oil later.

Good post, and I agree, it is always good to be concerned about this and many people are not, then wonder why their engine seized when they do not check their oil lever for 4K miles. I do think you are okay though, but always best to keep an eye on it just to be safe. And most track guys will overfill their oil a bit above the top line assuming they will burn oil through the day anyway, so I think you would be okay.

Let us know if you have any questions!
Thanks,
Rick
RallySport Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RallySport Direct For This Useful Post:
amram (03-25-2014)
Old 01-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #60
mkiisupra

Drives: 83 Toyota Supra, 16 FR-S RS2.0
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Thanks for this DIY! Loved the pics! Changed today!!

Eric G
mkiisupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:06 AM   #61
RallySport Direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiisupra View Post
Thanks for this DIY! Loved the pics! Changed today!!

Eric G
You are welcome!!! Glad this helped you out.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 01-29-2013, 01:14 AM   #62
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySport Direct View Post
Good post, and I agree, it is always good to be concerned about this and many people are not, then wonder why their engine seized when they do not check their oil lever for 4K miles. I do think you are okay though, but always best to keep an eye on it just to be safe. And most track guys will overfill their oil a bit above the top line assuming they will burn oil through the day anyway, so I think you would be okay.

Let us know if you have any questions!
Thanks,
Rick
I always forget to check the dipstick when I'm filling up....bad habit.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:25 AM   #63
RallySport Direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
I always forget to check the dipstick when I'm filling up....bad habit.
haha me too. But I do check it regularly, usually on my lunch break

Perhaps I should make a habit of checking it at the gas station hoping that other people see me and think "Gee, maybe I should check my oil too!" Or if they asked, I would be happy to check it for them of course.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 01-29-2013, 07:16 AM   #64
Calin
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ - 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
My BRZ came with 20k miles of free oil changes. Why are so many people doing their own oil changes? Do you guys not trust the dealerships or is there another reason? I'm really curious.
Calin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calin For This Useful Post:
RallySport Direct (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 PM   #65
RallySport Direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calin View Post
My BRZ came with 20k miles of free oil changes. Why are so many people doing their own oil changes? Do you guys not trust the dealerships or is there another reason? I'm really curious.
We did our own as we wanted to use a specific filter, oil and the drain plug. I am with you though, if I bought a brand new car and did not want anything special in regards to the oil, I would have the dealer do it for free if it was offered.

Also I think many of the guys here, myself included get a great sense of accomplishment of doing things ourselves. Sometimes I genuinely enjoy working on my cars, and sometimes I want to burn it to the ground in frustration haha

I would be curious to hear people's answers though, as your question brings up some great points.

Thanks,
Rick
The Following User Says Thank You to RallySport Direct For This Useful Post:
Calin (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 11:59 PM   #66
Calin
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySport Direct View Post
We did our own as we wanted to use a specific filter, oil and the drain plug. I am with you though, if I bought a brand new car and did not want anything special in regards to the oil, I would have the dealer do it for free if it was offered.

Also I think many of the guys here, myself included get a great sense of accomplishment of doing things ourselves. Sometimes I genuinely enjoy working on my cars, and sometimes I want to burn it to the ground in frustration haha

I would be curious to hear people's answers though, as your question brings up some great points.

Thanks,
Rick
Thanks for the reply! I've actually never done an oil change myself, but have always wanted to. Mostly because of that sense of accomplishment you mentioned haha. Plus it seems pretty simple and straightforward. I think I'll just have the dealer do those free oil changes for 20k miles, and then start doing them myself after that.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:16 AM   #67
Kamran
Pepe Le Pew Wannabe

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I am told by the service dept that only the 7.5k and the 15k miles oil changes are inculded in the maintenance agreement. You can ask to performed the 7.5k sooner than 7.5k, as well as the 15k miles. However only two oil changes are all you get. If you want to change oil at 1k miles or more frequently than the oem service agreement, then you are on your own.

I'm also independently very, very..... dependent!
Kamran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kamran For This Useful Post:
RallySport Direct (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 01:13 AM   #68
RallySport Direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calin View Post
Thanks for the reply! I've actually never done an oil change myself, but have always wanted to. Mostly because of that sense of accomplishment you mentioned haha. Plus it seems pretty simple and straightforward. I think I'll just have the dealer do those free oil changes for 20k miles, and then start doing them myself after that.
Heck yeah! Might as well get the free stuff while you can!

Thanks again!
Rick
Old 01-30-2013, 01:30 AM   #69
RallySport Direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran View Post
I am told by the service dept that only the 7.5k and the 15k miles oil changes are inculded in the maintenance agreement. You can ask to performed the 7.5k sooner than 7.5k, as well as the 15k miles. However only two oil changes are all you get. If you want to change oil at 1k miles or more frequently than the oem service agreement, then you are on your own.
Good info, thanks!

Rick
Old 01-30-2013, 01:55 AM   #70
Calin
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran View Post
My dealership told me a different story. They told me to come in after my first 3,750 miles to get my first oil change, and then after that every 7,500 miles. I told the sales manager that I wanted my first oil change after the first 1,000 mile break in and she said that's ok with her. I only have 650 miles on my BRZ so far, so I'll be going in soon for my first oil change
The Following User Says Thank You to Calin For This Useful Post:
RallySport Direct (01-31-2013)