follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 08-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #113
Random_Art
professional smartass

Drives: 16 speed mountain bike...
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I hated the front of the Gen coupe before. This new one passes into the realm of "Cleanse it with fire before it spreads!"

Goodbye Celica, you served me well.

http://artsofrandomness.blogspot.com/
Random_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:02 PM   #114
aloretoc

Drives: Subaru WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82mm 4g63 View Post
If that is the official new front end and with all the official FRS numbers still up in the air this is where I stand as of right now.

w/o 274hp
GC <------X----|----------> FRS

w/ 274hp
GC <X---------|----------> FRS

The ball is really in Toyota's court, but the 274hp engine can really seal the deal. There are a lot of if's though.
If the FRS comes in looking anywhere near as sexy as the FRS or Mk2 concepts that would definitely give it a few bonus points.
If the FRS can be had for >$20k, more bonus points.
If the FRS weighs in under 2700#s, more bonus points.

Me, personally i don't like hyundai... never had one but where i come from they have a, lets say not a good reputation for durable cars, It crossed my mind to test drive the genesis coupe 3.8 when i was car shopping, even though it is a fast car there was a "something" factor i didn't like (it did not "wow" me), for example when i test drove the wrx I now own i could not stop smiling from the moment that car started moving... I was sold... i just hope that the FR-S has that factor when it comes out... don't make any decision yet... i would wait to test drive the FR-S before deciding for a hyundai...

Just my $0.02
aloretoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #115
RWDJunkie

Drives: P.O.S.
Quote:
It's a very bold move from Hyundai's design department. I think there's a fine line between aggressive and ugly. Sort of reminds me of the EvoX meets Nemesis.

I think you hit the nail on the head. My first thoughts were: "Evo X smashed with a distorted Audi grill." But the Nemesis, if more like it.

Hopefully, a company will offer a nicer front as a kit or something. I don't mind the headlights, and I even like what they did with the fog housing. But the grill just isn't working with the coupe. It was ok on the hatchback, but... not here.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:45 PM   #116
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Drives: 92TalonAWD, 93RX7, 11F150EcoBoost
Send a message via AIM to 82mm 4g63
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloretoc View Post
Me, personally i don't like hyundai... never had one but where i come from they have a, lets say not a good reputation for durable cars, It crossed my mind to test drive the genesis coupe 3.8 when i was car shopping, even though it is a fast car there was a "something" factor i didn't like (it did not "wow" me), for example when i test drove the wrx I now own i could not stop smiling from the moment that car started moving... I was sold... i just hope that the FR-S has that factor when it comes out... don't make any decision yet... i would wait to test drive the FR-S before deciding for a hyundai...

Just my $0.02
I used to hate Hyundai. When I used to travel from South Jersey to DC on a weekly basis my company would rent me a Hyundai Santa Fe suv. It was the biggest POS I think I ever drove. The wind noise was unbearable, the comfort was non existent, and their was a certain clumsy factor that I just couldn't stand.

That was 7 years ago. Since then I've driven in the Sonata, Elantra, Accent, Tucson, Genesis and GC. I like the look, feel, and comfort of the Elantra over my brothers 2010 Civic. My buddy's Sonata is much nicer looking than my grandfather's 09 Camry or my mothers 2010 Accord. The Genesis sedan is a hell of a lot nicer than my uncles 2011 Maxima.

Every complaint I had about the original Santa Fe have been addressed and completely eliminated, from the look and feel to the comfort and gadgets. If I had to pick one auto company that get's what I, as a consumer, wants... I would pick Hyundai.
82mm 4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:49 PM   #117
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDJunkie View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head. My first thoughts were: "Evo X smashed with a distorted Audi grill." But the Nemesis, if more like it.

Hopefully, a company will offer a nicer front as a kit or something. I don't mind the headlights, and I even like what they did with the fog housing. But the grill just isn't working with the coupe. It was ok on the hatchback, but... not here.
I keep envisioning the grill smiling without those two bottom gill slits to let the front mount intercooler shine through. And depending on where the actually bumper is, shrinking the larger center beam or atleast raising the bottom of it a little.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #118
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
The Hyundai styling for me has been 90% good lately, but the last 10% just wrecked it for me.

But yesterday I did a double-take when I saw my first Kia Optima live. It was bright white, with the panoramic sunroof. And I was 'WTF is that???' It's pretty damn nice. I seriously thought maybe a new Acura model.

I would really like to see what Kia would do a Genesis coupe styling-wise. (Optima is just the same as a Sonata, right?)

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:07 PM   #119
Type[R]+

Drives: Lexus IS-F
It looks great, goes great, does everything right......... but it's a Hyundai!
If this was from any of the Japanese manufacturers, it would be 100x better lol!

I'm sure people will get over this stigma in time, but their poor build quality has scarred the minds of everyone.
Type[R]+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #120
aloretoc

Drives: Subaru WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type[R]+ View Post
If this was from any of the Japanese manufacturers, it would be 100x better lol!

I'm sure people will get over this stigma in time, but their poor build quality has scarred the minds of everyone.
I feel the same way. Maybe if toyota had released this car instead of hyundai I would have probably given it a good chance. I know it runs fine, it has great features and a great warranty program. But the"its still a hyundai" cant get it of my mind. I can't get pass it.
aloretoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #121
RWDJunkie

Drives: P.O.S.
After looking at the Elantra for a second... I decided to color match the Gen coupe's grill-bar thing too.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #122
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type[R]+ View Post

I can't knock someone for that, I think that every time we talk about Miata's. lol It's light, it's tiny, it handles great...but it's a Miata. I wonder what we would be saying 30 years ago about the Celica Supra. Looks cool, drives nice...but it's a Jap car? :happy0180:
Old 08-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #123
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I can't knock someone for that, I think that every time we talk about Miata's. lol It's light, it's tiny, it handles great...but it's a Miata. I wonder what we would be saying 30 years ago about the Celica Supra. Looks cool, drives nice...but it's a Jap car? :happy0180:
But were the early Japanese cars as horribly unreliable as the early Korean cars?

When I was a kid my family had a 1979 Civic that was incredibly reliable. Southern Ontario winter road salt killed it, though...

I've heard nothing but bad things about Excels, Ponys and SCoupes, etc...

So that's likely where the stigma comes from.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:04 PM   #124
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
But were the early Japanese cars as horribly unreliable as the early Korean cars?

When I was a kid my family had a 1979 Civic that was incredibly reliable. Southern Ontario winter road salt killed it, though...

I've heard nothing but bad things about Excels, Ponys and SCoupes, etc...

So that's likely where the stigma comes from.
Good point, I have no idea how the early Japanese cars were (quality wise) in the states in the 70s. I look at Hyundai cars the same way I looked at Samsung electronics. Started off making low-budget electronics that couldn't hold a light to Sony, but after less than a decade of R&D they kick the pants off Sony LCDs. I don't know, I guess I'm sick and tired of the dullness that is Japanese cars and looking for something new.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #125
slusoccer00
S2K TO FT86??

Drives: Honda S2000
Well I've had great experiences with Hyundai.. My whole family has become Hyundai owners.

My wife has a 2011 Black Hyundai Sonata SE (Turbo was released a month afterwards)
My younger sister has a 2011 Sonata
Her boyfriend as well 2011 Sonata
Her boyfriend's mother 2011 Santa Fe
Her boyfriend's step-father 2011 Sonata
My sister-in-law 2011 Santa Fe
My Father had a 2010 Genesis Sedan but traded it in for a 2011 Black Equus (I love that thing) My father-in-law owns an S550 and honestly a few things here and there are different but not to justify the additional 35-40 grand... for example - Passenger Seat Massage, ceiling mirrors for the back seat, adaptive body bolsters, automatic adjustable rear headrest, not much else, maybe a decibel louder for road noise (hell I can hear more road noise from my office compared to the Equus). 0-60 times aren't drastically different besides they are cruisers anyways.

I own an S2000 and have been thinking about getting a GC for my daily driver, just waiting on the new version with the upgraded interior or the FR-S/BRZ, may need more power though for me.

2004 Honda S2000

Last edited by slusoccer00; 09-02-2011 at 09:08 AM.
slusoccer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #126
Type[R]+

Drives: Lexus IS-F
Quote:
lol! I feel the same! You either got to be gay or a girl to drive a miata!
Type[R]+ is offline   Reply With Quote