follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-19-2017, 06:23 PM   #15
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shr133 View Post
I zero out the advance map and just run the base ignition map at the timing I want so I always have the timing I want. I want the same power at all times I don't need the ecu to learn for me. I also run the the most timing I can without knock corrections so I make the most and safest power on pump gas. I also bumped up my knock correction, so if I get knock I don't break anything, but my timing is perfect so it's more of a fail safe for bad gas.
I am far from an expert. Just some suggestion for what it's worth.

In my experience, if you don't have any signs of knock correction under any circumstances, you are leaving a lot of power behind.

There are so many different scenarios where knock correction may or may not be present (gear, temperature of internals, atmospheric conditions etc.). Personally I have my timing set high enough that I in certain scenarios have knock correction intentionally. That might e.g. be in 4th gear and/or if the engine gets really hot. That means that max timing is available in lower gears and/or when the engine is running cool (street driven). If the engine runs in higher gears or hot (track), I let the ECU pull timing within reason (max -2 deg FLKC target).

I frankly don't get the point of putting all timing in Base Timing B, instead of splitting it up in the two tables and let the ECU have all available knock correction strategies available?

If you don't like the stock split between BTB and KCMA, you can instead simplify it and make it fixed values for each load column in KCMA (i.e. the way Wayno did it in his tunes). That makes BTB easier to look at if you are using RomRaider. Or you can copy the values out into an excell sheet and add them up to see total timing there. Or copy the added values back into a "look only tune".
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tor For This Useful Post:
steve99 (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 02:30 AM   #16
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Agree, i dont see the point in intensionally disabling a safety measure for no gain.

When iam drops it can not only be isec to reduce riming but it can also add fuel to surpress Knock
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote