follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #1
Agent_D

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wideband for logging in rear o2 position

I'm in the middle of getting some tuning done and I need to get a reading through the stock rear o2 sensor plug for ECUTek logging. I have a Zeitronix ZT-3 wideband setup plugged into the rear bung and I'm wondering if anyone can give me a bit of info. Running a catless header, and the tuner already set the rear o2 for logging the wideband.

If I'm looking at things correctly, I should be able to get separate power to the ZT-3 from +12v and a ground. The white wire on the data logger will send a wideband signal out. If I connected this white wire to the input for the stock rear o2, would this give me the readings I need for logging? I feel like it should work, but I'm not experienced enough with these things to know for sure.

Any information is extremely appreciated.

TIA!
Agent_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #2
Agent_D

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Spent quite a bit of time with electric diagrams yesterday.

I'm using a Zeitronix ZT-3 wideband with just the data logger portion. It has a 6 prong plug that the wideband plugs into, a data logging rj11 port anda a plug that includes 4 wires, red/black/white/purple. Red = 12v, Black = ground, White = wideband signal out, Purple = programmable simulated narrowband out.

For anyone that needs this information in the future: (Note 1: This is on a 2013 BRZ Limited, wire color(s) may differ on FRS/86 or newer models) (Note 2: I am not installing this as a permanent fixture, so I did a temporary wiring solution)
I installed the wideband in the rear o2 sensor position on my catless header and the tuner set up the ECUTek custom map for logging from that sensor. I plugged in the Zeitronix wideband cable and ran it into the cabin through the firewall and plugged that into the proper 6 pin port for the wideband. I took the 4 prong harness that came with it, hooked up the red to a connector a quick connect that I use the positive battery terminal for power, hooked black to a chassis ground. The important wire for logging to ECUTek is the WHITE wideband out wire. Since this was being used to log the rear o2, and needed to be read by the ECUTek logging capability, it had to be connected to the rear o2 plug on the wiring harness to get that input to read. The wire on the rear o2 plug that receives this information is the bottom left as you are looking at the open face of the plug or the BLUE wire on that plug; once that was plugged in it read the wideband data through the custom mapped logging parameter as intended.

Please make sure you read the notes I posted. I was unable to find this information anywhere, so I felt like I'd post my experience to try and help someone in the future. Always make sure that you do some research before blindly following directions, as things can differ from car to car, year to year, model to model.
Agent_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:11 PM   #3
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The other option is to just resacle the front 02 sensor its makes a pretty reasnoble wideband and can read well down to about 10 afr.

then you always have that reading available in logs and dont need to wire in special input/custom maps.

The 2017 ecu calibration does this

for older calibrations
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82875
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Agent_D (09-20-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 12:36 AM   #4
BuffDriver

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
@steve99

Was talking to a guy at the track today and he has a catless header and he was wanting to weld bungs on either side of the midpipe cat and relocate / extend the O2 sensor wires. I would think this would work? Yes/No

I told him I would check n get back to him.

I wonder if anyone makes an extension jumper with the right male n female plugs for this?
Edelbrock SC kit w/ ECUtek tune, Oil Cooler, UEL catted header, Perrin 2.5 Overpipe n Catted midpipe, 3.0 Catback resonated (all exhst ceramic coated), TRD short shifter, MTEC clutch n trans springs, Trans: Pentosin MTF2, Diff: Motul 75W90, Whiteline trans bushing, 3/4" clutch slave cyl., Ferodo DS2500 pads w/Motul 600 fluid, 17x8 wheels n 235/45ZR-17 tires
BuffDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:02 AM   #5
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffDriver View Post
@steve99

Was talking to a guy at the track today and he has a catless header and he was wanting to weld bungs on either side of the midpipe cat and relocate / extend the O2 sensor wires. I would think this would work? Yes/No

I told him I would check n get back to him.

I wonder if anyone makes an extension jumper with the right male n female plugs for this?

Is he trying to stop cel code P0420 or put in a wideband ?

Easiest option will be to get a tactrix and disable P0420 and/or rescale the stock o2 sensor and flash a tune to car at same time.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:06 PM   #6
BuffDriver

Actually I think his car is all stock except for the header and he just said he wanted to have the O2 sensors work for his remaining cat. {looked all stock when his hood was open to cool everything down}

He did not mention any code problems. I think he just wants it to 'work' / be monitored because right now there is nothing hooked up.

I however will be installing the new header n Phantom SC soon and will have to be using the O2 for that but the stock one should be within range as you told me earlier.
Edelbrock SC kit w/ ECUtek tune, Oil Cooler, UEL catted header, Perrin 2.5 Overpipe n Catted midpipe, 3.0 Catback resonated (all exhst ceramic coated), TRD short shifter, MTEC clutch n trans springs, Trans: Pentosin MTF2, Diff: Motul 75W90, Whiteline trans bushing, 3/4" clutch slave cyl., Ferodo DS2500 pads w/Motul 600 fluid, 17x8 wheels n 235/45ZR-17 tires
Old 10-02-2017, 04:14 PM   #7
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
BuffDriver: Apexi cylinderback exhaust sys has such sensor relocation extender harness. No clue where to get it separately. But still, imho it makes little sense to stay on stock tune, and if it's customised ecu tune, then much simpler to disable P0420 in tune.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
BuffDriver (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 01:12 AM   #8
BuffDriver

Yah, I told him he needed a tune but he does not want to... told him the header was not going to give him much with a stock tune but he just not think that was right, to him it would. I will pass on the extender info, thanks
Old 10-17-2017, 12:51 AM   #9
gishpatrick

Drives: Hyperblue Brz
Did you figure this out? I'm looking to do the same thing ):

I found this thread, but many of the images are gone. Maybe you will make more sense of it than me.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57902
gishpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote