follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-14-2015, 10:36 AM   #29
MemphisR
Memphis

Drives: 1989 MR2 S/C, 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesign View Post
According to the guy who made the harness, you're not supposed to run it with the DRL module, so I took the DRL module out. I think the harness makes the LED strip run off the parking lights instead.

I am not sure if he makes a 6-pin to 6-pin harness.
So you didn't actually wire into anything then? You just plugged in the harness and removed the module?

Thanks for your help by the way.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #30
m.box.design

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Thanked 1,662 Times in 933 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisR View Post
So you didn't actually wire into anything then? You just plugged in the harness and removed the module?

Thanks for your help by the way.
Correct. Thus there is no more drl functionality, so the led strip only comes on with parking lights or with the first tick of the light stalk
m.box.design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:51 AM   #31
iamjapanman

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
@indesign

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but how much did you buy the harness for from DeOppressorLiber?
I was considering making them myself, but the connectors, terminals, seals are really expensive... (almost $200 after shipping)
iamjapanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:25 PM   #32
Brayden_23

Drives: Asphalt 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry for the necro....

Anybody know how to pin the 6-pin harness to retain DRL functionality? I think the LED DRLs are a little to bright to be on at night when my headlights are on and I don't want to be blinding everyone. Would like my headlights to function as follows:

Switch off, Handbrake up: All off
Switch off, Handbrake down: LED DRL on
Parking lights on (1 click up): LED DRL on, sidemarkers on, turn signal/running lights on
Lights on (2nd click): Headlights on, LED DRL off, sidemarkers on, turn signal/running lights on

If anyone knows how to do this, I would appreciate the advice!
Brayden_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:19 PM   #33
tazz786

Drives: 2015 scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
where can i buy one of these? will it work with a Spec D headlight? i need a connector that attaches from the high beam connector on the stock harness to the connector on the Spec D headlights. I am using an HID kit.
tazz786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:10 PM   #34
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone have the part number or the type of connector needed for this adapter? Also the type of pin terminals for the connectors?

Please confirm the part numbers below...
male 6-pin connector (Part# 90980-11193 https://www.toyotaparts.metro-toyota...980-11193.html)
female 8-pin connector (Part# 90980-10897 https://www.toyotaparts.metro-toyota...980-10897.html)

Last edited by iLuveKetchup; 11-20-2017 at 09:33 PM. Reason: found some part #s
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #35
cfordart

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
This is a great timed question as I have just bought a set of Euro GT86 headlights for my FRS and need to make an adapter harness (6 pin to 8 pin) for each of them.

Am I reading in the link to the parts correctly that a single terminal wire is $15.90? And I'd need 14 (8+6) of them for each harness? Wow that's pricey!

Hope someone can confirm your questions!

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone have the part number or the type of connector needed for this adapter? Also the type of pin terminals for the connectors?

Please confirm the part numbers below...
male 6-pin connector (Part# 90980-11193 https://www.toyotaparts.metro-toyota...980-11193.html)
female 8-pin connector (Part# 90980-10897 https://www.toyotaparts.metro-toyota...980-10897.html)

cfordart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #36
Trojan_SC

Drives: '14 Monogram FR-S(RIP)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfordart View Post
This is a great timed question as I have just bought a set of Euro GT86 headlights for my FRS and need to make an adapter harness (6 pin to 8 pin) for each of them.

Am I reading in the link to the parts correctly that a single terminal wire is $15.90? And I'd need 14 (8+6) of them for each harness? Wow that's pricey!

Hope someone can confirm your questions!

Chris
NO WAY you need 14 anything. I had Euros on my base FR-S. All you need to do is Re-pin the headlight into a 6-pin connector properly (leaving the DRL wireout. GT86 headlights have 7 wires/pins versus base model with 6 wires/pins. Once you properly re-pin the lights to work with the 6-pin harness, you just have to create 2 single-pin connectors for the DRL wires. connect to headlight DRL pins, then the other end needs to tap into the stock DRL power wire (near the DRL resistor) discard OEM resistor.
Trojan_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:56 PM   #37
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan_SC View Post
NO WAY you need 14 anything. I had Euros on my base FR-S. All you need to do is Re-pin the headlight into a 6-pin connector properly (leaving the DRL wireout. GT86 headlights have 7 wires/pins versus base model with 6 wires/pins. Once you properly re-pin the lights to work with the 6-pin harness, you just have to create 2 single-pin connectors for the DRL wires. connect to headlight DRL pins, then the other end needs to tap into the stock DRL power wire (near the DRL resistor) discard OEM resistor.
Yes this is if you are NOT making an adapter and re-pinning. I’m sure terminals can be found in Digi-Key online for cheap. Just need to know which terminal to use.

But.. I’ve ordered the connectors and think I’ll change to 8 pin connector because of more wire slack to use just in case I F up. (re-pin 6 connector end to 8)
Old 11-21-2017, 02:20 PM   #38
7c8

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes this is if you are NOT making an adapter and re-pinning. I’m sure terminals can be found in Digi-Key online for cheap. Just need to know which terminal to use.

But.. I’ve ordered the connectors and think I’ll change to 8 pin connector because of more wire slack to use just in case I F up. (re-pin 6 connector end to 8)
I can make you a plug-and-play* 6 to 8 pin harness. I recently made one for a friend, and am making another one for another. You are using the monogram/JDM headlights, right?

If so, do know that with the way it is wired, the DRL in non-parking mode will be dimmer than it should be due to how the FR-S is set up to run its DRL/high beam.

* mostly plug and play, there will be one wire you need to splice into the high-side of the DRL resistor line to provide a DRL signal.

PM if interested!
7c8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 7c8 For This Useful Post:
Draco_PR23 (11-22-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 02:56 PM   #39
cfordart

Thanks for this! I'm just trying to figure out if I need another connector for each headlight or if I canibilize a connector that's already on my frs lights.

So are you saying you pulled the pins out of the 8pin connector on the GT86 headlight and then pushed those pins into the 6pin socket that's mounted on your frs headlight? If so, is it the socket attached to the frs headlight...the one your frs headlight harness connector plugs into?

I hate to cut wires on almost 2 grand worth of headlights if I don't have to, you know?

An 8pin and a 6pin connector with pigtails would be great for me in this situation, but I haven't found any that I know would properly plug into what I've got.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan_SC View Post
Old 11-27-2017, 03:43 PM   #40
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Can someone double check the connector repin below is correct? I'm not exactly the sharpest tool in the Crayola box. I don't want to mess this up and spill headlight fluid all over the front end.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:25 PM   #41
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Just to add.. followed some instructions from Bookface and my connectors aren't matching up on the documentation. Can some send me a link to the US OEM FR-S (base) and OEM FR-S (Monogram) pin layout?

'14 FR-S Base headlight connector

'14 FR-S Monogram headlight connector
Old 11-30-2017, 12:14 AM   #42
cfordart

Quote:
Just to add.. followed some instructions from Bookface and my connectors aren't matching up on the documentation. Can some send me a link to the US OEM FR-S (base) and OEM FR-S (Monogram) pin layout?

Found this in a thread, don't know if it's accurate or not...

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...98&postcount=6

Good luck with it!