follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 11-03-2016, 02:54 PM   #1
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Boost?

I've talked to some of you guys in person but i wanted to see who else i could talk to.

Some questions i have:

I'm thinking of boosting and my goal is eventually 300 whp. i dont mind building up to that point.

1. For those of ou who are boosted, how do you deal with SMOG?
2. Do you have a CARB legal kit/tune, if so what kind of power are you making
3. How long have you had the kit and how reliable has it been?
4. Where does most of your power reside? Low RPM band or High?
5. If i see you at a meet can i drive your car for a tad to get a feel?
6. Thanks for all the help.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #2
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
You can start by reading the results from this thread...

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109320

I do think reaching 300whp will be difficult while remaining 100% smog legal.

I have the JRSC CARB legal setup and made about 230ish ... to make more than that you will need to remove cats, change exhaust components, probably run E85 and use bigger injectors and fuel pump.

** Caution, do not discuss ways of illegally circumventing smog requirements on this forum. This could subject you to ban or suspension. **
Old 11-03-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMok View Post
You can start by reading the results from this thread...

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109320

I do think reaching 300whp will be difficult while remaining 100% smog legal.

I have the JRSC CARB legal setup and made about 230ish ... to make more than that you will need to remove cats, change exhaust components, probably run E85 and use bigger injectors and fuel pump.

** Caution, do not discuss ways of illegally circumventing smog requirements on this forum. This could subject you to ban or suspension. **
Yeah i'm not interested in trying to do something like that. I want to actually try to be smog legal as much as i can.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Old 11-03-2016, 10:32 PM   #4
Shaun Perry

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Boost?

SBD turbo kit V2 / 20g turbine
Tuned at about 10 PSI by Shiv at Openflash Performance, also using their flex fuel kit.

I should be estimating low 310-320 to the wheel? I remember Shiv was hitting 340's with a full tank of E85 at 12 psi when he was testing/tuning his own car.

1. I drive a 13, my smog will be due in 2019. I'll cross that bridge when I get there, or the vehicle may be put back to stock and sold before I get there, we shall see.

2. This kit isn't carb legal

3. I went turbo at about 45k miles, my odometer is at 79k now so that's about 34k miles boosted. About 2 years or so. It is my daily driver, and I do drive it all around the Bay Area with the occasional back road/mountain driving. Car has never given me issues other than small issues caused by myself or easy maintenance up keep like replacing gaskets, small oil line leaks that needed attention, upgrading lines/fittings/hardware, etc. Also, Neal at The Racer's Line did a compression test on my engine 3-4 months ago. Injecting 100 PSI into Cylinders 1-4, all hit about 97-99%. About 2-3 PSI from each other which Neal had told me is perfectly healthy for the boxer engine, he was also surprised that it was that healthy being my mileage and tenure of running the turbo.

4. Boost starts to very noticeably hit around 3200-3400. Carries through pretty long in my opinion Peak boost probably around mid to high 5k. But overall response anywhere on the rpm gauge is much more than stock from what I remember.

5. I barely make the Dublin meet/greets anymore but if you do catch me there I denno about driving it but you're welcome to take a drive with me.

6. You're welcome.
SBD Turbo V2 | OFT Flexfuel Kit; Tuned by Shiv @10psi | Nameless 2.5in. 1-piece OP/FP | Full Custom Center Exit/SS dual tip cat-back exhaust | KateCOOL Oil Cooler | Mishimoto T-Stat sandwhich plate | ACT XT Street Clutch Kit; 10.5lb flywheel | RSR Black-i Coilovers | Rota Torque 17x9 +30 | Bayson R front lip/side skirts/rear spats and rear windshield visor
Shaun Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shaun Perry For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (12-16-2016), Xxyion (11-04-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 11:01 PM   #5
StayPuft209

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Same here. Not boosted but when the time comes I've been thinking of the JRSC C38 kit or SBD turbo kit
StayPuft209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:08 AM   #6
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Perry View Post
SBD turbo kit V2 / 20g turbine
Tuned at about 10 PSI by Shiv at Openflash Performance, also using their flex fuel kit.

I should be estimating low 310-320 to the wheel? I remember Shiv was hitting 340's with a full tank of E85 at 12 psi when he was testing/tuning his own car.

1. I drive a 13, my smog will be due in 2019. I'll cross that bridge when I get there, or the vehicle may be put back to stock and sold before I get there, we shall see.

2. This kit isn't carb legal

3. I went turbo at about 45k miles, my odometer is at 79k now so that's about 34k miles boosted. About 2 years or so. It is my daily driver, and I do drive it all around the Bay Area with the occasional back road/mountain driving. Car has never given me issues other than small issues caused by myself or easy maintenance up keep like replacing gaskets, small oil line leaks that needed attention, upgrading lines/fittings/hardware, etc. Also, Neal at The Racer's Line did a compression test on my engine 3-4 months ago. Injecting 100 PSI into Cylinders 1-4, all hit about 97-99%. About 2-3 PSI from each other which Neal had told me is perfectly healthy for the boxer engine, he was also surprised that it was that healthy being my mileage and tenure of running the turbo.

4. Boost starts to very noticeably hit around 3200-3400. Carries through pretty long in my opinion Peak boost probably around mid to high 5k. But overall response anywhere on the rpm gauge is much more than stock from what I remember.

5. I barely make the Dublin meet/greets anymore but if you do catch me there I denno about driving it but you're welcome to take a drive with me.

6. You're welcome.

I really appreciate your response. This kit sounds basically perfect (except for the CARB issue) in everything from response, power and lifetime. Maybe theres a chance that Shiv will create a CARB tune for this kit in that time and you will get to keep it? =P here's hoping.

I would love to take a ride in the car if i catch you. I really appreciate it.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:22 AM   #7
Shaun Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
I really appreciate your response. This kit sounds basically perfect (except for the CARB issue) in everything from response, power and lifetime. Maybe theres a chance that Shiv will create a CARB tune for this kit in that time and you will get to keep it? =P here's hoping.

I would love to take a ride in the car if i catch you. I really appreciate it.

No problem. However, the tune being carb legal or not is the issue.

As the smog tests now are just plugging into your OBD for the newer cars. My car will pass that as I do not have any CEL codes(or so I'm told)

However, if the smog shop of choice decides to look under the hood, which they usually do, and recognize that a scion doesn't come with a turbo from the factory, they can immediately fail me for the "visual test" which renders the whole smog test useless.

As I've found in my research, that is the challenge I face.
SBD Turbo V2 | OFT Flexfuel Kit; Tuned by Shiv @10psi | Nameless 2.5in. 1-piece OP/FP | Full Custom Center Exit/SS dual tip cat-back exhaust | KateCOOL Oil Cooler | Mishimoto T-Stat sandwhich plate | ACT XT Street Clutch Kit; 10.5lb flywheel | RSR Black-i Coilovers | Rota Torque 17x9 +30 | Bayson R front lip/side skirts/rear spats and rear windshield visor
The Following User Says Thank You to Shaun Perry For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 01:24 AM   #8
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
The SBD kit will never be CARB legal. It would need TONS of change's and it costs far to much money to send a car through CARB testing. The tune is just a small part of the puzzle.

The tune of course, has a lot to do with how the engine runs, but can not be seen by anyone doing the smog. They just have to assume the tune is CARB legal. Also, smog now a days, does not require the car to be "sniffed". They only plug into the OBD port and check readiness monitors and visually look at the car(this is the main reason most mods won't pass). The problem with this ECU is no one has figured out how to make all the readiness monitors set, without actually having the the systems in place. Hence why you still need a catted exhaust system to have the o2 sensor monitors set. The WORKs turbo is CARB legal because it keeps both cats in the system and all of the readiness monitors set.

CARB Kits:
WORKS Turbo
Vortech SC
Jackson Racing SC
Edelbrock SC
(coming very soon) Harrop SC
The Racers Line is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Racers Line For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 01:25 AM   #9
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Perry View Post
No problem. However, the tune being carb legal or not is the issue.

As the smog tests now are just plugging into your OBD for the newer cars. My car will pass that as I do not have any CEL codes(or so I'm told)

However, if the smog shop of choice decides to look under the hood, which they usually do, and recognize that a scion doesn't come with a turbo from the factory, they can immediately fail me for the "visual test" which renders the whole smog test useless.

As I've found in my research, that is the challenge I face.
Damn you were 2 mins faster! lol

Your car still won't pass, since your rear o2 monitor will never set. The CEL is just turned off.
The Racers Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:27 AM   #10
Shaun Perry

Yeah there we go, what he said lol.

I'm waiting for Neal to also open a corner in his shop for smog.

Maybe for Christmas? 🙄
Old 11-04-2016, 01:29 AM   #11
Shaun Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Racers Line View Post
Damn you were 2 mins faster! lol

Your car still won't pass, since your rear o2 monitor will never set. The CEL is just turned off.

I realize that now after I read your response.

I was like wait...ahh whatever screw it lol
Old 11-04-2016, 01:39 AM   #12
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
I've talked to some of you guys in person but i wanted to see who else i could talk to.

Some questions i have:

I'm thinking of boosting and my goal is eventually 300 whp. i dont mind building up to that point.

1. For those of ou who are boosted, how do you deal with SMOG?
2. Do you have a CARB legal kit/tune, if so what kind of power are you making
3. How long have you had the kit and how reliable has it been?
4. Where does most of your power reside? Low RPM band or High?
5. If i see you at a meet can i drive your car for a tad to get a feel?
6. Thanks for all the help.
Noticed you've been posting a lot in the Edelbrock thread, so I'll frame it that way.

1. CARB legal Edelbrock kit w/ Delicious tune, stock headers, etc. Will flash back to CARB when the time comes.
2. See above. Check out post #15 on the link Pmok posted for results
3. Have had if for more than a year now, about 15k mi. No problems what so ever.
4. Mid range, approx 3.5k-6k rpm
5. I met you at the end of summer meet but didn't mention my SC. You would have been more than welcome to drive it. Unfortunately, I have since moved to Sac, so probably won't be making very many bay area meets.
6. You are welcome!
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:44 AM   #13
StayPuft209

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Noticed you've been posting a lot in the Edelbrock thread, so I'll frame it that way.

1. CARB legal Edelbrock kit w/ Delicious tune, stock headers, etc. Will flash back to CARB when the time comes.
2. See above. Check out post #15 on the link Pmok posted for results
3. Have had if for more than a year now, about 15k mi. No problems what so ever.
4. Mid range, approx 3.5k-6k rpm
5. I met you at the end of summer meet but didn't mention my SC. You would have been more than welcome to drive it. Unfortunately, I have since moved to Sac, so probably won't be making very many bay area meets.
6. You are welcome!
Shawn is that you lol
Old 11-04-2016, 01:48 AM   #14
StayPuft209

What I'm curious about, is what do people think of the SBD turbo kit? It seems like a really affordable option with ease of tuning since it can be tuned with OFT. But I've read about people saying it's a cheap knock off of the Greddy turbo or that you have to modify your front crash bar, etc. like is it really a plug and play installation or does it require cutting?