follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 11-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #15
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
same whp and equal width (and tread compound) tires the FRS will win. Why? Power to weight ratio. The evo is a 3400lb + car. I have owned, modified, tuned, and tracked a couple (evo 8, evo X, ralliart sportback with evo 10 turbo swap) of them as have most of my car buddies.

Now if your talking same power to weight ratio, it will probably come down to the track and the driver.

My VIII was proably the best of the bunch on track, but that is because I was running kw V3's, r-compound tires, stg2 transfer case with front lsd, 350whp on a dynodynamics etc.

With just a set of 225 AD08's the FRS is more fun on the track, but certainly not faster. WIth a good set of consumer level coil overs (eibach multipro r2 / kw v3 / RCE tarmac II, etc) and r compound tires, the FRS would handle better than the VIII. With a good FI kit and around 275whp I think it would be a good bit faster around the track in the hands of a good driver (less margin for error in the frs i think).
Old 11-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #16
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzario View Post
Are you fucking serious? The Evo would STILL have AWD. I don't care what happens when you guys play Forza. The Mitsubishi wins. You're all so out of touch with reality. I just can't fathom how anyone here functions in real, everyday life.

EDIT: Just read the whole thread. No one mentions the Evo's AWD. I can't even believe I'm posting in here. Fuck.

awd will not over come the power to weight ratio difference man. Unless your track is made of mud, gravel, snow, and ice, which most around here in so cal are not I have owned and tracked both cars, see above post.

300whp:
FRS - 2800lbs/300whp = 9.3 lb/whp
Evo - 3400lbs/300whp = 11.3lb/whp
Old 11-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #17
Mr_YUzU_FRS

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS RS 1.0
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thx mad_sb!
That was what i said to my friend who owns the EvO. Don't get me wrong the Mitsu Evo 9 is one of my favorite cars. I was telling him about the power to weight ratio and lower center of gravity of the FRS. If it was to have the same power as the Evo + sticky tires I think the FRS has a chance at this.

Dizzaro... I think everyone here knows the Evo is AWD. LoL, and we know it is a beast on the track. Why would we even have this discussion? Why not?

I think in reality, an FRS with equal power to an Evo and comparing track performance of both will not be a dumb discussion. I have driven my friends Evo, I know its good. I like the base platform of the FRS and the way it feels, thats why I bought it, otherwise I would of just got an Evo or STI.
Mr_YUzU_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #18
p12

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_YUzU_FRS View Post
Your comments are not very helpful. I'm talking about if the FRS have the same whp as the evo, will it perform better on the track. And not all expensive cars come with better quality. Tell me where I can get a turbo setup for $1000?
That $1000 wasn't a real set up, it was just a theoretical figure. It was from a Z forum I thought would be relevant to the topic of car comparisons. I'm sorry if you confused that for a real set up. And of course not all of the more expensive cars will be of better quality, but it comes down to what their purpose was. A Lotus is more expensive, but it's not quite meant to be driven everyday is it?

In theory, what wouldn't be faster if all things were equal like you were saying? The FRS is inherently at least 500lbs lighter. Making a FRS the same HP will be expensive, and then comes the variable of reliability and longevity. Which route are you going to take to make more power (forced induction, tuning or engine swap)? Factor those costs in, then do you really want to deal with a modded FRS just to keep up with a stock powered Evo?

If all power and handling were the same like you want it, then it would all come down to the driver wouldn't it? I was trying to take a realistic approach to this and factor in that it wouldn't be cheap to make a FRS have the same HP as a Evo and at the cost of trying to beat a stock Evo, what did you prove? If anything, a stock Evo is a pretty good benchmark if the goal was to prove a FRS could be faster on a track.

I'd say just forget about trying to measure what's faster and just measure the amount of enjoyment you get from driving your FRS on the track. Both cars are great and put smiles on driving enthusiasts.
p12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to p12 For This Useful Post:
lightdir (11-01-2014), Tcoat (11-01-2014), unsurety (11-08-2014), WazzuGrad (11-01-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #19
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel Soup View Post
There should be more posts like @p12 just did in this thread.
There are many , many posts just like that on several threads!
And many, many more responses that try to argue them, pick one little part to focus on (Op selecting the $1000 turbo example) and dispute and people that will just flat out not believe any of it!
In this case the OP asked a question and then promptly disregarded/argued every response until he got the one he was looking for that supported what he already thought.
The original question was just plain silly in the first place and the OP was just lucky he isn't in a flaming death spiral already.
p12 (11-01-2014), Ultramaroon (11-02-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 11:16 AM   #20
Mr_YUzU_FRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by p12 View Post
That $1000 wasn't a real set up, it was just a theoretical figure. It was from a Z forum I thought would be relevant to the topic of car comparisons. I'm sorry if you confused that for a real set up. And of course not all of the more expensive cars will be of better quality, but it comes down to what their purpose was. A Lotus is more expensive, but it's not quite meant to be driven everyday is it?

In theory, what wouldn't be faster if all things were equal like you were saying? The FRS is inherently at least 500lbs lighter. Making a FRS the same HP will be expensive, and then comes the variable of reliability and longevity. Which route are you going to take to make more power (forced induction, tuning or engine swap)? Factor those costs in, then do you really want to deal with a modded FRS just to keep up with a stock powered Evo?

If all power and handling were the same like you want it, then it would all come down to the driver wouldn't it? I was trying to take a realistic approach to this and factor in that it wouldn't be cheap to make a FRS have the same HP as a Evo and at the cost of trying to beat a stock Evo, what did you prove? If anything, a stock Evo is a pretty good benchmark if the goal was to prove a FRS could be faster on a track.

I'd say just forget about trying to measure what's faster and just measure the amount of enjoyment you get from driving your FRS on the track. Both cars are great and put smiles on driving enthusiasts.
If you read the thread carefully, it's a simple question lol... I didn't post this up to argue about the price/quality/ nor complications and expense of modding an FRS to beat an EVo.

Power can be the same, but not always handling.. does power to weight ratio/center of gravity/chassis etc...mean anything to you?

This thread is not about "should I mod my FRS?" And I am being realistic here, I'm sure a 300 hp FRS would kick ass on the track, regardless of your validations. Have you driven a 300hp FRS with upgraded suspension+tires on the track? I sure haven't, that's why I post this thread. You are not helping at all with your lame comments and comparisons.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:30 AM   #21
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
If you read the thread carefully, it's a simple question lol... I didn't post this up to argue about the price/quality/ nor complications and expense of modding an FRS to beat an EVo.

Power can be the same, but not always handling.. does power to weight ratio/center of gravity/chassis etc...mean anything to you?

This thread is not about "should I mod my FRS?" And I am being realistic here, I'm sure a 300 hp FRS would kick ass on the track, regardless of your validations. Have you driven a 300hp FRS with upgraded suspension+tires on the track? I sure haven't, that's why I post this thread. You are not helping at all with your lame comments and comparisons.
Oh I am gonna have a blast watching you argue on here!
P12's answers were bang on and given in great manner.
p12 (11-01-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #22
p12

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Maybe I misunderstood something here, but how else are you going to get a FRS to same the levels of HP, suspension, and tire as an Evo without modifications?. I never said a 300HP FRS wouldn't kickass, but it doesn't exist from the factory so how else are you going get it? That's why I mentioned modifications and the potential it brings in terms of reliability and longevity. That's what I meant in taking a realistic approach. You can have these things, but it's going to cost some money to get to that point from either doing it yourself or buying it from the factory if that was a option.

Yes I understand that the FRS would have a better power/weight ratio (if it was modded) and lower center of gravity. But the FRS came out of the factory without the power/weight ratio so you need mods to get it to that level you seek. The FRS has a better chassis built on it's own platform instead of sharing one so there's no arguing that the FRS has a more dedicated chassis.

Your original question asks "Would a FRS kick the EVO's butt on the track if it has the same amount of whp and better suspension+wheel tire setup?" In a short response, sure. ~2800lbs, 300HP, low CoG, sporty suspension and sticky tires, how could it not kick a Evo's butt? A Evo has almost everything at a disadvantage at this point so how can anyone debate this now? That's why I said it's not fair to compare a stock Evo to a modded FRS. Modded FRS to modded Evo, its anyone's game depending on the budget and the goal of the car.

If that's the answer you seek, then there you go. If not, then I'll remove myself from this thread cause I don't want to get your emotions stirred up with my "lame comments and comparisons". Hopefully someone else here can give you the answer you're looking for. I just tried to point out that if you did have a FRS like that, it wouldn't be the same FRS we all know and first experienced when we first bought the car. With more power and upgraded parts, I think it would completely change the way it drives. It's original concept of a light, RWD affordable/inexpensive (affordable I'll define as under $30K USD but this is a subjective number because it differs from person to person, place to place) sports car is now in the Nissan Z class of cars and with that comes a bigger price tag. I wasn't trying to argue with you, just trying to bring up a point to consider with a lightweight, 300HP, low CoG, sporty suspension and sticky tires FRS. Sorry if I misunderstood your question OP.
p12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p12 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-01-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #23
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

You really don't need to be so hostile with your responses. P12 provided some spot on perspective that you must have misinterpreted.

Getting back to your original question, adding power can lower lap times but other modifications can yield even greater impact. I was able to cut 7 seconds on a 2 mile track without additional power. Going to a 240 HP E85 tune increased straightaway speed by 11mph but only cut 2 seconds or so from the lap times.
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #24
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
In paper the evo is way better than ft86, but youre asking
in the 86 forum so that mean 86 will win against any car if asked
in this forum. Hell anyone can beat Stig with his LFA with an ft86 at nurburgring
because ft86 is unbeatible at this forum.
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #25
swpbrz

Drives: swp brz limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This is such a simple question. Like 1 +x = 4.

frs is lighter lower cog superior balance and weight set it a cut above a lot of more expensive cars in the cornering department.

As you say it lacks power. so using the equation above and your hypothetical.. if you brought the power levels up to equal with the evo.. then yup.. 1 = 1 still.. so yea it would be superior around the track.

The evo would only beat it in a 0 to 60 run because awd.
swpbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #26
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Not talking about the potential for also modding the evo kinda ruins the discussion, honestly, considering the Evo's engine is extremely good and can make a lot of power. There are a lot of Evos out there making a lot of power and setting a lot of records (actual track records, not drag racing). They may be heavy and built off a Lancer platform, but they handle very well and have, arguably, a much better engine.
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #27
Mr_YUzU_FRS

Ty. I didn't want compare the two cars, as I know they are different cars in different class. Just wanted to know if my little FRS is capable of doing this on the track. Modding ofcourse comes with great consideration.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #28
Mr_YUzU_FRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
In paper the evo is way better than ft86, but youre asking
in the 86 forum so that mean 86 will win against any car if asked
in this forum. Hell anyone can beat Stig with his LFA with an ft86 at nurburgring
because ft86 is unbeatible at this forum.
Just asking to see if the FRS was capable of doing this, didn't say anything about it being unbeatable. Because I know and love the evos too, I'm not talking down on the evo at all.