follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-15-2020, 08:06 PM   #15
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
But the only reason it is $6K less is because it IS a 10 year old car. If it had anything more than minor upgrades in the time it has existed the price gap would have been closed by now.

Besides every time you walk up to it you have to look at those horrible horrible door handles.
Hah I had a 350z with vertical door handles and yeah it took some getting used to. Not a dealbreaker on the 370z for me, but the interior, thrashy engine, and overall heavy feel of the car would be.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-15-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #16
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Amazing how people asked for a manual and got gifted with an automatic 4 cylinder instead. I've never been one to hate on the new supra, but honestly, it's a shitshow at this point. If they had made the 4 cyl manual it'd be a reasonable proposition for a build candidate at least, but as it is, it's a really puzzling value proposition.

Again, I've never been one to ask for more power from an 86, but it seems like the performance level the 4 cylinder supra is positioned at would be better served by a cheaper, hotter 86. Lessons learned from gaming: people always like it when something gets buffed, people always hate it when something gets nerfed.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
Dake (02-16-2020), Th3rdSun (02-17-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 12:40 PM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
Amazing how people asked for a manual and got gifted with an automatic 4 cylinder instead. I've never been one to hate on the new supra, but honestly, it's a shitshow at this point. If they had made the 4 cyl manual it'd be a reasonable proposition for a build candidate at least, but as it is, it's a really puzzling value proposition.

Again, I've never been one to ask for more power from an 86, but it seems like the performance level the 4 cylinder supra is positioned at would be better served by a cheaper, hotter 86. Lessons learned from gaming: people always like it when something gets buffed, people always hate it when something gets nerfed.
Someday people will come to realize that the companies don't care what some teeny tiny percentage of the car buyers ask for. They will build to the majority and as sad as it may be the majority of car buyers now want ATs. It is a very good AT though.

Once again I will say that a much "hotter" version of the 86 would cost and spec in about the same as the low level Supra and that just ain't gonna' happen. Funny that the majority of people asked for a light weight NA sports car but then when they gave us one there is a number of people screaming "this isn't what we wanted".
Audio (03-18-2020), Doubletap (04-02-2020), humfrz (02-16-2020), PulsarBeeerz (03-14-2020), why? (04-03-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 01:43 PM   #18
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Eh, hotter can just mean lighter. Take another 200 pounds out of a base model and use performance pack suspension and brakes and its a screamer.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:08 PM   #19
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Someday people will come to realize that the companies don't care what some teeny tiny percentage of the car buyers ask for. They will build to the majority and as sad as it may be the majority of car buyers now want ATs. It is a very good AT though.

Once again I will say that a much "hotter" version of the 86 would cost and spec in about the same as the low level Supra and that just ain't gonna' happen. Funny that the majority of people asked for a light weight NA sports car but then when they gave us one there is a number of people screaming "this isn't what we wanted".
I know you're right, but I'd still prefer the 86 in your scenario, and it's hard to believe between two cars, one being a dedicated 2 seater and the other being a 2+2 "baby GT" car that the 2 seater would win out.

Which is really why we won't see the spec increase for the 86, just like they probably won't bring the GR Yaris over - they don't want their halo car being beat by their economy cars.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dake For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 02:54 PM   #20
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I don't work for Toyota , but I'd speculate to say that 80-90% of their time /energy goes to developing "eco" economy cars / hybrids (Prius, etc) that type /flow of vehicle. Which makes sense, as energy is energy, you have less of it as you get older, and the reality is who doesn't want their car/SUV vehicle to be more energy efficient in the grand scheme of things ??!!

Wait for the Avalon /upper end Lexus sedans to become all Hybrid and/or some kind of electric car. That will be the turn of the tides, a luxury car that is very energy efficient .... that should bring car buyers in ... buying =. game changer there. Then others will follow, Infinity , MB, Acura ... etc.
MJones_RB (02-17-2020), Tcoat (02-16-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 05:02 PM   #21
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
So I finally got to at least sit in the new Supra yesterday at the Chicago Auto Show. Have to say,not a fan at all. I'm 6'1",192-ish,and the cabin is extremely cramped for me.

Also,I have to say,the FR-S really spoiled me as far as front visibility. The way the hood drops out of sight is unlike almost every other car,and when you get into a car and see what looks like endless hood,it's kind of jarring.

Anyway,from everything I've heard,it's a great car to drive,even if it's an automatic,but to have the same car that's nerfed down to a four banger,I just don't quite understand it. Maybe they are trying to appeal to the poser crowd,or women that usually buy Porsche boxsters.
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Th3rdSun For This Useful Post:
Celica00 (02-18-2020), g e (03-14-2020), HachiRokuX (02-19-2020), MJones_RB (02-18-2020), Will BRZ (02-17-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 08:35 AM   #22
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
As stated earlier, we are the minority. They have the numbers and demographics and know who might buy what. If a cheaper version of a Supra will sell more and the best way to get there is a cheaper engine then they make money. Being the minority we have to rely on the aftermarket, which frankly has generally done a good job of giving us what we want. Sure no warranty but you gotta pay to play.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (02-19-2020)
Old 03-14-2020, 02:42 PM   #23
nashcarr

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS 247/300, 1995 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
400 more lbs. for 50 more hp. Not sure I'd make that trade.

Also the face only a mother could love. The lack of a manual option is the final nail in the coffin. Pass for me.

I keep coming back to this, but I sat in a 2020 Supra at the dealer and I like it. I wonder if they offer the manual in year 3?

If the next 86 doesn't do anything for me, I will upgrade to a 4cylinder Supra. I still have another manual car to row gears in!
nashcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:46 PM   #24
nashcarr

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS 247/300, 1995 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
What I really want to know, is what they will make with just a tune.

Exactly.
nashcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 03:25 PM   #25
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashcarr View Post
I wonder if they offer the manual in year 3?
Not likely. The Supra is just a BMW, built by BMW (actually Magna Steyr) in their plant in Graz, Austria. A manual would only be possible if BMW made one for it, and they don't seem to have any interest in designing, certifying, and manufacturing a manual transmission for the small incremental increase in sales it might offer.

I recall reading someplace Toyota saying that if you want a manual transmission, you should by a 86/BRZ. Hopefully a manual will still be offered in the next generation car. But with manuals as a percentage of total sales continuing to decline, I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota decides it's not worth it, and only offers an automatic.

That's why I recently bought my new 2019 BRZ. I only wanted a manual (and red), and didn't want to take the chance that the next gen car wouldn't have one. If it turns out to be irresistible, I'll get one. Until then, I'm having a blast with my car.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 03:56 PM   #26
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Eh, hotter can just mean lighter. Take another 200 pounds out of a base model and use performance pack suspension and brakes and its a screamer.

Couldn't you just do that yourself? When the OEM does its the price skyrockets.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:08 PM   #27
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Well, the way I see it, if I want a one piece carbon driveshaft, I paid for a useless stock steel driveshaft on top of it. If i want a backseat delete, i paid for those for nothing, if I want shocks and springs, I've got a set of useless ones under the car now that cost a good chunk of change at the factory. Same with a lighter Ti catback.

Not having parts duplication is always cheaper, the question would be, what kind of markup would that added performance warrant? I'd wager paying for the upcharge would beat the price to do it after the fact.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:23 PM   #28
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, the way I see it, if I want a one piece carbon driveshaft, I paid for a useless stock steel driveshaft on top of it. If i want a backseat delete, i paid for those for nothing, if I want shocks and springs, I've got a set of useless ones under the car now that cost a good chunk of change at the factory. Same with a lighter Ti catback.

Not having parts duplication is always cheaper, the question would be, what kind of markup would that added performance warrant? I'd wager paying for the upcharge would beat the price to do it after the fact.

That is an interesting perspective looking at the ~30-40% upcharge for lighter versions of current offerings from Subaru, Lexus, Nissan and Porsche.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PulsarBeeerz For This Useful Post:
why? (04-03-2020)