follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 03-30-2013, 05:04 AM   #113
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNate View Post
The actual dimensions are smaller than the current Impreza. Saw it either here or on NASIOC. It's wider though.

Everything I've read says it should be lighter than the present model due to the switch to the 2.0L engine and other weight saving tricks to help it be more eco friendly.

Cheers
Nathan
I'm thinking it may lose some width and maybe gain some height from the concept figures coming to production because the fenders will probably be toned down a bit, and it could be raised a bit. Although WoW's rather sexy de-concepting makes ground clearance look ok by removing the skirts/lip, so height could stay the same.

As for weight, I really hope it mirrors what the base Impreza did by coming in a nice bit lighter than the old model.

This WRX is really growing on me.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
Giccin (04-06-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 06:10 AM   #114
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
Consider this everyone, The concept shown on pictures looks big for several reasons.
1. It has a bodykit on it,
2. its on 20' wheels

-The new WRX is actually SMALLER than the current generation Impreza WRX, even though its also wider.

-I spot 30 different styling cues that have carried over from the previous model. Including Front bumper, Fenders, 1/4 Panel, Body Line, and hoodline. So if you believe it looks totally different and a complete overhaul, it really doesn't look all that different side by side.

Heres a PS of what the car could look like if it didnt have sideskirts, and a large front bumper overhang. Also with door handles, side mirrors, and headlamps.

I would expect the basic shape of the car to make it into production with the changes you listed plus the rear tail lights, tailpipes and diffuser getting tamed down. Maybe the front fender losing the rear venting. It would make for a nice looking car.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #115
supragoods

Drives: Ravenfire
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...70014774_n.jpg

looks like these two had some kind of fusion (hmph as if there power levels were same)
supragoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #116
Motowalt
Waiting for Pearl Yellow

Drives: 76 GL1000 Cafe Resto Mod
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-17 View Post

I like it... I like it ALOT!

We'll be ready to replace the wife's 200,000 mile trouble-free Acura TSX within the next year or so and she wants another 4 door...(hopefully she'd let me drive it ).

It'd have to be available in a nice white pearl (her favorite) or red (my preference) instead of the Subaru blue.

Gas mileage is a MAJOR concern though...with prices approaching $5/gal now, figure $6/gal by the time the car is released and maybe $8 or $9/gal during the life of the car...and it would be our daily driver...

Don't have any use for AWD...my sister has the current model and while she loves it, it is a real gas guzzler...our TSX regularly gets 33 mpg highway and we really want something that gets at least 40 mpg for our next car.

If it is a hybrid, hopefully it would be natural gas and gasoline...I think that is the wave of the future...we would never have an electric car....

Motowalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Motowalt For This Useful Post:
M-17 (04-01-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #117
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
I would expect the basic shape of the car to make it into production with the changes you listed plus the rear tail lights, tailpipes and diffuser getting tamed down. Maybe the front fender losing the rear venting. It would make for a nice looking car.
I think it will have at least the roof line of the current Impreza, if not more. Tom Doll mentioned that it will "only" share a few body panels with the current Impreza. For it to share even one panel, it must be built on the same frame.

Quote:
“They share some (panels) but we are trying to create, as you can tell by this car here, its own style and its own definition as opposed to taking it from the Impreza model and saying it is just based off the Impreza.”
Maybe they'll surprise us and keep it close to the concept design, but I'm not holding my breath.

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #118
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Remind me again why this is in the BRZ subforum and not "other cars"?

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbowned For This Useful Post:
Dimman (03-30-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #119
Zgrinch

Drives: 2013 Limited DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceywilly View Post
Maybe they'll surprise us and keep it close to the concept design, but I'm not holding my breath.
Really wish they would step out the box and just give us the concept exactly.
I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

BRZGrincherhood
Zgrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zgrinch For This Useful Post:
M-17 (03-31-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #120
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Remind me again why this is in the BRZ subforum and not "other cars"?
Pretty sure it was in Other Vehicles when I posted yesterday.

A trap to lure me into General?

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #121
Bones36

Drives: 13 Brz Jrsc
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I want that third brake light/antenna!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Y

Bones36 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bones36 For This Useful Post:
adprokid (04-07-2013), meWant (04-01-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 09:32 PM   #122
mrdanyo

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited (World Rally Blue)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've been saving up for a while now and the plan was the pick up a WRB BRZ by years end, but the WRX concept really threw a wrench in my plans.

Depending on how it's priced and how true the production model remains to this concept... I may end up with a WRX instead.

The BRZ will also probably be more affordable when the WRX comes out, while the WRX might be priced out of my range (if they increase the price now that it's a standalone line). But the WRX has AWD, and living in Canada and having over 40cm of snow this year... that might be the dealbreaker.

WE'LL SEE.

Last edited by mrdanyo; 03-31-2013 at 10:54 PM.
mrdanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdanyo For This Useful Post:
M-17 (03-31-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #123
gily25

Drives: Silica BRZ 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motowalt View Post
I like it... I like it ALOT!

We'll be ready to replace the wife's 200,000 mile trouble-free Acura TSX within the next year or so and she wants another 4 door...(hopefully she'd let me drive it ).
Funny you should say that because after seeing it in person at the NY show its dimensions seem very similar to an Acura. Low...wide...long... As an earlier post mentioned, it's not exactly a rally car so I'm sure it won't come to production that way...I wonder if this is some attempt by Subaru to introduce a luxury model because in black with a few satin highlights and a decent interior it'd be a nice DD.

I'd like those mirrors for the BRZ...
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #124
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motowalt View Post

Gas mileage is a MAJOR concern though...with prices approaching $5/gal now, figure $6/gal by the time the car is released and maybe $8 or $9/gal during the life of the car...and it would be our daily driver...

Don't have any use for AWD...my sister has the current model and while she loves it, it is a real gas guzzler...our TSX regularly gets 33 mpg highway and we really want something that gets at least 40 mpg for our next car.

If it is a hybrid, hopefully it would be natural gas and gasoline...I think that is the wave of the future...we would never have an electric car....

I think we still have a while before gas gets that high. People keep saying gas will skyrocket but all it's been doing is going up during the holidays and summer and coming back down in between. Gas has been sitting at mid $3/gallon here. Every state is different but I think we still have another few years before every state starts seeing constant $4/gallon prices year round.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #125
Shevon

Drives: Accord Coupe
I like everything about this concept except the yellow or green whatever it is, must say though this will make pulling the plug and getting a brz now very difficult, smh more waiting
Old 04-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #126
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximumunicorn View Post
Honestly, this is the most realistic picture that I've seen so far. And by realistic I mean "possibly like a production model," not "wow, this is definitely not photoshopped!"

It's over on this thread at iwsti:
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/subaru-n...-included.html

I understand that each of these rumors has to be taken with a grain of salt, but the "Car and Driver" one seems to be the most realistic. It's not that I don't like the WRB concept in this thread, but it seems like too much of a departure from the current design.

And yes, it's a hatchback.
Now the debate on which car to get begins. I'm really liking that look. Really really liking it. I love all these lines but really am starting to hate all these more rounder cars. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
hahaha actually I'm a big fan of the current impreza, seeing that i would already have a BRZ or FRS, there's no need for another performance car, so I wouldn't buy the WRX. But I hope it comes out looking nice for those that do want it.

I'm sure this is alot of the mentality BRZ owners will have on the subject of a WRX, I can see many people owning both, but most will own one or the other.
I love the current look of the impreza! It just looks so right to me. lol

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote