follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-06-2012, 04:18 AM   #1
suzuka

Drives: 7th Gen Accord
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So what non-OEM tires have been tried so far on BRZ/FRS?

I'd like to see reviews or hear from other people here
suzuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:27 AM   #2
Pistol Pete

Drives: Focus RS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Will the Toyobaru ever get rid of the stigma of the Prius tyres? Although I'm seriously considering the car, if anything screams "low power and low torque" it's the prius tyres. I mean how much fun can you have in a car with bigger and/or grippier tyres? That's no fun at all, but the OP has a point though, the OEM tyres are uncool! It seems to be a conundrum, change the tyres and lose the fun factor or keep them and look like a joke, the butt of every Focus RS and Megane RS owner. What does one do?
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:45 AM   #3
suzuka

oh look me what I found... and is the reason I started this question

It would be nice if someone can find the link for the full episode. These cars look aftermarket-ready... and i'd like to know the tires they're using

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csWi_OPIKvI"]Best Motor TV TOYOTA 86 vs TRD 86 vs HKS 86 ƒƒƒƒ‹ƒ‚の可ƒ€! œŸ‹œ*‚ - YouTube[/ame]
Old 05-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #4
Fly Guy

Drives: '91 MR2
^ Take a look at these two threads.
Not the whole episode, but a fun watch!

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5462
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5693
Old 05-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
miata

Drives: 2006 Miata 5 spd
So miatas are no fun with sticky 235/35/17 tires?
Toyota is providing Prius tires to boost tire industry because a lot of people will be buying new sticky tires for summer driving.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
suzuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Guy View Post
^ Take a look at these two threads.
Not the whole episode, but a fun watch!

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5462
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5693
those youtube clips are dead
Old 05-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
Will the Toyobaru ever get rid of the stigma of the Prius tyres? Although I'm seriously considering the car, if anything screams "low power and low torque" it's the prius tyres. I mean how much fun can you have in a car with bigger and/or grippier tyres? That's no fun at all, but the OP has a point though, the OEM tyres are uncool! It seems to be a conundrum, change the tyres and lose the fun factor or keep them and look like a joke, the butt of every Focus RS and Megane RS owner. What does one do?
Pete, if you're making your tire choices based on what others will think of you... you've got problems. The first one being this: in car culture, there will ALWAYS be somebody who think's you're uncool.

Think about it this way. Don't want the Focus guys to make fun of you, so you buy "serious performance tires." Now you have performance snobs making fun of you for putting big-money tires on a 200 hp Toyobaru, and the Hellaflush crowd still thinks your setup is lame. If you alter your car's performance to justify the tires, you'll have the guys in Vettes and 911's calling you a ricer; if you achieve the Hellaflush look, you'll have people like, well... ME... making fun of you for ruining the handling and ride of a fantastic driver's car.

Do you see where I'm going with this? Hell, 99% of the public doesn't know this car runs on JDM Prius SPORT tires, and the ones that do know that probably couldn't tell you what those tires actually are. I can guarantee if you change rubber on the first day you buy it, you're still going to get posers hurling "Prius car!" accusations at you. I believe a wise-man once said it best: "Haters gonna hate." Just figure out for yourself what YOU want from the car, and adjust accordingly.

Me? I'm THRILLED that it has Prius tires! My last couple of rides came from the factory on high-end performance tires (run-flats, no less), that cost more than a used car's worth to replace. It'll be nice getting back to something that I can find anywhere, and replace without having to sell a kidney. Also, lower performance means a *wee* bit more tail-happiness, and that's what I want from this car.

Just my two yens worth.
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TuxedoCartman For This Useful Post:
YukiHachiRoku (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Drives: 2004 GS430
Nice post TuxedoCartman.

I always thought "Prius Sport Tires" was an oxymoron, but they are JDM, and if it's JDM, you cannot argue! =P

Last edited by YukiHachiRoku; 05-06-2012 at 05:22 PM.
YukiHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiHachiRoku View Post
Nice post TuxedoCartman.

I always though "Prius Sport Tires" was an oxymoron, but they are JDM, and if it's JDM, you cannot argue! =P
MWA HAH HAH!!! I LIVE in Japan! Everything I DO is JDM!!! See this toilet paper? IT'S JDM!! That box of cereal? JDM!!! My cereal has 5 more horsepower than yours! MWAH HAHA HAAA!!!

...oh, but I'm moving back next month.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoCartman View Post
MWA HAH HAH!!! I LIVE in Japan! Everything I DO is JDM!!! See this toilet paper? IT'S JDM!! That box of cereal? JDM!!! My cereal has 5 more horsepower than yours! MWAH HAHA HAAA!!!

...oh, but I'm moving back next month.

lmfao! I lived there for a total of 10 years on three different tours. I MISS SO MUCH ; ;

Old 05-07-2012, 02:07 AM   #11
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoCartman View Post
Pete, if you're making your tire choices based on what others will think of you... you've got problems. The first one being this: in car culture, there will ALWAYS be somebody who think's you're uncool.

Think about it this way. Don't want the Focus guys to make fun of you, so you buy "serious performance tires." Now you have performance snobs making fun of you for putting big-money tires on a 200 hp Toyobaru, and the Hellaflush crowd still thinks your setup is lame. If you alter your car's performance to justify the tires, you'll have the guys in Vettes and 911's calling you a ricer; if you achieve the Hellaflush look, you'll have people like, well... ME... making fun of you for ruining the handling and ride of a fantastic driver's car.

Do you see where I'm going with this? Hell, 99% of the public doesn't know this car runs on JDM Prius SPORT tires, and the ones that do know that probably couldn't tell you what those tires actually are. I can guarantee if you change rubber on the first day you buy it, you're still going to get posers hurling "Prius car!" accusations at you. I believe a wise-man once said it best: "Haters gonna hate." Just figure out for yourself what YOU want from the car, and adjust accordingly.

Me? I'm THRILLED that it has Prius tires! My last couple of rides came from the factory on high-end performance tires (run-flats, no less), that cost more than a used car's worth to replace. It'll be nice getting back to something that I can find anywhere, and replace without having to sell a kidney. Also, lower performance means a *wee* bit more tail-happiness, and that's what I want from this car.

Just my two yens worth.
Have you priced the Prius sport tires on the FR-S? They are about $214 a tire, definitely not cheaper than a good high performance tire..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Primacy+HP
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:16 AM   #12
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
The way you spell "tires" is a joke, sir, try agian.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:42 AM   #13
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
Have you priced the Prius sport tires on the FR-S? They are about $214 a tire, definitely not cheaper than a good high performance tire..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Primacy+HP

Eh, still much, much cheaper than the tires I had on my Jaguar XK. And that just means that if it performs that well on overpriced, mediocre performance tires, it'll do just as well with decent cheap ones.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:53 AM   #14
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiHachiRoku View Post
The way you spell "tires" is a joke, sir, try agian.
The way you spell "again" is a joke, sir.

But looking at his info, the guy is from Australia, and I think over there (and some other countries as well), they actually do spell it as "tyres," unlike here.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeeezNuuuts83 For This Useful Post:
Pistol Pete (05-07-2012)