follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #15
baldolera

Drives: None Yet
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiremonkey0824 View Post
It's also possible that the dipstick is reading incorrectly. I don't know about you, but if my manual tells me 5.8 that's what I am going to trust. Plus if the engine happens to have any issues due to over filling, then subaru/toyota can fix it since that is what they recommended that I fill it to. Also this is how our cars came from the factory, and this is what the dealer will fill to if you let them do your oil change.
I'm pretty sure the dipstick is accurate, and as far as I know dealership techs use the dipstick for oil changes as well. Don't forget, you're never going to get all the old engine oil out. When I took an oil pan off a BMW S52 engine there was still around 1/2 a litre of old black engine oil left, and before doing so I took the drain plug out and not a drop came out.

If you get oil changes done at any shop, whether it's at the dealer or an independent shop, they will never wait for all the old oil to drain out, because they have so many customers to attend to and standing there under the car for 15 minutes just watching old oil trickle out of the hole isn't time or cost effective haha.
baldolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #16
Jesse
wheel gap

Drives: whiteout frs, 04 xrs
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
check this: as stated above

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26197
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #17
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
I think it would be great if more people could mention checking the passenger side block off plate which he mentioned in the original post was dry.
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #18
ZZT86

Drives: BR86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I reckon Foobar hit the nail on the head.

I had the same experience first time change & noticed the oil quickly splashed onto alloy shield. When all done I cleaned everything up, checked levels & test drove. The next day I noticed oil level overfilled which I corrected & oil stainage on shield, cleaned it up & it's all OK.
ZZT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZZT86 For This Useful Post:
Marrk (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #19
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZT86 View Post
I reckon Foobar hit the nail on the head.

I had the same experience first time change & noticed the oil quickly splashed onto alloy shield. When all done I cleaned everything up, checked levels & test drove. The next day I noticed oil level overfilled which I corrected & oil stainage on shield, cleaned it up & it's all OK.

I third this.

It's possible that some oil, while exiting the drain hole, splashed onto something(s). That splashed oil is now making itself appears bit my bit.

How many days has it been since the oil change? Two?
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #20
DSMDave25

Drives: ZN6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys thanks again really for the insight. I really hope that's it! I do remember the oil shot out like a rocket when I took the plug off but I don't recall it splashing onto anything but that could be what happen. I just didn't notice.
It doesn't seem to leak when the cars at a stand still hence I left paper towels underneath overnight and nothing. It just shows up after a drive.
I'm going to check out the car again in a but and will repost. Yes it has been exactly two days since my change.
DSMDave25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #21
ZZT86

Drives: BR86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Take the alloy shield off & clean it & everything nearby with wax & grease remover & drive without shield. It should all be fine, it's highly unlikely it leaks. The oil gushes out quickly jacked up & on an angle & catches the shield slightly causing the stain, it actually falls into the inside & spreads across the shield with airflow when driving.
ZZT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #22
20valvewynn83

Drives: 2013 FRS/01 Tacoma
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMDave25 View Post
Hi guys I appreciate all the replies! I'm on lunch break (working nights) so ill
Keep this short for now! I did not leave the old gasket on for sure, infact it was stuck on
The oil drain bolt I had to use a flathead to pry it off then I put the new washer on.
I'm very sure I didn't spill a drop of oil anywhere, I used a funnel and everything
To pour the oil in. Also the old oil filter has the gasket still on it.
I checked the block off plate too on the passenger side and
Its dry, no signs. My dipstick is on secure. My engine oil cap is on tight as well as the filter.
There are no signs of leaks around the rims of the filter or oil cap.
I'm quite puzzled
Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to take it for a drive anbd see if it comes back/wipe
The area if it does and check again. Will post pics. Ill remove the shield too if I have time.
Hey you might have the same problem I had. I am a technician for Toyota and my car was the first with this problem, had to make a Product report. My trans was leaking through the casing on to my engine under cover. Thing was I caught it before it got out of control. Hope this isn't the case for you but I recommend taking off the cover and look at it .
20valvewynn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #23
Juurian

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS WhiteOut
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
worst case scenario if you're sure theres a leak in the system just use engine oil dye it'll show you exactly where its trailing from.

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Juurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #24
DSMDave25

Drives: ZN6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello all! Again thanks for all your insights everyone it shows how great this community is♥
I ended up inspecting everything today and it ended up what ZZT86 mentioned. What I ended up doing first (which I should have done earlier -_-) was check the oil in my engine by wiping it off the dipstick with a towel and it was still clear and fresh where as the oil I wiped at the bottom was dark brown. I ended up wiping the inner side of the engine cover where I spotted the oil stain initially and low and behold a mini pool of old brown oil
Wiped it all clean and went for a drive and all is clear! no more stains! I feel like such a dummy :p thanks again everyone!
DSMDave25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DSMDave25 For This Useful Post:
20valvewynn83 (04-03-2013), Clipdat (04-03-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #25
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Hey better safe than sorry! Glad everything worked out for the best. Also glad you don't have the leak from the block off plate! Sounds like you're good to go, get out there and enjoy!
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote