follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #155
jstans84
Banned

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double4Free View Post
.... "tie the tech to a cross and crucify him while simultaneously setting him on fire and killing his dog" .....

Hmm...that sounds like a good idea. OP do ^^^^^ that.
jstans84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:35 AM   #156
Bluecille

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So what ended up happening? I just spent the last 45 minutes reading these posts and yet I didnt read what dealer or what the outcome was. One thing not mentioned was try asking for nothing in return. Just let him know your trust has been betrayed and something like trust can't be bought or bartered for. Show the video to a manager and say this is the type of staff you employ and I nor will any relatives or friends of mine ever use this dealer for service again. I think more than monetary compensation you should be satisfied in knowing that here we are talking about this versus never knowing at all.

And a side note about the camaro story, those clutches blow when you sneeze on the petal to hard. My friend had a GTO the 2006 model and 30,000 miles he was getting trans parts replaced. Said his syncros we goin in 3rd and 4th the clutch had less bite etc. IMO the guy got lucky. Cars can be a tickin time bomb sometimes and all you can do is hope you're not the one driving when it goes Boom! Not to say the techs weren't being abusive but who buys an SS camaro to drive the speed limit? Thats what the V-6 is for.
Bluecille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:37 AM   #157
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecille View Post
So what ended up happening? I just spent the last 45 minutes reading these posts and yet I didnt read what dealer or what the outcome was. One thing not mentioned was try asking for nothing in return. Just let him know your trust has been betrayed and something like trust can't be bought or bartered for. Show the video to a manager and say this is the type of staff you employ and I nor will any relatives or friends of mine ever use this dealer for service again. I think more than monetary compensation you should be satisfied in knowing that here we are talking about this versus never knowing at all.

And a side note about the camaro story, those clutches blow when you sneeze on the petal to hard. My friend had a GTO the 2006 model and 30,000 miles he was getting trans parts replaced. Said his syncros we goin in 3rd and 4th the clutch had less bite etc. IMO the guy got lucky. Cars can be a tickin time bomb sometimes and all you can do is hope you're not the one driving when it goes Boom! Not to say the techs weren't being abusive but who buys an SS camaro to drive the speed limit? Thats what the V-6 is for.
With threads like these I just scroll through looking for posts from the OP
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #87 For This Useful Post:
Bluecille (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #158
White Shadow
Banned

Drives: 12,000 miles per year
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoCartman View Post
No, the odds AREN'T one in a million. If there is a lax attitude towards employees recklessly driving customer cars at a dealership, then that same employee will continue to do so. Did you ever get behind the wheel of a sports car, drive it fast one time, get out, and go, "Well, that was fun... guess I'll go buy me a minivan now." No. If the kid's doing this with one, he's doing it with others too. And I don't want to be one of the "others".

And while I have a sneaking suspicion this is all too common at dealership service centers, I'd rather do what I can to minimize the risk; and part of that is identifying which dealership has employees abusing cars, then avoiding them. If you don't want spit in your McDonald's, where do you go: the McDonald's two blocks over, or the McDonald's where last time your friend went he got a Quarter-Pound Spit w/ Cheese?
Okay, so what are the odds then? If you're so adamant that you're correct about the odds, give me some numbers and tell me how you support them.

BTW, I worked for many years as a tech at a Toyota dealership. During those years, I got to know lots of other techs (from my dealership and other dealerships in my area) and I'd say that 99.9% of them were always respectful with customers' cars.

If you think that someone posting the name of one particular dealer where one particular employee abused one particular car will somehow help you minimize risk, well, then I can only laugh and tell you "good luck". Do your best to "beat the odds", bud.
White Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #159
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Shadow View Post
Okay, so what are the odds then? If you're so adamant that you're correct about the odds, give me some numbers and tell me how you support them.

BTW, I worked for many years as a tech at a Toyota dealership. During those years, I got to know lots of other techs (from my dealership and other dealerships in my area) and I'd say that 99.9% of them were always respectful with customers' cars.

If you think that someone posting the name of one particular dealer where one particular employee abused one particular car will somehow help you minimize risk, well, then I can only laugh and tell you "good luck". Do your best to "beat the odds", bud.
So 99.9% of them were respectful with customers cars? So you witnessed people being disrespectful with customers cars, then? If this sort of thing is so rare, why were you surprised they didn't steal the dash cam? If dealerships treating cars poorly is so unbelievably rare, why do so many people on this board refuse to take their cars in for anything short of catastrophic engine failure?

Also, please explain to me how it is that this can be a "one in a million" circumstance, yet you don't feel I can do anything to minimize risk? So is it incredibly common, or incredibly rare... you're getting your argument confused.

But really... why the fuck do you care what bad publicity gets published about this dealership? You work there? Do you suspect this was your dealership you used to work at?

My question was aimed at the OP and his wife; YOU have contributed nothing to this except scorn, unjustified arrogance, and complete lack of knowledge of statistics (or how to phrase an argument, for that matter) So how about you piss off and leave my questions to be answered by the OP and his wife, okay?

And speaking of, I'm still curious about your last post, shotizzle. Would love for you two to fill us in better on what's going on/ what happened.
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #160
White Shadow
Banned

Quote:
So 99.9% of them were respectful with customers cars? So you witnessed people being disrespectful with customers cars, then?
Did I witness it? No. I just heard stories. There's always bound to be one idiot around if you look hard enough. It's simply unavoidable.

Quote:
If this sort of thing is so rare, why were you surprised they didn't steal the dash cam?
That was a joke. I wasn't really surprised at all.

Quote:
If dealerships treating cars poorly is so unbelievably rare, why do so many people on this board refuse to take their cars in for anything short of catastrophic engine failure?
I dunno...why don't you tell me the reason. Most people I know have no problem bringing their car to a dealership for service. I guess there will always be people who have an irrational fear of dealership service departments (look in the mirror to see one of them)

Quote:

Also, please explain to me how it is that this can be a "one in a million" circumstance, yet you don't feel I can do anything to minimize risk? So is it incredibly common, or incredibly rare... you're getting your argument confused.
LOL, why are you taking this so literally? My "one in a million" wasn't actually meant to actually mean one time in a million. It means that the odds are highly in your favor that your car will not be mistreated by a technician at a dealership. The fact of the matter is the vast majority of cars are NOT abused at car dealerships. Have you ever worked at a car dealership? I have, so I'm speaking from personal experience.

Quote:
But really... why the fuck do you care what bad publicity gets published about this dealership? You work there? Do you suspect this was your dealership you used to work at?
Who said that I care? I couldn't give less of a shit about that particular dealership or the technician who was caught on video. And since I'm in NY, I'd say that a dealership in Nevada is probably far, far away from the dealership where I used to work.

My point from the very beginning is that people shouldn't be scared of bringing their car in for service simply because someone posted a thread on a message forum that the tech working on his/her car redlined it a few times. LOL Is that disappointing? Sure. Is the car ruined? Absolutely not.

Quote:

My question was aimed at the OP and his wife; YOU have contributed nothing to this except scorn, unjustified arrogance, and complete lack of knowledge of statistics (or how to phrase an argument, for that matter) So how about you piss off and leave my questions to be answered by the OP and his wife, okay?
Last time I checked, this is a public message forum. That means any member is free to read the posts and respond to them. If you don't like it, tough shit. If you want to have a private conversation with the OP, then hit the PM button and have at it, m'kay?
Old 11-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #161
drifter

Drives: truck and old car
Quote:

What I might do is go ahead take it to your dealer and let the service manager know about this incident that happened and that you're a little concerned. While this won't be 100% full-proof I believe that could somewhat minimize the risk by just being cool with him.
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:30 AM   #162
slidethis
Banned

Drives: Argento
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
There was a thread on yahoo. That a dealership was taking care of a guys camaro. So the person had a camera in there car. (like yours) And it raised concern and the maintenance people who worked for the dealership were reving and burning throught the clutch and ever said stating "that they were going to blame the driver for the burned clutch" this person took the video to a lawyer and brough the case to the dealership and reinbursed him with a new car. He said no. He wanted his money back..So if i was you..i would definately do something about it.
slidethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #163
White Shadow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidethis View Post
There was a thread on yahoo. That a dealership was taking care of a guys camaro. So the person had a camera in there car. (like yours) And it raised concern and the maintenance people who worked for the dealership were reving and burning throught the clutch and ever said stating "that they were going to blame the driver for the burned clutch" this person took the video to a lawyer and brough the case to the dealership and reinbursed him with a new car. He said no. He wanted his money back..So if i was you..i would definately do something about it.
The guy didn't get offered a new car. The story ends with the dealership buying the car from him. He had the car for three years and the dealership offered to buy the car from him above Kelley Blue Book value.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2012/10/...rvice-workers/
Old 11-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #164
Borgore
Enthusiast Member

Drives: Toyota FT86
Stories are stories and the best way for a positive outcome is to be upfront and honest about everything. Allow the dealership to explain their side of the story, ask the tech why he drove the car the way he did, and yes, driving through 20 stoplights redlining the entire way isnt typically testing nature. Sometimes a tech has to drive the car fairly aggressively in order to find the fault, however if the fault is something minor, then redlining isnt necessary.

My personal suggestion, if the dealership blows you off and takes the video of the tech and throws it out the window and says everything was ok, however, you the owner of the vehicle dont think it's ok, take the footage and your story to a public news agency. Dealerships will blow off customers left and right and when you put yourself in their shoes, the service manager gets complaints everyday from customers about service, so they add you to the list of customers that are pissed off for the day. Though once you get public attention, then they'll probably take you a little more seriously. It is a bit harsh to go this route, though lawyering up is very expensive and dealerships have their own lawyers that are going to blow you off as well.
Borgore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Borgore For This Useful Post:
Moto-P (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #165
Moto-P

Drives: Many types of cars in R&D.
Thanked 3,057 Times in 568 Posts
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgore View Post
Stories are stories and the best way for a positive outcome is to be upfront and honest about everything. Allow the dealership to explain their side of the story, ask the tech why he drove the car the way he did, and yes, driving through 20 stoplights redlining the entire way isnt typically testing nature. Sometimes a tech has to drive the car fairly aggressively in order to find the fault, however if the fault is something minor, then redlining isnt necessary.

My personal suggestion, if the dealership blows you off and takes the video of the tech and throws it out the window and says everything was ok, however, you the owner of the vehicle dont think it's ok, take the footage and your story to a public news agency. Dealerships will blow off customers left and right and when you put yourself in their shoes, the service manager gets complaints everyday from customers about service, so they add you to the list of customers that are pissed off for the day. Though once you get public attention, then they'll probably take you a little more seriously. It is a bit harsh to go this route, though lawyering up is very expensive and dealerships have their own lawyers that are going to blow you off as well.
Report it to Toyota HQ too though, before taking an big aggressive approach as they are partly responsible in some ways for allowing misconduct (if in your view) for their franchised dealership, to which they have the right to revoke further sales and service of Toyota automobiles. And more importantly, take actions in order to satisfy your situation and grief as well.
I wrote the contact above before...a few posts up.

News agency is an effective way to get a public message across, but they are also operating in the interest of SELLING the news, so things often gets very misguided at times, and outcome might not favor either party, but the agency itself. Not to mention there are a whole can of worms these days on what moves public media, its interests, ties with 3rd parties and their interests...so on and so forth.
Consulting Member at Cusco, OEM+, RS-R.
www.club4ag.com
Moto-P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (11-14-2012), F1point4 (11-14-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 11:28 PM   #166
NetMagi

Drives: 13 Firestorm FR-S
Raise your hand if you just keep coming back to this thread to see if the vid got posted yet :P

Past: 13 10-Series FR-S, 13 FR-S, 11 S4, 07 Corolla, 98 Tacoma 4WD, 03 Corolla, 89 Camry, 90 Celica GT-S, 87 Celica GT-S
NetMagi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NetMagi For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (11-14-2012), Braces (11-15-2012), briang0901 (11-20-2012), HunterGreene (11-14-2012), Mari0 (11-15-2012), OjiGeorge (11-14-2012), sierra (11-13-2012), zaptorque (11-15-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #167
ApoNono

Drives: 2019 86 TRD Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMagi View Post
Raise your hand if you just keep coming back to this thread to see if the vid got posted yet :P

This
ApoNono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #168
PNW FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMagi View Post

Raise your hand if you think this drama has run its course....
PNW FRS is offline   Reply With Quote