follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-15-2017, 09:50 PM   #29
becausethexo

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2015 Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Basically give you bank insurance at a substantially high rate and wrap it into your car payments.

Gd 26 and can't even get your own insurance? Lol.
Age is irrelevant for that, for example a 70 year old even couldn't get his own insurance with a G1.
becausethexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:51 PM   #30
becausethexo

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
If you miss a few payments the bank will repo it. It's not really yours until it's paid off. So, you're required to have it insured as long as you are making payments.

I assumed you were way younger. What took you so long to get your license?
I'm not missing car payments though.. it's automatically withdrawn from my bank account.

This thread has turned into something else.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:57 PM   #31
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trovez View Post
Age is irrelevant for that, for example a 70 year old even couldn't get his own insurance with a G1.
Canada has some weird rules. I actually think it is kind of neat learning some of the intricacies.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 12:00 AM   #32
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,888 Times in 16,451 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm not missing car payments though.. it's automatically withdrawn from my bank account.

This thread has turned into something else.
I'm thinking we are missing "the rest of the story"........

How come don't you have a drivers license at your age ... ??

Did you ever have a drivers license .. ??

Is your car in your mother's driveway .. ??

Why won't your mother cover/sponsor you on insurance .. ??

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (12-16-2017), new2subaru (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 10:27 AM   #33
becausethexo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Canada has some weird rules. I actually think it is kind of neat learning some of the intricacies.
Isn't it in America you can basically be 16 and get your Full License to drive alone as soon as you pass certain tests?
Old 12-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #34
becausethexo

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I'm thinking we are missing "the rest of the story"........

How come don't you have a drivers license at your age ... ??

Did you ever have a drivers license .. ??

Is your car in your mother's driveway .. ??

Why won't your mother cover/sponsor you on insurance .. ??

humfrz
I used to drive illegally, before I purchased my BRZ. I wasn't the same responsible person I am now. Sure, it's late to get my license but keep in mind some people still don't drive in their very late age/never wish to drive or get their license.

It's parked in my driveway (not my mothers), therefore her insurance company won't insure it. Plus, I'm trying to disassociate myself with her and all things attached to her (legally and finanially), so I don't want that. It must be parked in her driveway which just doesn't work anymore for me.
She already caused like 2K damage to the car, lol.

Anyways back on topic, I'm going to just buy a steering wheel lock.. and try that metal box thing with the keys. As for the insurance thing, I'll see if they'll cover theft/fire or whatever even for someone with my G1 (beginners) license, assumed they wouldn't since law states only G2 and above can get insurance.

I don't want to sell etc. as some have suggested as opposed to just letting it sit for 3 months. I don't even know where this idea came from.. something I must've implied or said?
I looked into it and insurance will roughly cost me $330 a month, on top of my $450 a month car payments. I know it's a lot, but I just love the car and want to do everything I can to keep it even if it's going to hurt me financially!
The Following User Says Thank You to becausethexo For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #35
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Isn't it in America you can basically be 16 and get your Full License to drive alone as soon as you pass certain tests?
Some states have restrictions on time of driving and passenger age / amount of passengers but for the most part, yeah.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:37 PM   #36
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:

I don't want to sell etc. as some have suggested as opposed to just letting it sit for 3 months. I don't even know where this idea came from.. something I must've implied or said?
I looked into it and insurance will roughly cost me $330 a month, on top of my $450 a month car payments. I know it's a lot, but I just love the car and want to do everything I can to keep it even if it's going to hurt me financially!
Well, the selling idea was brought up because

A) you can't legally fulfill your loan agreement.
B) it is probably the most responsible suggestion
C) this is exactly the time when you will need full coverage (theft / damage) won't have it, and then be on the hook for a car you don't have or is damaged extensively.

Probably wouldn't be able to sell in three months anyways, so find a different work a round where you fulifill the loan agreement without incurring penalties you can't afford.
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 02:18 PM   #37
humfrz

Quote:
I used to drive illegally, before I purchased my BRZ. I wasn't the same responsible person I am now. Sure, it's late to get my license but keep in mind some people still don't drive in their very late age/never wish to drive or get their license.

It's parked in my driveway (not my mothers), therefore her insurance company won't insure it. Plus, I'm trying to disassociate myself with her and all things attached to her (legally and finanially), so I don't want that. It must be parked in her driveway which just doesn't work anymore for me.

Anyways back on topic, I'm going to just buy a steering wheel lock.. and try that metal box thing with the keys. As for the insurance thing, I'll see if they'll cover theft/fire or whatever even for someone with my G1 (beginners) license, assumed they wouldn't since law states only G2 and above can get insurance.

OR, shouldn't drive in their late age, just ask @Tcoat .......

Good plan on the lock ......

I wish you well .......

humfrz
Old 12-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #38
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

There is no need for a steering wheel lock. The only way the car can be stolen is with the key or if they tow it. If they have a way of getting around the chipped system they are high level pros (this is mostly on movies folks) and then the lock isn't even going to slow them down. If they tow it then again the lock means nothing since they will just drag it.

There are several thousand owners on here and there have been three reports of theft. Two were left running while the owner "just left it for a second" and one was from a shop where they had access to the key/fob.

These are not 1994 Caravans or 91 Civics where it can be stolen by just popping the ignition out . They are a complex chip system that contrary to popular belief is not easy to bypass.

Also still missing the point that the bank could come and take the car at any time since no insurance will be a blatant contravention of the loan agreement. Fine to gamble they won't find out but if they do you will either need to insure right then and there or had over the keys. You are playing with fire and somebody stealing it should be the least of your worries.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:08 PM   #39
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
There is no need for a steering wheel lock. The only way the car can be stolen is with the key or if they tow it. If they have a way of getting around the chipped system they are high level pros (this is mostly on movies folks) and then the lock isn't even going to slow them down. If they tow it then again the lock means nothing since they will just drag it.

The steering wheel lock is more for the benefit of the owner to give him time to react. He says the car is parked in his driveway.

So, if he parks it in his driveway with the front pointing away from the street, and turns and locks the steering wheel off center, then clubs it, the tower will have a hell of a hard time "dragging" it up onto a to a tilt flatbed truck or just pulling it down the street.

So, says Bubba .......

humfrz
Old 12-16-2017, 04:17 PM   #40
Tcoat

Quote:
The steering wheel lock is more for the benefit of the owner to give him time to react. He says the car is parked in his driveway.

So, if he parks it in his driveway with the front pointing away from the street, and turns and locks the steering wheel off center, then clubs it, the tower will have a hell of a hard time "dragging" it up onto a to a tilt flatbed truck or just pulling it down the street.

So, says Bubba .......

humfrz
Ever seen a wrecker pull a damaged car with both wheels pointing in different directions up to it? We are talking about dragging here not rolling. When you are not worried about damaging the car it is really, REALLY easy to do. Many years ago I rode with a buddy that did parking lot tows. He could be hooked up to a car and have it on the dollies in under a minute. No wheel angle, club, tranny in park or any other action you would think would make it difficult even slowed him down more than 5 or so seconds. By the time you saw him, threw on some shoes and got out the door he would be long gone with your car.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:51 PM   #41
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Ever seen a wrecker pull a damaged car with both wheels pointing in different directions up to it? We are talking about dragging here not rolling. When you are not worried about damaging the car it is really, REALLY easy to do. Many years ago I rode with a buddy that did parking lot tows. He could be hooked up to a car and have it on the dollies in under a minute. No wheel angle, club, tranny in park or any other action you would think would make it difficult even slowed him down more than 5 or so seconds. By the time you saw him, threw on some shoes and got out the door he would be long gone with your car.
I wonder if he could outrun my 30-30 bullets .......

OK, time for my oatmeal and loooong Saturday nap ........

If you come back with another weak argument point ........ I'll address it ...... later ........ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2017, 07:59 PM   #42
Tcoat

Quote:
I wonder if he could outrun my 30-30 bullets .......

OK, time for my oatmeal and loooong Saturday nap ........

If you come back with another weak argument point ........ I'll address it ...... later ........ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Well unless you wander around with it in your hand, yes.

Here is how valuable the Club is for protecting your car.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd2Op5VpUrg"]Professional Thieves break the lock - YouTube[/ame]

The club was a great marketing scheme and had value against casual theft back before chip security systems but in today's cars it is a waste of time and money. Anybody that can bypass the chip is not even going to bat an eye at a club. As I said it will have no impact on towing either. Sure you can attempt to shoot them but do you stand staring at your car 24/7 with a gun in your hand?

Anybody that doesn't want their car stolen just needs to keep the key out of it. There is no ring of high end professional thieves searching out these cars.

Last edited by Tcoat; 12-16-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-16-2017)