follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 03-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #2087
silverlining

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Not entirely sure what you are trying to do here. I'll try to decipher.

-Are you working with Shiv on getting an OFT tune for the supercharger? I personally don't have an OFT but from what I know about it, your "stage 1" won't work. You will have to get a Edelbrock specific tune from Shiv.

-I don't know what tunes Shiv has given you, but I would hazard a guess he will have to adjust it if you are planning on using injectors and header. I would also guess that he can also tune it using either the TMAP that comes with the kit or any aftermarket MAP sensors. Again, you will have to get a custom tune from Shiv.

-The CARB tune is based on ECUtek and not OFT, so if you are trying to be CARB legal, you'll have to switch. As far as specific parameters? I have no idea.
Thanks, that all makes sense. Yeah, I want to stick with an OFT based tune and I'm trying to figure out what I need to do. I'm a little interested in tuning it myself, but it seems like having someone else do it initially is a better idea for now. I did read the CARB tune was available online somewhere, but I guess there's no guarantee I could see the maps in it. From what I've been able to find about the other tuning stuff so far, the OFT stage 1 base timing maps, and maybe other things, are too aggressive for FI. Oh well, no use overthinking it since I don't have the kit yet. I might practice tuning the car on my own in the mean time.
silverlining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #2088
Majik27

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Garage
Pulley part numbers

Anyone have part number for the 2.5" pulley?
Majik27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:33 PM   #2089
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlining View Post
Thanks, that all makes sense. Yeah, I want to stick with an OFT based tune and I'm trying to figure out what I need to do. I'm a little interested in tuning it myself, but it seems like having someone else do it initially is a better idea for now. I did read the CARB tune was available online somewhere, but I guess there's no guarantee I could see the maps in it. From what I've been able to find about the other tuning stuff so far, the OFT stage 1 base timing maps, and maybe other things, are too aggressive for FI. Oh well, no use overthinking it since I don't have the kit yet. I might practice tuning the car on my own in the mean time.
This isn't a case of tweaking the maps from NA, there is a fair bit of work involved. There's no way that I would consider using a NA stage 1/2 as a base, unless you literally wanted to spend days getting it to run well and then a few paid hours on a dyno getting the final setup sorted. TBH you'd be better off starting with a stock tune.

The CARB tune is ECUtek, you won't be able to flash or use it using anything else. Nor can you view the maps.

At this stage, why the appeal of OFT? Most of the tuners that have done loads of stuff on the E-Force use ECUtek, who already have time invested in making them run well.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
Silverfox (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #2090
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
^this. I understand why folks would want to use something they already had but there is just so much more support and knowledge base on ecutek it would be very silly not to.

It's like insisting on using MS paint since you already have it instead of just buying Photoshop.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
Silverfox (03-03-2017), taiguy (03-03-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 01:39 AM   #2091
silverlining

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
This isn't a case of tweaking the maps from NA, there is a fair bit of work involved. There's no way that I would consider using a NA stage 1/2 as a base, unless you literally wanted to spend days getting it to run well and then a few paid hours on a dyno getting the final setup sorted. TBH you'd be better off starting with a stock tune.

The CARB tune is ECUtek, you won't be able to flash or use it using anything else. Nor can you view the maps.

At this stage, why the appeal of OFT? Most of the tuners that have done loads of stuff on the E-Force use ECUtek, who already have time invested in making them run well.
The main appeal of OFT to me is that it's an all in one solution that has most gauge values as well. Although Android tablets are pretty cheap, and wiring up to my car just to run Torque wouldn't be difficult.

I definitely don't want to spend days getting things running smooth in my garage just to take it to another shop. I'll consider if something like an EcuTek tune is better for me. There definitely seems to be more support for it.
silverlining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:38 PM   #2092
taiguy

Drives: 2013 Black BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Switched from the Edelbrock CARB v3 tune to the Delicious V21 tune and the car's idle behavior is much better, with no more surging as you clutch in coming to a stop.

I haven't explored much of the top end of the RPM range but things feel pretty smooth at the low end for daily driving.
taiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taiguy For This Useful Post:
Chimera (03-16-2017), Silverfox (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 03:48 PM   #2093
paiceyfan

Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by taiguy View Post
Switched from the Edelbrock CARB v3 tune to the Delicious V21 tune and the car's idle behavior is much better, with no more surging as you clutch in coming to a stop.

I haven't explored much of the top end of the RPM range but things feel pretty smooth at the low end for daily driving.

Same experience here...nice and stable.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:57 PM   #2094
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taiguy View Post

What's the CARB V3 file name? I'm still on a CARB tune (ZA1JB01D_6B83D0_EForce_EO.bin); still experiencing the mid-range hesitation ever since it was flashed from the original tune. Hoping Edelbrock will release a version that fixes that as I want to stay with the CARB tune.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:19 AM   #2095
taiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
What's the CARB V3 file name? I'm still on a CARB tune (ZA1JB01D_6B83D0_EForce_EO.bin); still experiencing the mid-range hesitation ever since it was flashed from the original tune. Hoping Edelbrock will release a version that fixes that as I want to stay with the CARB tune.
ECU_DongleID_EForce_EO_V3.bin

And verbage from Edelbrock on the changes
We noticed the rpm fluctuation seemed to follow a sudden ramp in exhaust cam timing at a specific range in engine load. We softened that ramp slightly an are hoping this will address the “bucking” issue you are experiencing. As for your fuel mileage we do not understand why your BRZ is performing any different from other vehicles with the same ECU version at this point.
The Following User Says Thank You to taiguy For This Useful Post:
shiumai (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #2096
bshown

Drives: is300
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We're on CARB V3 also and still have the bucking issue. Can't seem to figure it out but glad I'm not the only one. I really wonder if it's something mechanical with the supercharger or the intake setup. It just isn't smooth at all. But still no MIL or anything.

Quote:
bshown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:59 PM   #2097
shiumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshown View Post
We're on CARB V3 also and still have the bucking issue. Can't seem to figure it out but glad I'm not the only one. I really wonder if it's something mechanical with the supercharger or the intake setup. It just isn't smooth at all. But still no MIL or anything.
i don't think so because it was fine on the initial tune before the EO one.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #2098
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
i don't think so because it was fine on the initial tune before the EO one.
I assume edelbrock knows about this issue and is working on it? Be nice to see a response from them here...
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:56 PM   #2099
taiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwoot View Post
I assume edelbrock knows about this issue and is working on it? Be nice to see a response from them here...
Likely answer is it's a side effect of having to tune for emissions controls.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:40 PM   #2100
shiumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwoot View Post
Yes, they are, but not enough folk are providing data logs to actually change the CARB tune. They don't know if it only affects a small minority, or more. They're addressing them on an individual basis. One of the factors is that many people are just buying tunes so they don't get as much feedback on the CARB tune.