follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #99
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaros View Post
Well yeah that's what I mean, we can have everyone on the forum with one to test out new maps, it can be a huge experiment. Gah I want this car now >_<
the maps are there as a plug and play option if you dont want to or cant get a real tuning session on a dyno or whatever. the maps are generally conservative. if you want the real deal, just go to a competent tuner and get a real tune.
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #100
Zgrinch

Drives: 2013 Limited DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post
the maps are there as a plug and play option if you dont want to or cant get a real tuning session on a dyno or whatever. the maps are generally conservative. if you want the real deal, just go to a competent tuner and get a real tune.
Dumb question - if you did take the car in for a real tune, then could not that map/data be shared so that everyone could get similar performance?
Zgrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #101
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zgrinch View Post
Dumb question - if you did take the car in for a real tune, then could not that map/data be shared so that everyone could get similar performance?
Every motor is a little different. One guys agressive tune can be death for another guys engine. That's why base and generic maps and such are conservative, so nothing bad happens (or at least there's a greatly reduced risk).

If you are going far enough to get a fully tunable solution spend the extra time and money with someone that can tune it on a loading dyno and get everything right.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #102
madfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Every motor is a little different. One guys agressive tune can be death for another guys engine. That's why base and generic maps and such are conservative, so nothing bad happens (or at least there's a greatly reduced risk).

If you are going far enough to get a fully tunable solution spend the extra time and money with someone that can tune it on a loading dyno and get everything right.
yes! never use someone else's tune even if they literally have the same exact mods. every car is different!

one thing that Cobb does is offer both "off the shelf" base maps and free tuning software so that you (or a pro) can tune/flash the ecu. the OTS maps are usually conservative because they have to be safe enough so that anyone can use them. Cobb also tests their OTS maps extensively, and revises them if people see common problems.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #103
Zgrinch

Thanks guys, that makes perfect sense. Does the warranty become void if you have it tuned?
Old 11-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #104
Z.Tune

Drives: E46 M3/Z34
June of 2012???? OMG!!!!! U R KILLING ME!!!
Z.Tune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #105
Ikaros
Solar wind surfer

Drives: 2013 FRS
Garage
Hmm, how much does a tune at a professional cost?
Ikaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #106
madfast

Quote:
Thanks guys, that makes perfect sense. Does the warranty become void if you have it tuned?
YES!!!!!!!! you can always reflash the original ROM that came with the car, but there may or may not be traces of the flash and/or flash counters, etc. imo, the best advice is to assume there are traces and be prepared. if you cannot afford to fix your car, DONT TUNE IT!!!
Old 11-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #107
Zgrinch

Quote:
YES!!!!!!!! you can always reflash the original ROM that came with the car, but there may or may not be traces of the flash and/or flash counters, etc. imo, the best advice is to assume there are traces and be prepared. if you cannot afford to fix your car, DONT TUNE IT!!!
Thanks for the education madfast.... Unless a professional tune can bring on significant HP, I do not see the value relative to voiding my warranty. Not that I cannot afford repairs, rather if I only get a 15HP boost, then why risk having to constantly pay for warranty work out of pocket. Can definitely see a professional tune after the warranty period, and or if the boost is > than 30HP then I might consider it. Again thanks for your advise and input.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #108
virobloc

Drives: Toyota GT86, MT, Kyuzo Red
Thanks Matador! Perfect transaltion.
I'll try to put some light on these sentences wich aren't very clear:

"I missed a stiffer direction" - By stiffer direction he means a wheel you need to apply more force to to make it turn. (Probably to make direction more sensitive)

"Its lightness, quick turn in (?) and the smoothness..." - Here, he refers to the speed with wich the forward wheels react to drivers input on the wheel. The lack of lag between the moment the driver turns the wheel and the car starts to turn.

"With a few quick developments (huh?), the rpm rises..." - This is a clear case of a lingustic "false friend"
In Spanish "desarrollo" means both "developement" and "gear ratio"
Therefore "con unos desarrollos muy cortos" means "with very short gear ratios"

The rest, as I said before, is perfect. I wish I could speak both languages as good as you.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #109
madfast

Quote:
Thanks for the education madfast.... Unless a professional tune can bring on significant HP, I do not see the value relative to voiding my warranty. Not that I cannot afford repairs, rather if I only get a 15HP boost, then why risk having to constantly pay for warranty work out of pocket. Can definitely see a professional tune after the warranty period, and or if the boost is > than 30HP then I might consider it. Again thanks for your advise and input.
imo i think there will be 2 main groups of owners. 1.) people who will just use bolt ons and are fine with the performance. these guys probably wont get much out of ecu tuning. and 2.) people who will go FI. now this is where ecu tuning is essential. the last group is of course the NA guys. its a noble goal to squeeze as much hp out of the engine as possible without FI, but its expensive and will never match the performance of the FI guys. and for that reason these guys will be rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virobloc View Post
"I missed a stiffer direction" - By stiffer direction he means a wheel you need to apply more force to to make it turn. (Probably to make direction more sensitive)
so is he saying the steering feels light? EPS better not mess up the steering!
Old 11-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #110
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well yeah that's what I mean, we can have everyone on the forum with one to test out new maps, it can be a huge experiment. Gah I want this car now >_<
If you want to create a DIY tuning community for this car the better tool to create it around (IMO) is the Tactrix OpenPort with ECUflash and RomRaider. For one thing, it's a hell of a lot cheaper ($170) since the hardware is really just a OBDII to USB adapter rather than a fully self-contained gadget. A less important point is that the software is open source, created by car enthusiasts and shared freely with other enthusiasts with no expectation of reward. IMO, this is much more in harmony with the concept of a community formed for sharing and cooperation than any proprietary commercial solution. And an even less important point; ECUflash and RomRaider are both way better looking than AccessTuner.

The only real downside is that you pretty much need a laptop, or at least a really long USB cord, as the OpenPort needs to be connected to a computer in order to work.

Quote:
Hmm, how much does a tune at a professional cost?
Usually in the $400-$500 range. Most tuners can work with the AccessPort, but there are also many that comfortable working with the open source solution as well.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #111
virobloc

Quote:
the 2 types of transmissions, are they simply just saying there will be a MT and AT??? i dont get how they are implying 2 different MT ratio sets or anything like that...
Just a translation issue. the correct one would be like this:

"It has two types of transmission. The one I tried was equipped with a 6 speed manual. They assured me that there would be two gear ratio options, following the country [market] that it will go to
or the taste of the customer (lolwtfbbqwaffles?!?!?! Implying perhaps different ratios between hi spec and low spec or different gear ratios/final drives for different markets)."

Also, in the part of the article related with the brochure leak, he speaks again about the two different gear ratios options.

I guess that now it makes more sense to you, true?
Old 11-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #112
virobloc

Quote:
so is he saying the steering feels light? EPS better not mess up the steering!
Yes, I totally agree with you, they'd better make a sensitive direction...

By the way the reporter said that, I don't think it's a too much light, bad or numb direction at all. He was just pointing that as one of the improvements the car might need. If the car ends up with a good direction feeling, we should be a bit grateful to him

Tags
brz ecu tune, brz ecu tuning, brz forum, brz forums, brz review, brz reviews, brz software, brz tune, brz tuning, fr-s ecu tune, fr-s review, fr-s software, fr-s tuning, ft-86 review, scino fr-s reviews, scion fr-s ecu tune, scion fr-s forum, scion fr-s forums, scion fr-s review, scion fr-s software, scion fr-s tune, scion fr-s tuning, subaru brz ecu tune, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums, subaru brz reviews, subaru brz software, subaru brz tune, subaru brz tuning, toyota ft-86 reviews