follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #113
Steve

Drives: 6MT
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Silly drama...

Won't matter come spring... Toyota:happy0180:Subaru

Car is going to be awesome.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #114
Torquesteered

Drives: 07 fusion
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroWRX View Post
I'd say this is the first case in history of such an automobile was created where one company essentially did most of the work, and another company claimed it was theirs. In this case, both companies are separate entities and each one will benefit pretty much individually from the car. (Toyota slightly more due to buying 16.5% of Subaru before creating this car). Wouldn't matter if all the spoils of war goes back to one company because it's just really one cash pool at the end.

It has to do with principles more than anything else. If both Toyota and Subaru agreed to announce the production model on the same day and/or even together we could've skipped most of the drama. Since Toyota bought almost a quarter of Subaru, there was no issue for splitting the spoils of war. But imagine if you were the engineers who poured your blood and sweat into the car and can't wait to announce it Monday morning... only to have someone else come in and say they did most of the work and announce it first Sunday night. How would you feel?

Secondly, both cars are identical aside from some subjective aesthetics on the exterior (include internal seat material and color palette). Subaru/Toyota tuning and spring rates etc. can are all very superficial modifications which can be changed by the end user anyways. So we even have less reasons to choose between the two other than subjective preference.

I think the case of the FT86, it is most definitely valid to choose Subaru over Toyota just out of principle rather than subjective preference, or even brand loyalty. As an engineer, I would totally call foul play in this matter and have a hard time bringing myself to support Toyota with my money. It's the ultimate dishonor in the engineering world to do such a thing.

It's just hilarious that very shortly after Toyota announced the production model, Subaru announced the STI concept. It really does show who was more ready due to Subaru easily pulling something under their sleeves since they have the bulk of the engineering and design done.

This is all . You talk about this as if you know... and you don't...

This car was designed and engineered in tandom. They are the same car being built in the same plant. Neither company had the ability to build it on their own atm, subaru couldn't afford to and toyota has no assembly plant with an opening. They may even be sharing profit on both cars, as in both companies make money no matter what badge is on it.

You can't make an accurate assesment of the situation by what engineers and reporters say. If you don't like one company or the other thats your buisness but don't spread biased speculation on this forum. We don't care who did what, we care that it exists. If you want to practice brand fanboism take it to one of the makers forums. This forum is for all 3 of the cars.
Torquesteered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #115
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I think the case of the FT86, it is most definitely valid to choose Subaru over Toyota just out of principle rather than subjective preference, or even brand loyalty. As an engineer, I would totally call foul play in this matter and have a hard time bringing myself to support Toyota with my money. It's the ultimate dishonor in the engineering world to do such a thing.
What the hell are you talking about? Go back and read the interviews/watch the videos with the engineers that worked on the car. Not the marketing people, not the car show reps, the engineers. They all say that the car was developed by a joint team of engineers from both companies, operating independently from either company. Anyone who buys one brand or the other out of "principle" is an idiot. Buy the one that has the features you want for less money.

read this
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...hief-engineer/
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #116
BigFoot

Drives: '06 VW Eos 2.0FSI
Yeah for me personally each car (GT 86 and BRZ) has a few advantages.
GT 86:
- the dealership is located much closer to where I live
- I prefer the front of the car

BRZ:
- I prefer the suspension setup
- I like the WR blue

In the end I'll probably decide based on the price.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #117
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
Yeah for me personally each car (GT 86 and BRZ) has a few advantages.
GT 86:
- the dealership is located much closer to where I live
- I prefer the front of the car

BRZ:
- I prefer the suspension setup
- I like the WR blue

In the end I'll probably decide based on the price.
Just going to throw it out there... but the front is interchangeable.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #118
BigFoot

Drives: '06 VW Eos 2.0FSI
^ Yeah I'm too cheap to do that.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #119
armythug

Drives: Pegasus White 86GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
I wonder when Subaru will give definite on BRZ STI version with power and timeline info.?

I don't want to buy a BRZ to see an STI appearing the following year.

the more I hear about an STI model. the more it pushes me away from buying a first gen.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #120
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armythug View Post
the more I hear about an STI model. the more it pushes me away from buying a first gen.
I agree. I would buy a first gen and then just trade it in/sell it for the STI. But I don't want to hit the financial hit of buying it new and then driving it a few years with the depreciation at the other end. Would rather wait for more news on the STI version and go for that if I think it is worth it.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:39 AM   #121
Infernal
NO FI?! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: BMW e92 330D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
if people prefer a suspension set up on any other car - it might be cheaper to buy a set of adjustable coilovers than buy the headlights, fog lights, blinker (indicator) lights, buy the bumper, grilles, spray the bumper for a conversion

i'm not sure the people on this forum will in the real world be able to tell the difference though, unless there are more d1/WTCC/f1/test drivers here than i realise!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #122
bunny86

Drives: Starlet
The Top Gear Article(s) are in direct contrast to that of Evo magazine's in which they praised Toyota for giving them a free rein but slammed Subaru for restricting their test. At the end of the day the cars are 95+% the same with minor, mainly cosmetic differences so that the crap that some journalists come out with regarding which is best is down to their own personal bias.
bunny86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #123
Dragonitti
Banned

Drives: Boosted Scion tC, 350z
^+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post

Not very practical though.
Dragonitti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
86 review, 86 reviews, brz forum, brz forums, brz review, brz reviews, brz test drive review, brz test drive reviews, brz top gear, brz top gear review, brz us spec, fr-s review, fr-s reviews, frs review, frs reviews, scion fr-s review, scion fr-s reviews, scion frs review, scion frs reviews, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums, subaru brz review, subaru brz reviews, subaru brz top gear, top gear brz, top gear brz review, top gear subaru brz, toyota 86 review, toyota 86 reviews, us spec brz, us spec subaru brz