follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 03-31-2015, 05:35 AM   #29
Tbird232ci

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayJesus View Post
Yeah, that doesn't work with all police even if you're well within your rights. I've had a concealed carry permit for almost 10 years, and any time you drive through states with nasty laws and even with reciprocity, cops can and will abuse your rights. If you have out of state plates, you're a target. I got pulled over in Florida after making a wrong exit because the cops said there had been a lot of burglaries in the area and I had out of state tags.I explained I was lost and that I was also carrying with a permit (don't wawnt to surprise them), and those clowns held me for at least 30 minutes while they searched my car without consent and unloaded all of my magazines for some stupid reason. And thats in a gun friendly state.

I bought a couple cabled lock boxes for my cars from http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm . It's a neessity when you're doing interstate travel to be in compliance with the law. Unfortunately, they don't fit under the seat of my BRZ, which means I can't carry at all if I'm going to have to leave my gun in the car to comply with the law.
I'm not up on the interstate gun laws considering that I live in Maryland, and the gun laws here are a pain in the ass. Here, if you have a loaded magazine in the car, it's considered a loaded weapon regardless if you have a gun in the car or not. Essentially, here you have to have the ammo separate from the gun, which I would assume makes it legal for interstate travel in most states.

Sorry for the ramble, just speaking from my perspective.
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:09 AM   #30
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited Man., WRB
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids Heart View Post
If their was a good anchor point in the glove a cable lock would work. I wonder if I can run a long one under the carpet from the seat rail or something, under the dash to the backside of the glove.
I usually secured it to the seat rail and hid it under the passenger seat. If I was driving through a state where I wasn't legal, I'd remove the magazine and place it in the trunk or locked glove box in my old car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird232ci View Post
I'm not up on the interstate gun laws considering that I live in Maryland, and the gun laws here are a pain in the ass. Here, if you have a loaded magazine in the car, it's considered a loaded weapon regardless if you have a gun in the car or not. Essentially, here you have to have the ammo separate from the gun, which I would assume makes it legal for interstate travel in most states.

Sorry for the ramble, just speaking from my perspective.
MD has a lot of laws that are not in compliance with federal law for interstate transportation of firearms. Having a loaded magazine shouldn't be illegal as long as it is physically separated from the firearm and one of them is physically inaccessible while driving.

I don't know that anyone has been prosecuted for simply having a loaded magazine and gun separately in one car, but it could be overturned in court based on the supremacy clause. But who seriously wants to go through that? If you're driving though MD, there was also a huge scandal recently where they were pulling over out of state drivers with permits and seizing their guns, I would just stay the hell away from Maryland if you own guns and don't live there.
DoomsdayJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoomsdayJesus For This Useful Post:
why? (06-12-2019)
Old 03-31-2015, 11:30 AM   #31
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Very interested in a clean looking glovebox lock solution. I will be watching this thread to see if someone figures one out.

For those that work at sites that have a no firearm on property policy, it is not viable to transport to a lock box in the trunk and leaving it in the vehicle unlocked is irresponsible.
Some states have laws on the books that forbid companies from penalizing employees who transport firearm from cabin to trunk in the company parking lot in order to lock their firearm (with some extremely specific restrictions which are detailed in the law, not left to an unelected regulation bureaucracy). I know AZ is one such state, but I know it's far from the only one.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:33 AM   #32
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakelee117 View Post
Just checked a couple of pictures with brz airbags blown. It does come out through the top, sorry I thought it's from the trim piece. But one of the pictures I saw the trim piece flies out probably due to the collision?
It's a possibility, but I'd bet it flies out a very low velocity or not with a good deal of kinetic energy, else it'd be a safety hazard in the car and thus a big downcheck on any safety rating (or even subject to recall).

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
Old 03-31-2015, 11:38 AM   #33
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Airbag comes out through the top of the dash, not from behind that trim piece.
Correct! The area behind the large panel on the passenger side is cavernous!
You could hide a firearm, the manual, and (to quote "Adam Sandler") "You could put your pot in there"!.

In fact I wonder why the factory did not make the glove compartment 2X the size it is now by using that space.
And it would probably be easier to incorporate a hidden lock on that panel than on the glove compartment door.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stugray For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 11:44 AM   #34
Pkush

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Subbing. I want a hidden compartment. I got no idea what I would store there (I don't do drugs and I don't carry a gun), but it will make me feel like James Bond.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:01 PM   #35
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkush View Post
Subbing. I want a hidden compartment. I got no idea what I would store there (I don't do drugs and I don't carry a gun), but it will make me feel like James Bond.
Someplace on here (interior sub forum?) is a whole DIY for making a compartment out of the space in the dash.
Pkush (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 12:21 PM   #36
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Someplace on here (interior sub forum?) is a whole DIY for making a compartment out of the space in the dash.
It's also a neat place to put secondary gauges if you're into that kind of look.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
The Following User Says Thank You to SirBrass For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 12:29 PM   #37
Pkush

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Garage
Quote:
couldn't find it
Old 03-31-2015, 02:06 PM   #38
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkush View Post
couldn't find it
Could be buried in a build thread someplace. I remember It thought it was pretty cool but had no real use for it. I will try to find it.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:43 PM   #39
SWPinATL

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Airbag comes out through the top of the dash, not from behind that trim piece.
This was my understanding as well. For the record I don't condone doing this for various reasons. I was simply stating it as a possibility for OP in case he was unable to strip the lock from another Subaru.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:41 PM   #40
Kids Heart

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Some states have laws on the books that forbid companies from penalizing employees who transport firearm from cabin to trunk in the company parking lot in order to lock their firearm (with some extremely specific restrictions which are detailed in the law, not left to an unelected regulation bureaucracy). I know AZ is one such state, but I know it's far from the only one.
GA to my knowledge is not one of this states surprisingly. My job has fired someone because a firearm was visible in the car parked in the lot. I currently use a cable lock through the trigger guard under the seat to the rail.
Kids Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:59 PM   #41
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
Quote:
GA to my knowledge is not one of this states surprisingly. My job has fired someone because a firearm was visible in the car parked in the lot. I currently use a cable lock through the trigger guard under the seat to the rail.
Yeah, visible and unattended. I think it has to be concealed and locked away even according to AZ law (in order to have protection against employer action). What cannot be forbidden is possession of a firearm in the vehicle at all (some companies and landlords were doing this as part of the tenant agreement or part of the terms of employment, citing that they had the right to ban weapons on their private property), or action against the person if they are seen transferring the firearm to a concealed and locked location in the car (like taking it from the cabin to the trunk after they'd parked).

It's basically taking the stance that if it's concealed and locked in your personal property (and the interior of the vehicle is considered your private property, while the space its parked in is the company's private property), then action cannot be legally taken against you.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
Old 03-31-2015, 08:35 PM   #42
iamdaspoon

Drives: 2015 Subaru WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Link plz
iamdaspoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, glove box, lock, replacement