follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2018, 09:20 PM   #1
MaximS

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2017 Toyota 86 - 1 month of ownership CRASH

Yep, I know what you're all thinking. How? How is right. Well yesterday morning I woke up to some nice weather, thought I would go fishing because I had nothing else to do. Put the rods in the car and off to the river to cast for some trout. Well myself (obviously an idiot) had not checked the weather for yesterday, and had I know there was an ice storm warning I wouldn't have gone probably. I fished for half the day and wasn't having much luck so I decided to call it a day. Got back in the car to head home. So as I'm packing up it starts raining a bit, didn't think much of it, I drift the 86 in the rain all the time and feel very comfortable with it. But truth be told today I wasn't in the mood, didn't even turn traction control off, yes, of all the days I had driven the car like an absolute maniac it wouldn't be today I thought.

About 10 minutes into my drive my windshield starts freezing over, then my blades, so now I know it's freezing rain. I pull over to clean everything off then put the defogger on full heat full blast to keep the ice from forming. Needless to say I drove for 2 hours nearly killing myself along the way a few times, losing control on patches of black ice and occasional sleet build up.

I get into town, 5 minutes away from home after all that white knuckle driving. I come to a 4 way stop sign on a downhill slope, in front of me a pickup truck and in front of him a car. The car goes, he moves up to the white line. I start moving to close the gap and that was it, the car just starts sliding downhill towards my impending doom. I had about a full 3 seconds of being able to do nothing and screaming profanities as I watched what was about to happen, then crunch.

The guy was very nice, and (somewhat luckily) I hit him perfectly on the trailer hitch connect so he had no damage at all, and we went our ways. Tomorrow I have an appointment to get a quote for the damages.

Unfortunately due to the height difference my hood suffered too, I won't lie I'm not a hundred percent sure I'll be able to afford to fix it right now. So it might just have to go full drift car depending on how I feel.

Last edited by MaximS; 04-16-2018 at 12:34 AM.
MaximS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:50 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hi ya, MaximS and welcome to posting to .....The Forum ........

Too bad you slid into that truck ......

My browser can't see your pictures ......

Oh, I reckon it will fix up in time for SUMMER time driving.......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:54 PM   #3
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Bummer. Time to buy winter tires.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
guybo (04-17-2018), jbsali (04-18-2018), p1l0t (04-18-2018), wparsons (06-14-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 12:14 AM   #4
FLYFISHR

Drives: 2014 BR"ZED" Sport-tech DGM MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Sorry about your accident. I’ve DD mine for four winters and found you don’t drive on stock rubber until the average temperatures are an average of 7 Celsius up until then always on winters. Plus I don’t trust slip control (traction control) any more after a few incidents where my right foot would have been more effective that the nannies. Where were you fishing? As the trout season isn’t open until April 28, hope it way only at the river mouths as upstream is still closed.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:30 AM   #5
MaximS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYFISHR View Post
Sorry about your accident. I’ve DD mine for four winters and found you don’t drive on stock rubber until the average temperatures are an average of 7 Celsius up until then always on winters. Plus I don’t trust slip control (traction control) any more after a few incidents where my right foot would have been more effective that the nannies. Where were you fishing? As the trout season isn’t open until April 28, hope it way only at the river mouths as upstream is still closed.
I drove down to the Adirondacks in New York, ausable river. I'm working literally down the street from a border crossing right now so it's pretty sweet. 1hr45min drive and I'm on the Ausable.

Fixed the pics
The Following User Says Thank You to MaximS For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 12:54 AM   #6
FLYFISHR

Drives: 2014 BR"ZED" Sport-tech DGM MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximS View Post
I drove down to the Adirondacks in New York, ausable river. I'm working literally down the street from a border crossing right now so it's pretty sweet. 1hr45min drive and I'm on the Ausable.

Fixed the pics
Nice!! I fished Ausable once many many years ago. Most of my experiences in New York was on the Beaverkill near Roscoe and that was also many moons ago.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:59 AM   #7
Gehnecide

Drives: 2016 Halo Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looks like a write off... partout?
Gehnecide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:09 PM   #8
mabviper

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I do hope that you had winter tires on. All seasons is bad enough on ice but the oem summer tires are pretty useless in these temperatures, with ice nonetheless.

Hope you can get it fixed soon. It'd be a shame to not drive it in the summer.
mabviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #9
MaximS

Just spent an hour at Unitech Collision CSN getting a full rundown for an estimate.

$5500................ I am lost for words, I honestly don't even know what to do...
Old 04-16-2018, 06:36 PM   #10
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Just spent an hour at Unitech Collision CSN getting a full rundown for an estimate.

$5500................ I am lost for words, I honestly don't even know what to do...
Make an insurance claim and be more careful in the future.

Hopefully you don't have any claims for several years. Most insurance companies these days will forgive you 1 accident in 6 years if I recall.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:05 PM   #11
MaximS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Make an insurance claim and be more careful in the future.

Hopefully you don't have any claims for several years. Most insurance companies these days will forgive you 1 accident in 6 years if I recall.
Honestly I am very likely not going be forgiven. I'm a very new driver and the only reason I can afford this car is because of the stable payments I get for working in the military... I mean when I say I'm a NEW driver I mean it... I can't really afford having my insurance double on me...
Old 04-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #12
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Honestly I am very likely not going be forgiven. I'm a very new driver and the only reason I can afford this car is because of the stable payments I get for working in the military... I mean when I say I'm a NEW driver I mean it... I can't really afford having my insurance double on me...
Is the fender and headlight out of position? That seems like a high estimate to me for just hood and bumper cover and maybe even radiator support...
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:59 PM   #13
MaximS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Is the fender and headlight out of position? That seems like a high estimate to me for just hood and bumper cover and maybe even radiator support...
The headlight has 2 very small cracks on the cover, which I hadn't seen under the ice. One of the tabs that hold the headlight screwed in is broken, so he added an entire headlight assembly which is $1300 CAD (apparently, even though I'm convinced you can definitely get them cheaper or at least just fix the tiny crack in the cover and re attach the tab). He has the hood quoted for $751 CAD. He said the radiator support has been very very slightly bent. He listed the fender needed work, now the very very front tip where it meets the headlight has a spec of paint chipped off, but the fender is fully aligned and has no damage, however he listed a full fender remove and repair, garnish, mudguard, emblem, liner, etc.

Anyways, he has listed 31.4 hours of work. I'm going to get a few more estimates before I make a decision.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #14
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
The headlight has 2 very small cracks on the cover, which I hadn't seen under the ice. One of the tabs that hold the headlight screwed in is broken, so he added an entire headlight assembly which is $1300 CAD (apparently, even though I'm convinced you can definitely get them cheaper or at least just fix the tiny crack in the cover and re attach the tab). He has the hood quoted for $751 CAD. He said the radiator support has been very very slightly bent. He listed the fender needed work, now the very very front tip where it meets the headlight has a spec of paint chipped off, but the fender is fully aligned and has no damage, however he listed a full fender remove and repair, garnish, mudguard, emblem, liner, etc.

Anyways, he has listed 31.4 hours of work. I'm going to get a few more estimates before I make a decision.
Lol wow. Did you explain that you were paying out of pocket? Sounds like the shop was setting the price high as a negotiating position for an insurance company. Or thought you had $$$ and didn't care.

All those things are DIY-able if you are concerned about money.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote