follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-27-2017, 11:10 PM   #141
Robbie
In the slipstream

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I'm running TTD for the first time this year. The Rocky Mountain region isn't super competitive .
Ha!
Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbie For This Useful Post:
JoeC (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 07:49 AM   #142
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
Ha!
LOL, nice. Robbie and I were super competitive with each other last weekend. Maybe what I should have said was we don't have many competitors in TTD. This weekend we had no more than four in any given session.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat For This Useful Post:
JoeC (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:57 AM   #143
enivid

Drives: WRB JR BRZED
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
LOL, nice. Robbie and I were super competitive with each other last weekend. Maybe what I should have said was we don't have many competitors in TTD. This weekend we had no more than four in any given session.
Sounds like you have more than we have in utah then.
enivid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to enivid For This Useful Post:
Pat (03-28-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 12:33 PM   #144
lutfy

Drives: 2022 LR Defender, 2015 FRS_ST5/TT5
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstfnv View Post
tires for TTD base class are 245. I'm going with 225 and getting 4 points back so going down a class.
Bringing up an old thread. This methodology works (confirmed with Greg

I do have a question for you guys out there.

Anyone tried the MCA Traction Mod?

https://mcasuspension.com/traction-mod

Is it worth it (points to take)? My take is its relo of rear mounting point and can be assessed 6 whopping points? Wrote to Greg for confirmation. Checking in if anyone has tried to tinker with rear anti-squat.

On the fence with TTD....

Cheers,

Lutfy
lutfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:57 AM   #145
lutfy

OK am all set for TTE the following weekend at Summit.

Camber crash bolts netted me -2.4 front and -2
TRD Springs: +2 (obviously helped with the camber too).
TRD Swaybars: +2.
Azenis+ 215 tires: +2

Motul 600 w/DTC60 Hawks.

Maxed for TTE.

So it appears the MCA Traction Mod is hit with +6 (confirmed with Greg) since its relocating the suspension. Not worth it IMO.

NEED HELP:

No one talks about the final drive here. While modifying the LSD is +1 (which I dont have), and hence be keeping it stock, the final drive ratio appears to be free?

I am willing to junk the swaybar to gain +2 back and go with the ratio change worst case.

What ratio is preferred/tested/desired? I am leaning towards 4.56.

TIA

Lutfy
Old 05-31-2017, 03:04 PM   #146
enivid

How the hell are you in TTE? The car is underweight already for TTD and you have to take points for that or add weight.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2017, 03:26 PM   #147
lutfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by enivid View Post
How the hell are you in TTE? The car is underweight already for TTD and you have to take points for that or add weight.

215 tires vs 245 standard tires in TTD gets me down seven points leaving six to play with in TTE. It has been done before.

Discussed my points with the race director and its good to go! Will be at competition weight for whats listed for BRZ. Done right, this car can be plenty quick with minimal mods for TTE.

Plan to experiment with with this setup.

Next month will try RE71R for 4 points sans the swaybar (will keep data to see) and throw in a shorter final drive (free point by the way

Lutfy
Old 05-31-2017, 03:48 PM   #148
enivid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
215 tires vs 245 standard tires in TTD gets me down seven points leaving six to play with in TTE. It has been done before.

Discussed my points with the race director and its good to go! Will be at competition weight for whats listed for BRZ. Done right, this car can be plenty quick with minimal mods for TTE.

Plan to experiment with with this setup.

Next month will try RE71R for 4 points sans the swaybar (will keep data to see) and throw in a shorter final drive (free point by the way

Lutfy
I get the tire thing. Just wondering how you got your car up to weight...

Also are you still on stock lca's?

Old 05-31-2017, 04:16 PM   #149
lutfy

Quote:
I get the tire thing. Just wondering how you got your car up to weight...

Also are you still on stock lca's?

Am aiming for 2950 race trim which is myself in the car and 1/2 tank of gas. Not worried as unlike the E36s, we were actually penalized for weight to begin with

Stock everything except for camber bolts, subframe inserts, trans bushing etc (legal and free mods).

Of all the cars I have owned, I enjoy this the most on the track! It was meant to be a 'hey I want one of those for daily commute and then some' until I took it to the Glen for sh**t and giggles. Fell in love

Lutfy
Old 06-04-2017, 03:12 PM   #150
enivid

Do you not have any TTD competition? We have TTE cars that destroy stockish 86's.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:19 PM   #151
dradernh

Drives: Used to Drive:Grand-Am GS #54 E36M3
Quote:
We have TTE cars that destroy stockish 86's.
Miatas?
dradernh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:20 PM   #152
lutfy

Got back from Summit Point MA event this weekend. Was not able to TT as planned (instructor duty and couldnt get the check ride in time).... There was a very small group in TT and everyone bunched up to TTC.

Anyways, to say these cars our NOT competitive in TTE is well not true. Consistent 1:30s with a best of 1:30.2 in 90+ degrees. The Miata's which were not TTing this weekend were running 1:30s as well.

Observations: -2.5 camber is better than -1.5 I had at Watkins but could use a touch more. I'd like to aim for -3 when I upgrade the OEM suspension.

OEM shocks while OK on the street are NOT up to duty on track especially with TRD springs. This was a weak link as I would consistently hit the bump stops and you can feel the steering numbing down instantaneously.

I dynoed the car with "Dyno On The Go" this is the offical on site dyno which NASA MA uses (DynoJet) and its my understanding that our cars makes less on this dyno (good for us) and the Hondas (S2K) some how makes more. Regardless with an OFT tune it only did 164 to the wheels. To compete in TTD against E36s, its no wonder we are NOT competitive.

Edgar (won TTC in a BRZ on Sun) lent me his older Maxis. Car was 2.5 seconds faster right off the bat (235 tires vs 215 Azenis+ I was running). Since this was in the instructor HP4 session and not timed, I wanted to see the potential. Running on bumpstops got WORSE.

Next, getting a roll bar, seats and harnesses for this car along with battery relo at the back to shuffle weight for proper balance.

Brakes held up very well in this heat. No issues with OEM sysem.

Lutfy

Last edited by lutfy; 06-12-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:23 AM   #153
lutfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
Got back from Summit Point MA event this weekend. Was not able to TT as planned (instructor duty and couldnt get the check ride in time).... There was a very small group in TT and everyone bunched up to TTC.

Anyways, to say these cars our NOT competitive in TTE is well not true. Consistent 1:30s with a best of 1:30.2 in 90+ degrees. The Miata's which were not TTing this weekend were running 1:30s as well.

Observations: -2.5 camber is better than -1.5 I had at Watkins but could use a touch more. I'd like to aim for -3 when I upgrade the OEM suspension.

OEM shocks while OK on the street are NOT up to duty on track especially with TRD springs. This was a weak link as I would consistently hit the bump stops and you can feel the steering numbing down instantaneously.

I dynoed the car with "Dyno On The Go" this is the offical on site dyno which NASA MA uses (DynoJet) and its my understanding that our cars makes less on this dyno (good for us) and the Hondas (S2K) some how makes more. Regardless with an OFT tune it only did 164 to the wheels. To compete in TTD against E36s, its no wonder we are NOT competitive.

Edgar (won TTC in a BRZ on Sun) lent me his older Maxis. Car was 2.5 seconds faster right off the bat (235 tires vs 215 Azenis+ I was running). Since this was in the instructor HP4 session and not timed, I wanted to see the potential. Running on bumpstops got WORSE.

Next, getting a roll bar, seats and harnesses for this car along with battery relo at the back to shuffle weight for proper balance.

Brakes held up very well in this heat. No issues with OEM sysem.

Lutfy
After looking at data, video and post track analysis. Car needs better shocks. What was initially thought of having more camber (-3 wont hurt) with mid corner or at times (in slower corner) post apex understeer is a rest of riding on bumpstops. Getting used to it is another story but it takes the fun out of driving this car. This has been skull f***ng the s**t out of me (why of why didnt I have a kintting hobby?)

Ended up getting:

1) MCS Double Adjustable shocks with Vorshlag camber plates +3
2) 600/600 springs +2
3) I am keeping the TRD swaybars since most likely the stock endlinks wont work and I'd need shorter Whiteline end links +2
4) Tire rack has a sale on their light weight TRM 17*9 et45 wheels. Wrapped with 245/17 RE71R. I thought long and hard about getting these vs Hoosiers or BFG but challenge is I dont have a truck/trailer and can only carry one set of wheels (rain or shine) and take students out from time to time in DE4 (with permission). Plus intend to test/tune with the same set. +4
5) Shortfall of less potent rubber being compensated with front APR splitter +3
6) Rear GT200 APR wing +4

Managing the weight with a roll bar, race seats. Lightweight front batter and use ballast/spare wheel at the back to mitigate the front heaviness. Car ran REAL hot so got the Perrin oil cooler as well.

Dont have much power as evidenced, have the OFT Stage 1. Dont want to do any power mods (wish to run TT6 with 18:1 ratio) until the rules come out.

Total: 18 points. Leave one point safety for weight.....

Next event VIR in August.

Few questions:

1) What are you all running for alignment?
2) What is the ride height which seemed to work for you all?
Realize they will be baseline but I can take any assistance.

THANKS!

Lutfy