follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 01-11-2019, 10:16 AM   #57
Victorscp

Drives: 2018 BRZ premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
just hold out for the supra
Victorscp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Victorscp For This Useful Post:
SuperTom (01-12-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 11:33 AM   #58
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasaur View Post
rear wheel drive does as well as fwd with the appropriate shoes on.

This. It astounds me that people are wondering why their car has no grip on snow with all seasons or summers on. To anyone who has never driven on real winter tires, the difference in grip on snow compared to an all season is collosal.

RWD+winter tires >>> AWD+allseasons

AWD does not help you corner or brake, only set off. Proper tires do all 3.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 12:49 PM   #59
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuang View Post
A MK7 Golf .:R would fit the bill -- I was surprised by how capable that hatch was. So much faster and refined compared to my MKV GTI.

I bet boss lady would be happy.
Yeah my thoughts exactly! A while back, my friend asked me to do a track shake-down on his modified S3 (same platform as the mk7 Golf R) and it was way, way more capable than my mk6 GTI. Easy car to drive fast.

Doesn't seem like mk7 R and S3 get a lot of respect in automotive circles, but I bet they would surprise people how fast they are with a few easy mods.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #60
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I don't get it OP. Just buy snow tires on a second set of wheels. You live in New England, I thought this was basic car ownership 101 up there.

To hell with FWD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (01-11-2019), Yoshoobaroo (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #61
imped4now

Drives: '17 BRZ PP - '17 FoRS
I have a Focus RS and BRZ.....ask questions if you have any.

I'm looking forward to the snow this weekend to feed my RS some limited-traction fun.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:28 PM   #62
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,010 Times in 337 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
JR, thank you!!

I love the 'straight pipes' guys, but hadn't seen their RC350 review. That video has actually put the RC350 further down my the list. I agree with them that it's an absolutely gorgeous car, a bit of a more luxurious and powerful version of the BRZ. I like the AWD and the 'grand touring' nature of the car. But I don't like the overly finicky 'iPad' and 'slider' controls, and mostly don't like that the rear seat seems almost useless.

Victorscp, I had high hopes for the Supra. I hoped it would be a more powerful version of the BRZ. My interest in it started to wane when I read it was essentially a BMW Z4 with different clothes. The lack of a manual transmission takes it off the list (I'd consider a 'practical' car with an auto, but for me, a sports car just has to have a stick).

The Golf would certainly fit the bill for a 'practical' car. But, I've had less than fun ownership experiences with VW products (less than stellar reliability), and am also not a fan of 4-door sedans. Just personally don't like the styling of them, prefer the look of a 2-door. The 4-door is also why the Focus RS isn't high on my list (that, and the price of the Focus RS isn't exactly cheap).

I totally get it about dedicated snow tires. I'm originally from upstate New York, and grew up always using separate snow tires on RWD cars in the winter, and did just fine. I know that no all-season tires can come close to the traction of pure snow tires. Having lived for the past 30 years near Philadelphia, I found snow tires to be over-kill in areas with fairly light snowfalls (like I'm hoping will be the case in our recent move to the south coast MA area). In Philly, I found that snow tires were more trouble than they were worth. The roads were dry for most of the winter, and on dry pavement, snow tires aren't the greatest. Since I live in an area where I think snowfalls should be on the lighter side, I'm going to see if all-seasons (+ FWD or AWD) will be enough.

My thinking about a Civic Si has also become complicated by distasteful experiences with sleazy dealers. In the past week, I got written price quotes from 4 different dealers - and in each case, when I went to follow up and try to actually buy the car, I got the same line from each one: "Oh, we're so sorry, we made a mistake on the price. The actual price is [a number $800 - $1,000 higher than they quoted me]". Life is too short to put up with that kind of BS. What do these guys think it is, the early 1980's when they could get away with that crap with Hondas? It's having the affect of totally turning me off to Hondas in general.

Thinking about and test driving these other cars has done one thing - it's made me want a BRZ even more. Despite the engine being light on power, the pure, simple, direct, analog feel of the car is just so appealing. It's simply fun. Once I get this 'practical' car thing sorted out, I have to get one.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 03:31 PM   #63
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
JR, thank you!!

I love the 'straight pipes' guys, but hadn't seen their RC350 review. That video has actually put the RC350 further down my the list. I agree with them that it's an absolutely gorgeous car, a bit of a more luxurious and powerful version of the BRZ. I like the AWD and the 'grand touring' nature of the car. But I don't like the overly finicky 'iPad' and 'slider' controls, and mostly don't like that the rear seat seems almost useless.

Victorscp, I had high hopes for the Supra. I hoped it would be a more powerful version of the BRZ. My interest in it started to wane when I read it was essentially a BMW Z4 with different clothes. The lack of a manual transmission takes it off the list (I'd consider a 'practical' car with an auto, but for me, a sports car just has to have a stick).

The Golf would certainly fit the bill for a 'practical' car. But, I've had less than fun ownership experiences with VW products (less than stellar reliability), and am also not a fan of 4-door sedans. Just personally don't like the styling of them, prefer the look of a 2-door. The 4-door is also why the Focus RS isn't high on my list (that, and the price of the Focus RS isn't exactly cheap).

I totally get it about dedicated snow tires. I'm originally from upstate New York, and grew up always using separate snow tires on RWD cars in the winter, and did just fine. I know that no all-season tires can come close to the traction of pure snow tires. Having lived for the past 30 years near Philadelphia, I found snow tires to be over-kill in areas with fairly light snowfalls (like I'm hoping will be the case in our recent move to the south coast MA area). In Philly, I found that snow tires were more trouble than they were worth. The roads were dry for most of the winter, and on dry pavement, snow tires aren't the greatest. Since I live in an area where I think snowfalls should be on the lighter side, I'm going to see if all-seasons (+ FWD or AWD) will be enough.

My thinking about a Civic Si has also become complicated by distasteful experiences with sleazy dealers. In the past week, I got written price quotes from 4 different dealers - and in each case, when I went to follow up and try to actually buy the car, I got the same line from each one: "Oh, we're so sorry, we made a mistake on the price. The actual price is [a number $800 - $1,000 higher than they quoted me]". Life is too short to put up with that kind of BS. What do these guys think it is, the early 1980's when they could get away with that crap with Hondas? It's having the affect of totally turning me off to Hondas in general.

Thinking about and test driving these other cars has done one thing - it's made me want a BRZ even more. Despite the engine being light on power, the pure, simple, direct, analog feel of the car is just so appealing. It's simply fun. Once I get this 'practical' car thing sorted out, I have to get one.
the mk7 golfs are VERY stout.

The mk7 R is also obscenely fast with just a tune. I'd test drive one before dismissing it. Also not overstated like the type R.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:21 PM   #64
imped4now

Drives: '17 BRZ PP - '17 FoRS
If 4 door hatches aren't your thing aesthetically, don't force it. I would urge you to test drive an RS and Golf R but again, if they're not your thing, then that's the end of the story. They are both excellent cars, but they're not sports cars. My RS is a much faster car in any situation than my BRZ, but the BRZ is a sports car and there's no denying the positives that it offers over the RS - lower seating position, less weight, the overall "small/compact" feel inside (which I love), and little things like a central tach and simple, flat dash. The RS is an absolute monster, but the BRZ is a more "sporting" place to be when it comes to the interior, despite the incredible RS Recaro seats.

Go get a BRZ. Right meow.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #65
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
To hell with FWD

Damn right.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:14 PM   #66
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
The RC rear seats are bigger than in a BRZ/86.
So if the RC seats are useless (it really depends on how tall you are) then the BRZ/86 is just as useless.

Im a shorter Asian guy (5'-7") so I can actually fit behind myself with the drivers seat in a comfortable driving position in an 86/BRZ. Its a little tight with hardly any wiggle room but I don't find myself in a compromised seating position.

Theres more leg room in an RC, and it feels a bit more spactious but the RC has a pretty thick C pillar which makes you have to tilt your head to the side.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 12:16 AM   #67
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
What about the new Hyundai Veloster N? Under $30K, good power and torque, not really a traditional 4 door, 6 speed manual, good handling. I'd take one over a Civic SI all day.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 07:58 AM   #68
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,882 Times in 2,026 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
I found snow tires to be over-kill in areas with fairly light snowfalls (like I'm hoping will be the case in our recent move to the south coast MA area). In Philly, I found that snow tires were more trouble than they were worth. The roads were dry for most of the winter, and on dry pavement, snow tires aren't the greatest. Since I live in an area where I think snowfalls should be on the lighter side, I'm going to see if all-seasons (+ FWD or AWD) will be enough.
Pirelli SottoZero 3 winter tires are fantastic for dry and wet grip! Not as good as the best winter tires in snow, but way better than A/S.

South Coast MA, you'll want winter tires...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #69
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
This. It astounds me that people are wondering why their car has no grip on snow with all seasons or summers on. To anyone who has never driven on real winter tires, the difference in grip on snow compared to an all season is collosal.

RWD+winter tires >>> AWD+allseasons

AWD does not help you corner or brake, only set off. Proper tires do all 3.

Also the height of the vehicle is very important as well. At one point in time my Corvette was my only car so I had to drive it in the snow. Raising it up on coilovers made that possible. When lowered forget it, it turns into a snow plow and wont gain any traction
Old 01-12-2019, 10:16 AM   #70
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
What about the new Hyundai Veloster N? Under $30K, good power and torque, not really a traditional 4 door, 6 speed manual, good handling. I'd take one over a Civic SI all day.

This. Most comparisons have it going against the Type R as far as performance