follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-07-2019, 05:01 PM   #15
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
WTF?
I'm asking for clarification if not getting this recall completed would prevent one from renewing their vehicle registration in Ca. My wife has an older yaris that was affected by the takata airbag recall and I'm pretty sure I renewed the registration while the recall was out but before I got it taken care of.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:24 PM   #16
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
I'm asking for clarification if not getting this recall completed would prevent one from renewing their vehicle registration in Ca. My wife has an older yaris that was affected by the takata airbag recall and I'm pretty sure I renewed the registration while the recall was out but before I got it taken care of.

No. You'll be ok.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
DandoX (01-07-2019), eastendraceshop (01-08-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 05:44 PM   #17
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway7 View Post
At 145 000 miles, if the valve springs were defective they would have gone a long time ago. I would skip the recall, and keep the letter in case it ever does happen. AFAIK there isn't a deadline or timeline to accept your recall.
If that was true, then why did they make a recall after 5 years? Not all of the cars have such a high mileage, but most of them don't have a very low mileage either.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 06:52 PM   #18
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
are you sure this recall not being performed would prevent you from getting your registration renewed?

When that huge airbag recall was going on I dont believe I heard any registration renewals being halted for that not being done.
It's on the letter and in Toyota's system. It's because of emissions, not safety. Not sure how anal they get over this kinda stuff.

I haven't had a safety recall on my FRS performed without issue for a number of years.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:25 AM   #19
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
You know, the car was assembled by the Japanese equivalent of your local yocals right? IT wasn't assembled by some master mechanic with some level of Zen training. Just saying...

Actually our cars have similar mileage and I was thinking the opposite. This is a good opportunity to get a LOT of zero mileage parts on my car, particularly seals, gaskets and such. I would be more likely to NOT do this if my car had fewer miles on it. I would wait until I had over 100K miles then take it in rather than replacing relatively new parts that work.

Just a different way of looking at it. It's the same reason I had the "cricket TSB" done right before the warranty expired. I didn't need it, but it zeroed out my pump.
The Japanese equivalent of my local yocals? I would tend to believe that most of the car is assembled by robots that assemble it in a precise orderly procedure. And it's the only thing they do. My local yocals mostly work on Corollas and Tundra's. And I think that the more seals, gaskets and such that they touch increases the odds of something new leaking.
But that's just my opinion.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
clayrush (01-13-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 08:42 AM   #20
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
The Japanese equivalent of my local yocals? I would tend to believe that most of the car is assembled by robots that assemble it in a precise orderly procedure. And it's the only thing they do. My local yocals mostly work on Corollas and Tundra's. And I think that the more seals, gaskets and such that they touch increases the odds of something new leaking.
But that's just my opinion.
I suppose the engine assembly could be robotic, that had not occurred to me.

Primarily I just meant that assembling these parts isn't that difficult, its primarily just time-consuming and a matter of having the correct tools. Heck, reading through the instructions, I'm pretty sure I could do it in a fully equipped shop and I definitely qualify as a local yocal.

They are also requiring (or maybe its recommending) that it be done by an appropriately trained and skilled craftsman.

In the end though, I know different people have different levels of comfort with these things. In the end (at least in my case) we're talking about a $12,000 car at this point so I can only expect so much.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #21
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
are you sure this recall not being performed would prevent you from getting your registration renewed?

When that huge airbag recall was going on I dont believe I heard any registration renewals being halted for that not being done.

Guess I was way wrong. Notice says California owners have to get it done to be CARB compliant. Toyota is required to supply CARB with a list of cars not done.
So yea, it looks like you will not be able to register it you don't get it done.

I guess it didn't matter with airbag recall because parts arent smog system related.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (01-11-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 02:04 PM   #22
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Guess I was way wrong. Notice says California owners have to get it done to be CARB compliant. Toyota is required to supply CARB with a list of cars not done.
So yea, it looks like you will not be able to register it you don't get it done.

I guess it didn't matter with airbag recall because parts arent smog system related.

This is unfortunate, I'm not pleased with this.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (01-09-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 02:07 PM   #23
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Yep, guess it is not a voluntary recall in Cal.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:56 PM   #24
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Yep, guess it is not a voluntary recall in Cal.
Well there is the option to move to "the other 49" before you registration expires...

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:17 PM   #25
fx1mark

Drives: red 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
If you ever sell your car and not have had it done, It may turn potential buyers away as it would put having the recall work done on them.
fx1mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #26
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
^ ya, I hear that -

My 2013 FRS only has about 23,000 miles on it, and I'm not sure what I'm gonna do when/if I get a recall letter.

I looked over that post showing all the things they will have to do - and I ask myself, NOW, what are the chances of my engine surviving all that without at least a leak - ??

humfrz
I received my recall letter yesterday. I have about the same mileage on my 2013 as you, and undecided on if I'm going to take it in. So far it's been running great. If I keep it 10 years maybe I'll reach 60K miles. Drive it as much as I can but retired so only short trips around town and a few runs a year on the Smokies' back roads, i.e., the Dragon.
If I decide to take it in I'll give the dealership a few months or a year to get some experience doing the recall.
Yeah, agree, what are the chances of my engine surviving the recall work without at least a leak - ??
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RickyBobby For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #27
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
I received my recall letter yesterday. I have about the same mileage on my 2013 as you, and undecided on if I'm going to take it in. So far it's been running great. If I keep it 10 years maybe I'll reach 60K miles. Drive it as much as I can but retired so only short trips around town and a few runs a year on the Smokies' back roads, i.e., the Dragon.
If I decide to take it in I'll give the dealership a few months or a year to get some experience doing the recall.
Yeah, agree, what are the chances of my engine surviving the recall work without at least a leak - ??
Ya, I hear that.

I go back and fourth about having the work done or not.

On one hand, why mess with a good running engine - if the valve springs were that weak, wouldn't they have gone south by now?

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere on one of our driving adventures and the engine go bam! -

Or, get dinged on trade in because the recalled work hadn't been done -

Or, give the car to my oldest granddaughter, knowing that the recall work hadn't been done -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #28
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
I am seriously fucking livid about the California "you can't register it unless you have it done" bullshit.

Makes no fucking sense, let me sign a release form that says if the engine pops it's my responsibility because I didn't get the recall work performed.

I registered the car this year, why can't I register it next year? Nothing will have changed if I don't get the ridiculous valve spring recall work performed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
Ro_Ja (01-11-2019), Ultramaroon (01-09-2019)