follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-16-2016, 02:00 AM   #15
spicyricecake

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Performance Package
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
which part of fl are you at?
spicyricecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #16
FingerDiddle

Drives: Camry 08
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelicaJoe View Post
I'm in college and living on my own making $10 an hour, it would be pretty tough to manage a new car right now. I thought I could but I worked out all the numbers and I can't really take on that high of payments
So why are you willing to spend what savings you have on a depreciating asset?

I understand that being young you're also prone to stupid decisions but the wiser members here should be jumping on this post and helping you realise that you should put off the car until you have a better life situation, don't live outside your means.

You're still very young, you gave plenty of time to buy the car once you're better off.
FingerDiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:44 AM   #17
ARTBRZ
Aloha!

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm with @FingerDiddle on this. I'd hold off until you're in a better situation. At that rate your going to get it reposesed if somethings unavoidable occurs (medical, etc). I would advise purchasing if your your payments are < 10% of your income. As much as I love my car, there's always going to be a better one that will come out in the future.
ARTBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:41 AM   #18
Hot Wheels

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I feel your pain. I live in Kansas, and had to buy one off Craigslist just outside New York City! With some crappy cell phone pics and video, I gave a deposit and flew up there and paid in cash. It looked clean and not too fussed with, but after driving it back 2000 miles, I saw the previous owner lied about a ton of problems and I've been fixing the car since. Take your time and just stay away from most that look modded. This car is a magnet for idiots learning how to rice their cars.
Hot Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hot Wheels For This Useful Post:
SuperDave (05-16-2016), Tcoat (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 09:56 AM   #19
iggy

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Wheels View Post
I feel your pain. I live in Kansas, and had to buy one off Craigslist just outside New York City! With some crappy cell phone pics and video, I gave a deposit and flew up there and paid in cash. It looked clean and not too fussed with, but after driving it back 2000 miles, I saw the previous owner lied about a ton of problems and I've been fixing the car since. Take your time and just stay away from most that look modded. This car is a magnet for idiots learning how to rice their cars.
One way to avoid this, to a certain extent, is with a service called Lemon Squad. For a relatively small fee ($140) they will have an inspector check out the car, send you a ton of photos (I got 142 pictures), take it for a short drive and give you an overall rating on the car.

I did it with a car I was considering out of state and the report turned up a number of issues I wouldn't have known about until I was there in person. Saved me a full day of travel and all the money associated with it.
iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 09:59 AM   #20
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Wheels View Post
This car is a magnet for idiots learning how NOT to rice their cars.
FIFY
Old 05-16-2016, 01:11 PM   #21
CelicaJoe

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerDiddle View Post
So why are you willing to spend what savings you have on a depreciating asset?

I understand that being young you're also prone to stupid decisions but the wiser members here should be jumping on this post and helping you realise that you should put off the car until you have a better life situation, don't live outside your means.

You're still very young, you gave plenty of time to buy the car once you're better off.
I'm sure it's not the smartest decision I'll make, and I don't want to get super philosophical about my life views, but I've set up a pretty solid plan in case things get rough. I wouldn't be spending everything I have saved on the down payment, I'd be holding onto a year at minimum of payments that I'd dip into only if something unexpected happened. That's the primary reason I can't afford new, is the payments would be too high to keep that precaution. And I need to get another car because I'm met with countless issues with mine and spend more time working on it than is healthy.
I appreciate the suggestion! And I understand where you're coming from, but I also know when I graduate there's going to be more important things to be looking at rather than a car I don't need, and I also know having a coupe is going to be nearly impossible to rationalize down the line.
It definitely isn't a flawless decision I'm making, but I've been thinking what's the worst that can happen if I go through with it for a while, and it doesn't seem there's much that could really go wrong here if I follow through with everything.
CelicaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CelicaJoe For This Useful Post:
ARTBRZ (05-16-2016), Traffic (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 01:17 PM   #22
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm sure it's not the smartest decision I'll make, and I don't want to get super philosophical about my life views, but I've set up a pretty solid plan in case things get rough. I wouldn't be spending everything I have saved on the down payment, I'd be holding onto a year at minimum of payments that I'd dip into only if something unexpected happened. That's the primary reason I can't afford new, is the payments would be too high to keep that precaution. And I need to get another car because I'm met with countless issues with mine and spend more time working on it than is healthy.
I appreciate the suggestion! And I understand where you're coming from, but I also know when I graduate there's going to be more important things to be looking at rather than a car I don't need, and I also know having a coupe is going to be nearly impossible to rationalize down the line.
It definitely isn't a flawless decision I'm making, but I've been thinking what's the worst that can happen if I go through with it for a while, and it doesn't seem there's much that could really go wrong here if I follow through with everything.

He is right ^^^
Joe has thought this out pretty thoroughly over the last year or so and I am pretty confident that he has a solid plan in place. This is not a case of a student/young guy running out and making an impulse buy without thinking through the consequences and impacts to his life style.
CelicaJoe (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 01:40 PM   #23
CelicaJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyricecake View Post
which part of fl are you at?
East Orlando
Old 05-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #24
Spacemane969

Drives: 2013 ARGENTO A/T
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
It took me a year of relentless searching to find my used fr-s but it was all definitely worth it. Just download all the car apps(autotrader, cars.com, cargurus) and I would say after a few months if you're still unlucky then branch out to the fr-s and look for the monogram series to start. The scions are much more abundant. Good luck!
Spacemane969 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spacemane969 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 08:00 PM   #25
CelicaJoe

I thought about looking for a monogram, but I can only imagine how tough it would be to find one of those. I'm fairly certain I'll find something over the next few weeks, but it certainly is driving me crazy in the meantime
Old 05-16-2016, 08:19 PM   #26
lionbacker54

Drives: 2013 WR Blue 6MT BRZ
have you thought about ordering one? that's what we did for our highlander hybrid. just went to the dealer and specified the car we wanted, color, options, etc. offered $1000 over invoice. car came in three months, and we paid. not sure if subaru does this, but i bet they would
lionbacker54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:52 PM   #27
Side

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm in college and living on my own making $10 an hour, it would be pretty tough to manage a new car right now. I thought I could but I worked out all the numbers and I can't really take on that high of payments
Regardless of whether you're purchasing new or used, I'd recommend waiting until your car payment would be less than 20% of your monthly income, and you have a 3rd of the car's value in savings.

Just my advice.
Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:12 PM   #28
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I honestly thought this was a thread about how every time I walk back out to a parking lot, I have a momentary freak-out where I think my car was stolen because it's so low it hides behind everything.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (05-21-2016), Jaden (05-17-2016), Spacemane969 (05-19-2016)