follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-14-2014, 12:37 PM   #2675
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Another thing worth note:

When I was removing the supercharger, I noticed a few bolts were "tight". 98% of the bolts I could take out by hand extremely easy once broken loose, but a few I had to use the allen key on it the whole time (and of course, the harder to reach ones).

Putting the intercooler in and then reinstalling everything, the front retaining clip was not wanting to go on all the way. I finally got it on, but I had to push the retaining clip, pull up on the SC, and screw in the bolt. Yes The IC nipple was completely in and the o rings were fine, and it was installed straight.

Just figured i'd make mention.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:45 PM   #2676
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Drives: Toyota 86 Satin Pearl White
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
IMO get yourself the garden type clamps as mentioned, work well.

The clips you show, was for the pipes onto the radiator, the kit still supplied the clamps as in whataboutbob's picture.

Don't forget the coolant takes around 15 minutes to pump through, so keep squeezing the pipe to the front of the cooler to push out air bubbles.
Ryan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:52 PM   #2677
xxscaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan86 View Post
IMO get yourself the garden type clamps as mentioned, work well.

The clips you show, was for the pipes onto the radiator, the kit still supplied the clamps as in whataboutbob's picture.

Don't forget the coolant takes around 15 minutes to pump through, so keep squeezing the pipe to the front of the cooler to push out air bubbles.
Thanks Ryan, but my kit does not have those type of clamps. Innovate also confirmed to me that I had the right clamps.

I got 6 of the larger ones, then 2 smaller ones, and another set of 2 small ones.

Guess I'll grab some worm clamps though I don't want to.. lol.

Thanks for the tip on the coolant.

I didn't realize that one coolant hose (the top line off the radiator) has to be squeezed through a very small area between the ac condenser.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #2678
xxscaxx

Also, as recommended by I believe Bob, I checked my oil level when I had the supercharger on my work bench.

Didn't even register any gear oil on the dipstick. I highly suggest everyone keep an eye out on their oil level. I only have about 9k on my kit IIRC. Can't remember if I installed it at 15k or 18k lol
The Following User Says Thank You to xxscaxx For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (01-15-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #2679
swift996

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
Also, as recommended by I believe Bob, I checked my oil level when I had the supercharger on my work bench.

Didn't even register any gear oil on the dipstick. I highly suggest everyone keep an eye out on their oil level. I only have about 9k on my kit IIRC. Can't remember if I installed it at 15k or 18k lol
It's easy to check, sucks that it doesn't sit level in the engine bay though. I check mine every couple months.

swift996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #2680
xxscaxx

Yeah I know. Just was taken back how little oil there was in it, and Sprintex calls for a 30k service, and i'm not even at the halfway point of that.

I'm still bent out of shape about these stupid clamps. LOL
Old 01-15-2014, 10:32 PM   #2681
xxscaxx

First things first. FT86club, if you ever go down again...

I don't know who you are, but I will find you, and I will kill you.

back on topic.

all the larger 26mm clamps provided in my innovate kit didn't fit. I had to buy 6 new worm drive clamps (ugh) to replace them with. I'm going to call up Innovate again and let them know. I don't like using the typical hose clamp because they dig into the damn lines. Unfortunately I had to buy these since its all I could find local and had to get my car up and running again, and I won't be changing them to the pressure clamps like they provided even if I got a set because that means unhooking all the lines which I'm definitely not about to do (I hate coolant..lol).

Also, the smaller hose that goes from the coolant bottle to the top fitting on the heat exchanger is not the correct size. I got it on, but theres no way in hell its suppose to go on as tight as it did. I was nervous I was going to break the plastic fitting. I had to grease up the fitting to even get it on.

Getting the air out of the system was a giant PITA. It took me over an hour to get it out. Luckily Innovate gives us how much coolant needs to go in the system because I would have thought it was filled numerous times lol. Work all the hoses, not just the front one, and when you can't get any more air out, turn the ignition to on and let the pump run and keep squeezing, that seemed to help a lot at the end.

I should be getting tuned soon so I can't wait to see what I make on the 70mm pulley and most likely flex fuel.
shaunsweeney (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 10:41 PM   #2682
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
First things first. FT86club, if you ever go down again...

I don't know who you are, but I will find you, and I will kill you.

back on topic.

all the larger 26mm clamps provided in my innovate kit didn't fit. I had to buy 6 new worm drive clamps (ugh) to replace them with. I'm going to call up Innovate again and let them know. I don't like using the typical hose clamp because they dig into the damn lines. Unfortunately I had to buy these since its all I could find local and had to get my car up and running again, and I won't be changing them to the pressure clamps like they provided even if I got a set because that means unhooking all the lines which I'm definitely not about to do (I hate coolant..lol).

Also, the smaller hose that goes from the coolant bottle to the top fitting on the heat exchanger is not the correct size. I got it on, but theres no way in hell its suppose to go on as tight as it did. I was nervous I was going to break the plastic fitting. I had to grease up the fitting to even get it on.

Getting the air out of the system was a giant PITA. It took me over an hour to get it out. Luckily Innovate gives us how much coolant needs to go in the system because I would have thought it was filled numerous times lol. Work all the hoses, not just the front one, and when you can't get any more air out, turn the ignition to on and let the pump run and keep squeezing, that seemed to help a lot at the end.

I should be getting tuned soon so I can't wait to see what I make on the 70mm pulley and most likely flex fuel.
what did I say about air in the coolant..... Glad you on
Does Innovate send you a 70mm pulley for the IC? Or you putting your own.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:47 PM   #2683
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutbob View Post
I just wanted to provide some comment on the pulley stuff I posted.

I've been in contact with Innovate throughout the period of time when the pulley started making noise. In every case when I contacted them they were looking to solve the problem. Once we determined that a repack of the bearings wasn't the solution, they overnighted me a new pulley. I know of one other person who has had issues with the pulley and I suspect that given the type of driving that he and I do with our cars that we're pushing the pulley pretty hard. I am confident that Innovate will be working on figuring out what caused the failures and come up with a good solution to the problem.

FWIW, here's the bearing that comes in the pulley: Ntn 6203LU Single Row Ball Bearing: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

At $7.21 each that's not to bad of a cost.
@whataboutbob (or anyone else who has needed a pulley)
Did Innovate have the idler pulley in stock? I screwed up big time tonight. I received a new bearing, which I was going to replace the squeaky one with.

I tried popping the bearing out with a press, not realizing the bearing is recessed...held in by a lip on both sides. Unfortunately, I snapped the pulley in half!

I'm not happy with myself right now. I leave Sat for a track event on Sunday. I'm REALLY hoping Innovate has these in stock, so I can request a next day air shipment.

So, back to my question, does Innovate stock these? If they don't, does anyone else have them? Infamous? Anyone in the SoCal area willing to sell me one??

Thanks!
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:48 PM   #2684
xxscaxx

Quote:
what did I say about air in the coolant..... Glad you on
Does Innovate send you a 70mm pulley for the IC? Or you putting your own.
yeah it was a bitch thats for sure. I knew it would be a pain but I didn't think it was going to be that bad lol.

No I upgraded to the 70mm a while back. Its already on, been on there for a while now.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:05 PM   #2685
Ryan86
Road Warrior

I should have the 72.5 and 70mm Racseend pulleys here next week, want to check what difference they make.
Trying to establish what is safe boost on this kit, anyone know?..
Old 01-15-2014, 11:12 PM   #2686
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
installing the IC kit this weekend with @civicdrivr and possibly @Willsonk
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (01-16-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 11:16 PM   #2687
xxscaxx

Quote:
I should have the 72.5 and 70mm Racseend pulleys here next week, want to check what difference they make.
Trying to establish what is safe boost on this kit, anyone know?..
according to raceseng -

The 70mm pulley increases boost to 11.5 psi

The 72.5mm pulley increases boost to 10 psi

70mm is basically pushing this charger to the limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
installing the IC kit this weekend with @civicdrivr and possibly @Willsonk
Have fun. Make sure to check the clamps in case you need to run to the store to buy new ones. Get your hands ready to burp the system too. No joke my hands were killing me after
whataboutbob (01-16-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 11:45 PM   #2688
Ryan86
Road Warrior

That's why I'm wondering if you have actually tested your boost with 70mm with the IC kit you may find you get more boost. Kits are the same so I not sure why I would get 12 psi and you 8 psi with a 75mm

I'm getting .7 bar 12 psi on 75mm
Hence I want to do the trial to see what I get with the smaller pulleys and do it on the dyno to see the gains achieved.

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.