follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 06-22-2017, 11:47 AM   #15
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Depending on which day of the week i'll be down. Prefer it to be wet skid pad as i dont want to wear down my tires that much.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #16
svolo4

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
Depending on which day of the week i'll be down. Prefer it to be wet skid pad as i dont want to wear down my tires that much.
With our power you won't wear down much thread there. I am going to speedsf drift events every month and 1 pair of new tires is good for at least 3 events.
svolo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:33 PM   #17
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by svolo4 View Post
With our power you won't wear down much thread there. I am going to speedsf drift events every month and 1 pair of new tires is good for at least 3 events.
Hmmm maybe i'll throw my stocks back on then
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Old 06-22-2017, 02:42 PM   #18
svolo4

Quote:
stocks will work just fine.
I'm running on 17x9 Rotas with 225/45 Federal RSRs in front and 17x7 RPF1s and some cheapest 215/45 Velozza tires that I got from Les Schwab for like 70 bucks each in the rear. Soft fronts are wearing out with same speed (or maybe even faster than rears) on the events.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:01 PM   #19
overlookedx

Drives: 2015 WRB Limited
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I would advise not to. You won't learn the limits of the tires that you DD/track day on, which I think is worth more to know. But totally up to you!
Old 06-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #20
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlookedx View Post
I would advise not to. You won't learn the limits of the tires that you DD/track day on, which I think is worth more to know. But totally up to you!
Well my new tires will be much grippier than the stocks so if anything i wont ever be driving up to that limit as a DD. I'm not an agressive driver at all.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:10 PM   #21
hpde_addict

Drives: '18 Camaro V6 1LE
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm reserving spots for @hpde_addict, @svolo4, @marusteri, and @xero404. Would you guys be OK with mid July? I think weekends will probably work best for most. Send me your email addresses over PM and we can start an email thread for discussion.

If anyone changes their mind, I'll just pick the next person based on who replied first. I'll probably go back to the skid pad multiple times in the next couple of months.
hpde_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:42 PM   #22
svolo4

mid july works fine for me. I would preffer weekend, but can try to do business days also, just need a heads-up so I'll notify my boss.

And BTW, I'll post possible layouts and videos from those layouts in next 20-30 mins
Old 06-22-2017, 07:55 PM   #23
svolo4

1) This is an easiest layout. I drifted it on my very first event on FR-S on a completely stock car. You are going downhill most time on this layout, so it's better for our underpowered cars.

vid1
First time drifting FRS, some super sticky rear tires (I think nitto nt05, not sure, got them with used RPF1s that I bought as a drift spares, almost bald):
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7UW-DA7RYE"]almost drift - YouTube[/ame]

vid2
My 5th event, I think. RPF1s with cheap Velozza on the back, 17x9 rota with Federal RSRs in the front, Tein Flex Z -2 deg all around, Megan tie rods (bigger angle), Tomei 2way LSD, PBM LCAs, Megan Toe arms, stiff rear sway bar, K&N drop in, OFT stage2, full exhaust (Tomei UEL, Milltek O/P and F/P, greddy Evo3).
Huge difference for same layout, but 90% of it is skill that I got over a year. I believe I can do very similar on a fully stock 86, it will be just a bit harder to do transitions with stock diff and suspension.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUKfC9t1evA"]Thunderhill skid pad with SpeedSF April 29th - YouTube[/ame]

2) This is a fun one, but you can hit a wall or go over drain grill and it rips off pieces of tires pretty bad

vid3
stock suspension on tein springs and stiff rear sway bar, stock catback, stock diff, OFT stage2 UEL Tomei, Milltek O/P and F/P
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgme2LHXQvc"]winter thunder - YouTube[/ame]

vid4
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJFLQKSuvbs"]Winter thunder with speedsf - YouTube[/ame]

vid5
Similar layout, but last turns are tighter, instead of donut, so it's more fun. You also start going uphill and to go through first turn entry speed should be at least 40 mph. Car had same config as on 2nd video

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53PkzHNgQqg"]One of my best runs today - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by svolo4; 06-22-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:37 PM   #24
svolo4

And just to be clear: those vids are my best runs and it's like 1 out of 10. I'm spinning out a lot, just don't publish bad runs on youtube, so I would appreciate a chance to do figure 8, clover leaf and other simplier layouts to train transitions from one side to other, because I really need it.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:48 PM   #25
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

I'm down if its on a weekend. Just let me know in advance so the lady doesnt plan something under my nose.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:12 AM   #26
marusteri

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpde_addict View Post
I'm reserving spots for @hpde_addict, @svolo4, @marusteri, and @xero404. Would you guys be OK with mid July? I think weekends will probably work best for most. Send me your email addresses over PM and we can start an email thread for discussion.

If anyone changes their mind, I'll just pick the next person based on who replied first. I'll probably go back to the skid pad multiple times in the next couple of months.
I did the open test at Buttonwillow last Friday, 238 track miles on max temp 108. I survived but I can tell that if we do the skidpad when it's very hot we won't get the maximum out of that day. I'll do ncracing on Jul 8 and 9 so mid Jul is probably ok with me. I'll need to find 2 cheap but not unsafe drift tires to buy before that.
I hope you guys are still interested to also do skidpad on rain, because we can get much more out of it for much less money. I would definitely like that. The catch is that we won't have advance notice, we can only schedule it the day before (after we confirmed the chances of rain are very high for next day). And probably needs to happen during weekdays because weekends are frequently booked in advance.
Florin
marusteri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:29 PM   #27
svolo4

I did a SpeedSF skidpad event last Saturday. It was hella hot out there, but with oil cooler and 5-30 oil engine survived it just fine. Car wasn't overheating or anything, but it was hard for myself to be out there in this 105-108 degrees heat. Two used and worn out stock Primacy tires (I think about 1/32 or even less) were good for drifting on dry surface since 9 AM till 3.30 when I blew up one of them. I had plenty of seat time (my gopro ran out of space at ~3PM and usually it's good till 5 PM).
Old 06-26-2017, 05:06 PM   #28
hpde_addict

Drives: '18 Camaro V6 1LE
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marusteri View Post
I did the open test at Buttonwillow last Friday, 238 track miles on max temp 108. I survived but I can tell that if we do the skidpad when it's very hot we won't get the maximum out of that day. I'll do ncracing on Jul 8 and 9 so mid Jul is probably ok with me. I'll need to find 2 cheap but not unsafe drift tires to buy before that.
I hope you guys are still interested to also do skidpad on rain, because we can get much more out of it for much less money. I would definitely like that. The catch is that we won't have advance notice, we can only schedule it the day before (after we confirmed the chances of rain are very high for next day). And probably needs to happen during weekdays because weekends are frequently booked in advance.
Florin
Quote:
Originally Posted by svolo4 View Post
I did a SpeedSF skidpad event last Saturday. It was hella hot out there, but with oil cooler and 5-30 oil engine survived it just fine. Car wasn't overheating or anything, but it was hard for myself to be out there in this 105-108 degrees heat. Two used and worn out stock Primacy tires (I think about 1/32 or even less) were good for drifting on dry surface since 9 AM till 3.30 when I blew up one of them. I had plenty of seat time (my gopro ran out of space at ~3PM and usually it's good till 5 PM).
If anyone wants to drop out due to hot weather, NP for me. I'm going anyways and will definitely want to go again when the weather is nicer or its raining.

What do you guys think of July 15 or 16?
hpde_addict is offline   Reply With Quote