follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
Mburolla

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to drive on a road coarse?

Can anybody provide some basic guidelines or links regarding how to drive the FR-S around a road coarse? The only thing I've heard is that you should brake BEFORE the turn and not brake and turn at the same time. Is this really true?
Mburolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mburolla View Post
Can anybody provide some basic guidelines or links regarding how to drive the FR-S around a road coarse? The only thing I've heard is that you should brake BEFORE the turn and not brake and turn at the same time. Is this really true?
There's a ton of help/text out on the internet to read, but IMO, the best thing you can do is just go in with an open head prepared to learn. Acknowledge that you don't know anything and listen to your instructor. If there really is such a thing as the "best driver in the world" then that means everyone else is the world is doing it WRONG

For novices, I would never suggest trail braking, so for now, complete your braking before you turn. Later you can carry braking into a turn, but that's not something you want to worry/think about in your first event IMO.

Concentrate on driving smooth, learning the line, being consistent and be aware of what's around you at all times. Look far ahead and check mirrors, etc. Technique will change over time, but the basics won't.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
ill86 (08-20-2012), ultra (08-13-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Make sure you have the right brake pads and fluid before you go. Also having good tires for the road course makes things safer and easier to have fun. If you're not sure what speed you can enter a corner, do 100% braking in a straight line before you can safely negotiate the corner. Gassing should always be progressive. The more you steer, the less you're on the gas/brakes, the less you steer, the more you're on the gas/brakes. Also, always try to use as much of the track width as you can. Remember to be safe and you'll be okay. This car is very safe, capable, and easy to drive. Have fun out there!

There has been a lot of talk about how much "looser" the rear end is on the FRS. For the BRZ, more trail braking and throttle modulation are required to get the car to rotate better. Perhaps the FRS is the better balance. Either way, slow in, fast out for a little bit before you get more comfortable out on the track!
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
ultra
Curious cat.

Drives: 86 GT base M/T - Red
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
There's is absolutely no substitute for getting yourself out to an HPDE in the flesh and getting yourself an instructor. There is simply no way to 'tell' or describe to somebody how to drive properly on a circuit in words. It's something you learn by doing, and it's a rewarding lifelong journey.

Best book I've read about circuit driving techniques is Skip Barber's 'Going Faster'. Definitely worth a read.

If you ever do find yourself out on a circuit without any instruction, just 'follow the cones' and gradually establish your comfort zone. Most HPDEs will have cones set up at braking points, entry points, apexes and exit points.

Given that this is a RWD car, you'll want to focus on avoiding abrupt inputs, entering corners too fast and applying power too soon. That means braking (hard) in a straight line before you turn in, then turn in and enter the corner and slowly apply power as you unwind the steering after you've passed the apex and are headed towards the exit.

That's just the textbook version though.

Caveat emptor - each track and each corner is unique. So again, you really want a human instructor and actual seat time. You'll get much better much faster that way.

It may axtually be one of the wisest investment you make in your lifetime, I kid you not.
2007 Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS (sold)
2006 VW Golf R32 (sold)
ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ultra For This Useful Post:
ill86 (08-20-2012), nix (08-22-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
Mburolla

I've heard the term, "Slow in and fast out." I assume this means brake and downshift before you enter a turn. While in the turn, apply more gas and power out of the turn. Correct? Is it best practice to upshift coming out of the turn, or should upshifting be done while you're out of the turn?

I'm definitely going to keep an open mind and take some classes before I hit the track.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
Kido1986
Dodging cones

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 93 Z28
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Upshift after straighted out. Shifting upsets the car and if the car isn't settled, it can send the rear out (depending on how not-straight you are)
Originally Posted by mrbillclintong View Post
If you guys spot any riced frs/brz post them here just for laughs no hating please.
Isn't there already a thread like this? It's called aggressive wheels or summat...
C Street Build/Progress Questions about C Street Autocrossing?
Kido1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
Kido1986
Dodging cones

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 93 Z28
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
http://jalopnik.com/5917756/how-to-c...-perfect-curve
http://jalopnik.com/5919227/braking-...tle-techniques
http://jalopnik.com/5930557/why-you-...-to-drive-fast
http://jalopnik.com/5932857/how-to-d...dling-car-fast

Four good articles to read though when you hit the course, book learning will often go out of the window.
Originally Posted by mrbillclintong View Post
If you guys spot any riced frs/brz post them here just for laughs no hating please.
Isn't there already a thread like this? It's called aggressive wheels or summat...
C Street Build/Progress Questions about C Street Autocrossing?
Kido1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
Mburolla

This is a cool analogy:

Think of your car as a bath full of water. When you brake, what happens to all that water? It goes rushing to the front of the bath. As you accelerate, it rushes back. Then as you turn right, the water sloshes over to the left and the opposite is true when you turn the other direction.

Pretty simple, but this is the same motion the car goes through when braking, accelerating and turning. The load is constantly shifting and when that load is all on the front, for instance, the rear is totally unloaded. Our main focus for a turn is to keep the platform (or bath water) as flat as possible. When we brake, of course the weight shifts hard to the front. But by releasing the brake gently and consistently we can minimize aggressive weight transfer causing the car to get out of shape.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mburolla For This Useful Post:
ultra (08-14-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
CSG David

Quote:
I've heard the term, "Slow in and fast out." I assume this means brake and downshift before you enter a turn. While in the turn, apply more gas and power out of the turn. Correct? Is it best practice to upshift coming out of the turn, or should upshifting be done while you're out of the turn?

I'm definitely going to keep an open mind and take some classes before I hit the track.
You don't really need to take any classes before you hit the track. Any track organization with the right set of instructors should be going out with you for the first few sessions to give you an idea of track courtesy and rules such as how to let someone by, knowing the flags, spotting things all over the track for people/problems/grip, and checking your mirrors! On top of that, instructors can teach you when to hit the brakes, when to give it all the gas, and lines. Here in California (I don't know in other places), we have organizations that give you free group instruction before you go out on your own in the final 2 sessions of the day. Riding with an instructor will help you better understand your own car as well.

Happy driving!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
You don't really need to take any classes before you hit the track. Any track organization with the right set of instructors should be going out with you for the first few sessions to give you an idea of track courtesy and rules such as how to let someone by, knowing the flags, spotting things all over the track for people/problems/grip, and checking your mirrors! On top of that, instructors can teach you when to hit the brakes, when to give it all the gas, and lines. Here in California (I don't know in other places), we have organizations that give you free group instruction before you go out on your own in the final 2 sessions of the day. Riding with an instructor will help you better understand your own car as well.

Happy driving!
Most out here require sign off, not all students are ready at the end of a day, hell most aren't IMO.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
ill86 (08-20-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #11
CSG David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Most out here require sign off, not all students are ready at the end of a day, hell most aren't IMO.
I have to agree with you on that one. I went to a SCCA sanctioned event once just to check it out. The only thing I didn't like is how the students drove at the end of the day. It seemed to me they were still fresh and not ready to drive on a track, besides having a newfound respect of speed.

From what I've seen out here in California (I don't if it's the same outside of here), new drivers tend to ask the veterans for rides or to sit in their car. The S2k and Miata communities have been pretty good based on what I know. I can't comment on other communities right now since I really don't know. I believe the community for the FRS/BRZ will be good and we'll definitely be sharing ideas and suggestions to help each other grow as drivers.

Back to the topic starter, make sure to be smooth and have fun out there! If you're unsure, just slow down a bit more or let off the gas a bit until you're more confident in what you can do. Ride in someone's car if you can and you'll start to learn about some of the limitations of a car.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #12
icemang17

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I found Ross Bentleys "Speed Secrets" series of books VERY helpful..... there are lots of "sayings" regarding how to get around a race track fast....and most are true for most cars, most of the time.....but not always..... One thing that ALWAYS holds true is "smooth is fast"......

By far your best plan is just get out there, find a local track with a good club that provides instructors....just go and learn....don't worry about upgrading the car, just get out there........

Don't get caught up in the "upgrades" bandwagon....the best way to improve your lap times is by IMPROVING your driving....its much cheaper too..... The FRS is a great car to learn in.....fast enough to have fun, but not stupid fast with the high operating costs that go with it....

As you progress there will be plenty of time to upgrade the car as things wear out and your ability requires it....
icemang17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #13
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
load a game like Gran Turismo and get gold for all the licenses, this should give you the knowledge foundation that you can apply in real life.

still pictures and text can only say so much, watching things happen in real time is where it's at.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #14
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
I recommend you go on Amazon and buy this book. It breaks it all down and makes it very easy to understand.

rice_classic is offline   Reply With Quote