follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 02:50 AM   #3403
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
If you define an "enthusiast" as someone who mods their cars, then you are right.
No, I don't define an "enthusiast" as someone who has to / must mod their vehicle.

Modding is an option, not a prerequisite to then owning/ driving a sports car. 4cyl or 6cyl , I prescribe to the perspective of leaving the cars mechanics mostly stock ( minus the suspension, if you're trying to achieve something suspension wise (at the track, or even DD), but you're not toying with the mechanics of the engine). If adding FI to a stock NA engine ( not swapping out internals for something that'll take the increased stress of FI) decreases engine life, well that's a bummer
Old 08-01-2018, 05:13 AM   #3404
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
sorry for the late reply..long day ^^...but isn't working with another manufacturer and using their parts & assembly lines normally indications of this? We know how difficult it is for them to make a business case for these things in the first place.. Plus I would think if costs weren't truly an issue here then Toyota would be totally proud and happy to come out and say they are developing a manual too We know Toyota can come out with amazing stuff on their own so besides being concerned with the costs, what sort of benefits are there with platform sharing? I'm happy & ready to look like a fool if that ensures they include a MT
See that is just it. They haven't come out and said anything yet. They certainly have not said they didn't go with a MT because of costs. People just assumed it but then stated it as fact and it has been repeated so much that now it seems like the truth even though it is still pure speculation at this point.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:13 AM   #3405
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
*lightbulb*
Majority of market wants auto.
What I think we are seeing here is an example of the vocal minority.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:05 AM   #3406
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
CHIEF ENGINEER TETSUYA TADA, on working with BMW on the A90 Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_L View Post
No, I don't define an "enthusiast" as someone who has to / must mod their vehicle.

I always say you have two types of car people.

Car Enthusiasts: People are enthusiastic about cars. They like to look at them and they like to have impressive numbers that they can compare to their friends. They go to car meets and walk around looking at cars and talking to others about what they have done to their cars.

Driving Enthusiasts: People who are enthusiastic about driving. They will drive the crap out of any car you throw at them. Shifting is part of driving so if you remove that from the car they will be bored. They go to autox and track events and walk around talking to others about driving lines, braking points, etc.

You can fall into both categories but cars like the MX5 and Twins tend to attract drivers.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
krayzie (08-01-2018), Tcoat (08-01-2018), Ultramaroon (08-01-2018), WolfpackS2k (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 07:30 AM   #3407
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
I always say you have two types of car people.

Car Enthusiasts: People are enthusiastic about cars. They like to look at them and they like to have impressive numbers that they can compare to their friends. They go to car meets and walk around looking at cars and talking to others about what they have done to their cars.

Driving Enthusiasts: People who are enthusiastic about driving. They will drive the crap out of any car you throw at them. Shifting is part of driving so if you remove that from the car they will be bored. They go to autox and track events and walk around talking to others about driving lines, braking points, etc.

You can fall into both categories but cars like the MX5 and Twins tend to attract drivers.

Those are pretty narrow sub categories of the whole automotive scene. Many enthusiasts would have zero interest in doing either of those things and wouldn't give the cars we like a second glance.

There are:
Minivan enthusiasts.
Pickup truck enthusiasts.
Luxury sedan enthusiasts.
Hot Rod enthusiasts.
Low rider enthusiasts.
Jeep enthusiasts.
Touring enthusiasts.
Unicycle enthusiasts.

The list could go on for pages. To consider only a couple of sub groups that tend to agree with our point of view as "enthusiasts" is a trap.

I find it hard to believe that every single car at autox or track is MT nor that if it isn't then that person is "bored" with the events.

Last edited by Tcoat; 08-01-2018 at 07:56 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-01-2018), new2subaru (08-01-2018), why? (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 07:46 AM   #3408
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Shifting is part of driving so if you remove that from the car they will be bored.

If that is all it takes for them to be bored, then they are shift enthusiasts not a driving enthusiast. I enjoy driving pretty much anything, size, shape, transmission, engine size be damned. If it's got more than one wheel (sorry no unicycles here) I'll find a way to enjoy the experience of getting it out in its native habitat and pushing it.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-01-2018), why? (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 07:57 AM   #3409
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
If that is all it takes for them to be bored, then they are shift enthusiasts not a driving enthusiast. I enjoy driving pretty much anything, size, shape, transmission, engine size be damned. If it's got more than one wheel (sorry no unicycles here) I'll find a way to enjoy the experience of getting it out in its native habitat and pushing it.
Convince me you wouldn't give it a shot!

Ultramaroon (08-01-2018), why? (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 08:25 AM   #3410
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
I would not get "bored" if I had an automated system that could shave tenths off my shift times and allow more consistent and later threshold braking. I'm finding at some tracks I end up having to either give a quick upshift before some braking zones or let it hit the rev limiter. A manually actuated clutchless transmission that could do that in ~250 ms or better, repeatedly and reliably and smoothly, would be tremendously appreciated vs. me at probably ~500 ms.

I don't *need* a manual clutch in my sports cars any more than I need to have manually controlled ignition advance. But the positives (quicker shift times, consistently smooth downshifts in braking zones, not having to clutch all the time in stop/go traffic) need to outweigh the negatives (cost, weight, potential for not giving the "right" or expected amount of slip in stop/go, etc. etc.)

Of course it would be much better to have both available so buyers can choose based on their hierarchy of wants/needs...
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-01-2018), finch1750 (08-02-2018), Rampage (08-01-2018), rvoll (08-02-2018), Tcoat (08-01-2018), Ultramaroon (08-01-2018), why? (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 08:34 AM   #3411
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post

Of course it would be much better to have both available so buyers can choose based on their hierarchy of wants/needs...

Ultimately this is the best solution.
Dadhawk (08-01-2018), ermax (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 08:40 AM   #3412
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
I'm finding at some tracks I end up having to either give a quick upshift before some braking zones or let it hit the rev limiter. A manually actuated clutchless transmission that could do that in ~250 ms or better, repeatedly and reliably and smoothly, would be tremendously appreciated vs. me at probably ~500 ms.
I suspect in your example bouncing the limiter would be your fastest option. DSGs don't like changing direction. If you are coming up on a braking zone and have just enough room left for a shift from say 4th to 5th it will make that shift real quick yes. But then it queues up 6th when you actually need 4th again for the turn so you get to wait around for it to queue up 4th.
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
krayzie (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 09:18 AM   #3413
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Those are pretty narrow sub categories of the whole automotive scene. Many enthusiasts would have zero interest in doing either of those things and wouldn't give the cars we like a second glance.

There are:
Minivan enthusiasts.
Pickup truck enthusiasts.
Luxury sedan enthusiasts.
Hot Rod enthusiasts.
Low rider enthusiasts.
Jeep enthusiasts.
Touring enthusiasts.
Unicycle enthusiasts.

The list could go on for pages. To consider only a couple of sub groups that tend to agree with our point of view as "enthusiasts" is a trap.

I find it hard to believe that every single car at autox or track is MT nor that if it isn't then that person is "bored" with the events.
True there are many groups but we are talking about the Supra and the Twins. Ofcourse when someone says enthusiast in this context they are referring to car enthusiasts and/or driving enthusiasts. I will say it again. This debate started when I said cars like the FD, MX5, Twins, 240SX, S2000, ect need to stay around to preserve the MT. Those are all the types of cars that attract driving enthusiasts. Driving enthusiasts will drive almost anything you throw at them as long as it's a challenge. MT adds to the challenge. Okay so you don't "need" a MT but it's preferred. You are right that not everyone at an autox has a manual. But most do I would say. I will get a headcount at the next event I go to just out of curiosity.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (08-01-2018), Tcoat (08-01-2018), Ultramaroon (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 09:35 AM   #3414
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
DSGs don't like changing direction. If you are coming up on a braking zone and have just enough room left for a shift from say 4th to 5th it will make that shift real quick yes. But then it queues up 6th when you actually need 4th again for the turn so you get to wait around for it to queue up 4th.
I don't think you can lump all automated transmissions into the same "DSG" category. I don't think they all need to have the next gearchange up or down queued up in advance. Also, I would bet some automated gearboxes are already configured to "learn" tracks and "know" what gear changes are coming up next. If that doesn't exist now it will soon. And for sure if you get on the brakes it's not a huge leap for AI to deduce that the next gearchange will be "down", or that if you stay on the gas and speed continues to climb that the next change will be "up".
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 10:02 AM   #3415
Tcoat

Quote:
True there are many groups but we are talking about the Supra and the Twins. Ofcourse when someone says enthusiast in this context they are referring to car enthusiasts and/or driving enthusiasts. I will say it again. This debate started when I said cars like the FD, MX5, Twins, 240SX, S2000, ect need to stay around to preserve the MT. Those are all the types of cars that attract driving enthusiasts. Driving enthusiasts will drive almost anything you throw at them as long as it's a challenge. MT adds to the challenge. Okay so you don't "need" a MT but it's preferred. You are right that not everyone at an autox has a manual. But most do I would say. I will get a headcount at the next event I go to just out of curiosity.
If you want to narrow it down to autox and track enthusiasts I can agree. That is probably someplace around 5% of the owners of the cars you listed though. The car/driving enthusiasts that own the bulk of your list have never even considered hitting a track and never will. They can still enjoy the cars or driving them regardless of transmission type. The "challenge" of driving MT is your (and many others) personal preference but should not be extended to all drivers.
Rampage (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 10:38 AM   #3416
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Convince me you wouldn't give it a shot!
Well, OK, those I would, and admittedly I was referring to the pedal kind and did think about these later thinking someone is going to call me out on those. Thanks for not disappointing.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-01-2018)

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose