follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #57
Jeff@Racer X Fab

Drives: Subaru BRZ, Toyota MR2 Turbo
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
@RacerX
Sorry for the bump.
Any progress to report?
We are building oil pans for inventory now, and shipping pans for those that are test fitting with aftermarket exhaust manifolds and turbo kits. Here are a few more pics of the completed pan and our pressure check/leak check fixture.

We will be listing the new oil pans on our website this week. For those that are interested we are still offering a 25% discount for aftermarket exhaust headers and turbo kits to confirm fitment.

Jeff@Racer X Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff@Racer X Fab For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (03-10-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #58
TwinturboCamry
Banned

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Why no baffles?
TwinturboCamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:09 AM   #59
Jeff@Racer X Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinturboCamry View Post
Why no baffles?
Baffles are built into the pan, we also form the baffle plate down to trap the oil by the pick up.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #60
1BadFA20

Drives: '92 GS-R, '02 RSX-S, '14 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Interested in this w/ a baffle. Installing on a brz w/fa20club uel header with turbo. Pm please.
PTE 5758, Turbosmart, JDL, Perrin, Tein, Rays Gramlights, Sumitomo, Raceseng, Beatrush, Buddy Club, Valenti, DSS, Act, Cartboy, Mtec, APR, Beatsonic, FA20CLUB, Radium, JPM Coachworks, VIS, Recaro, IAG, Cleib, Nameless, Zele

Coming soon: Garage Vary, Cleib, Cravenspeed, VEI
1BadFA20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:34 AM   #61
Jeff@Racer X Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadFA20 View Post
Interested in this w/ a baffle. Installing on a brz w/fa20club uel header with turbo. Pm please.
PM sent.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:15 AM   #62
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx1715 View Post
PM sent.
If you send me a PM does that mean I will get it in the afternoon?

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:03 AM   #63
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Drives: 35 characters is not enough
Thanked 1,259 Times in 717 Posts
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I'll be putting on the nameless header in a few weeks, I could probably test fitment.
Decay107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #64
jx86

Drives: -
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Curious to know if this will work with the Greddy turbo kit...
jx86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #65
steveoexige

Drives: UK GT86 in White with alcantara
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Email sent

Hi Jeff, email sent to see if you want me to test fit this against the new JDL turbo kit on my car.
steveoexige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:10 AM   #66
Pitman
Living the dream

Drives: Fensport AVO Turbo GT86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
@racerx1715 @DesertFrs

Has a fitment been confirmed yet with the AVO turbo kit?
Pitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #67
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Just a question, what's the size of the oil return plug? My JDL turbo kit came with a weld-in return with a push-on fitting which I think is -8AN, so I need to buy a male to barbed fitting to put in the oil pan.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:06 PM   #68
steveoexige

Drives: UK GT86 in White with alcantara
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
^^ This

Thanks for the tracking number Jeff. Mine will be fitted by the weekend all being good!
steveoexige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:08 PM   #69
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Just some considerations.

A) baffles work really well as trap doors as opposed to static (unmoving) plates. The baffling in this design looks like might only stave off the slosh temporarily but not remedy starvation in high-G-load, long-duration sweepers. Will be curious how testing goes.

B) Just adding oil capacity will not improve oil cooling it just "delays" temperature stabilization. This is a common misconception. Oil will still reach it's stabilized temperature but just take longer to do so. To get oil to 'cool better' it needs something to facilitate that like a heat-shielded pan, cooling fins on the pan or a remote oil cooler.

C) Cooling fins on the pan may not work well on this car. They probably would but just as a thought exercise... Cooling fins work by increasing surface area as air flows over it, we all get that but on this car 2 things exist that don't on most other cars 1) our header which gets very hot surrounds our oil pan on both sides and 2) the undertrays on this car may restrict air passing over the bottom of the pan. I say "may" because I cannot confirm this and am assuming so to say this: With a hot header surrounding the pan on 2 sides and a possible reduction of airflow over the pan due to underbody panels, then adding fins (increased surface area) could have the opposite effect of cooling fins if the surrounding radiant temps are greater than the pan itself.

D) I'd like to see swing-door or trap-door type baffles that are more restrictive to slosh. They would both swing inwards toward the pump but not outward away from the pump and be closer (almost flush) with the sidewalls so oil don't flow around the doors during cornering and is held at the pickup. As for keeping the heat out of the pan I'd like see some type of heat shield for the areas closest to the headers. It's not too important though, one could always wrap their headers or put heat reflective material on the pan.

Good work, good thread. Thanks for posting.

Last edited by rice_classic; 05-14-2014 at 06:49 PM.
rice_classic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rice_classic For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (05-14-2014), Jeff@Racer X Fab (05-15-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #70
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Just some considerations.

A) baffles work really well as trap doors as opposed to static (unmoving) plates. The baffling in this design looks like might only stave off the slosh temporarily not remedy starvation in high-G-load long-duration sweepers. Will be curious how testing goes.

B) Just adding oil capacity will not improve oil cooling it just "delays" temperature stabilization. This is a common misconception. Oil will still reach it's stabilized temperature but just take longer to do so. To get oil to 'cool better' it needs something to facilitate that like a heat-shielded pan, cooling fins on the pan or a remote oil cooler.

C) Cooling fins on the pan may not work well on this car. They probably would but just as a though exercise... Cooling fins work by increasing surface area as air flows over it, we all get that but on this car 2 things exist that don't on most other cars 1) our header which gets very hot surrounds our oil pan on both sides and 2) the undertrays on this car may restrict air passing over the bottom of the pan. I say "may" because I cannot confirm this and am assuming so to say this: With a hot header surrounding the pan on 2 sides and a possible reduction of airflow over the pan due to underbody panels, then adding fins (increased surface area) could have the opposite effect of cooling fins if the surrounding radiant temps are greater than the pan itself.

D) I'd like to see swing-door or trap-door type baffles that are more restrictive to slosh. They would both swing inwards toward the pump but not outward away from the pump and be closer (almost flush) with the sidewalls so oil don't flow around the doors during cornering and is held at the pickup. As for keeping the heat out of the pan I'd like see some type of heat shield for the areas closest to the headers. It's not too important though, one could always wrap their headers or put heat reflective material on the pan.

Good work, good thread. Thanks for posting.
This pan doesn't have fins, I believe the FBM cast pan does. I also don't think it would make a ton of difference on this car, there isn't really good airflow in that area anyways.

I plan on applying gold reflective tape to the pan. People are having issues with melting motor mounts with FI... Going to try to do all I can to protect the components around the header and down pipe.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote