follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-04-2014, 11:46 PM   #1
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ECM Pin Connector

I'm looking to add a pin connector to one of the ECM harness sockets on my FR-S to pull RPM signal. I have read that the signal can be pulled from A35-15, yet for the USDM Scion FR-S, that location doesn't have a metal connector in that location (it's empty). I need to add a pin connector it seems.

Can anyone please tell me what size connector I will need to purchase that would properly fit? I'm practically clueless when it comes to this electrical stuff.
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:00 AM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleisbest View Post
I'm looking to add a pin connector to one of the ECM harness sockets on my FR-S to pull RPM signal. I have read that the signal can be pulled from A35-15, yet for the USDM Scion FR-S, that location doesn't have a metal connector in that location (it's empty). I need to add a pin connector it seems.

Can anyone please tell me what size connector I will need to purchase that would properly fit? I'm practically clueless when it comes to this electrical stuff.
What do you need rpm signal for ? if it for a display you can do it via obd port and a $15 blutooth adapter and some free software
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
simpleisbest (10-05-2014)
Old 10-05-2014, 01:02 AM   #3
fatalelement

Drives: 2015 FR-S (Halo)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
What do you need rpm signal for ? if it for a display you can do it via obd port and a $15 blutooth adapter and some free software
+1 I love my OBDII Bluetooth, I use torque on my android and it's completely realtime. Only downside is if you have high rate polling, you can't stream music to the head unit at the same time it gets jittery cause torque traffic has priority.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
fatalelement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #4
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
I'm installing a shift buzzer to help me keep out of fuel cut. The stock one is too quiet at racing speeds with the window open.
If there was a BT solution that would be awesome, but it seems that I need a real tach signal. With our CANBus systems, it seems that there are limited options. The A35-15 pin is located on the ECM (A35 plug is the 3rd plug from the top). It seems the slot is empty for the FR-S. There is a wire for BRZ with keyless, though. All I need to do is put a connector in that open slot and I will be able to pull the tach signal, it seems...
Old 10-06-2014, 11:28 PM   #5
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm installing a shift buzzer to help me keep out of fuel cut. The stock one is too quiet at racing speeds with the window open.
If there was a BT solution that would be awesome, but it seems that I need a real tach signal. With our CANBus systems, it seems that there are limited options. The A35-15 pin is located on the ECM (A35 plug is the 3rd plug from the top). It seems the slot is empty for the FR-S. There is a wire for BRZ with keyless, though. All I need to do is put a connector in that open slot and I will be able to pull the tach signal, it seems...
Have you seen these OBD Head up displays with speed and shift alert, should be a plug and play option for what you want, just check with seller its actually and RPM alert.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ifound-2n...item5d44202269

The information screen displays:
1. Speed: The number can indicate the current speed.
2. Rotation speed: indicates the rotating status of the engine and the scale measured represents the speed reached.
3. Water temperature: When the temperature reaches 100 degree centigrade, alarm will be given automatically with alarm light on.
4. Gear shifting reminding: It will remind the driver to gear up to save fuel when the engine speed and vehicle speed come to a certain ratio.
5. Overspeed reminding: the icon of overspeed will flicker and alarm when the vehicle exceeds the speed limit set up in advance.
6. Real-time one hundred kilometer/instantaneous fuel consumption: display fuel consumption of one hundred kilometers when the vehicle is moving, in L/100km.
7. Unit of kilometer/miles: in the international system of units, kilometer/hour & mile/hour are commonly used, in km/h & mph.
8. Battery voltage: when the battery voltage is less than/reaches 12V, the caution light will light up to remind the driver.
9. Buzzer mark: pressing the switch button can turn on or turn off the sound of the buzzer.

Or this one that appears to do tyre pressures as well

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HUD-Proje...item2592ac3de1
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:22 AM   #6
JP
Backyard Fabricator

Drives: JZX83, SF5 GT, ZZE82 turbo
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
seeing how no-one seems to be helping with your actual need, you can get the crimp terminals from RS Components online. I'm guessing if you use the Tyco part number you can find them at other retailers also.

The ECU connectors use the normal 025 and 040 terminals, pin 15 is an 025 size.

You may need to depin one of the existing pins to confirm the lock tabs match the datasheet, but this is the sort I see on the majority of late DBW Toyota and Subaru's with the 4 row header: http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-co...PSF_435696|acc

Tyco Part: 1123343-2

You can also buy repair terminals from Toyota/Subaru, but they're hideously expensive ($17-25ea for a single terminal crimped to a short length of wire)
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JP For This Useful Post:
kmbkk (10-11-2014), simpleisbest (10-07-2014), steve99 (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
seeing how no-one seems to be helping with your actual need, you can get the crimp terminals from RS Components online. I'm guessing if you use the Tyco part number you can find them at other retailers also.

The ECU connectors use the normal 025 and 040 terminals, pin 15 is an 025 size.

You may need to depin one of the existing pins to confirm the lock tabs match the datasheet, but this is the sort I see on the majority of late DBW Toyota and Subaru's with the 4 row header: http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-co...PSF_435696|acc

Tyco Part: 1123343-2

You can also buy repair terminals from Toyota/Subaru, but they're hideously expensive ($17-25ea for a single terminal crimped to a short length of wire)
Awesome information!! Thank you very much!! I may have found a resource! It seems that the kind folks at Autosport Wiring may be able to crimp a female connector to a wire for me. Then I would need to insert it into the plug and (presto!) pull tach signal...if it works, I will update this thread. I am sure there are other people looking to run add-ons that would need tach signal.
The Following User Says Thank You to simpleisbest For This Useful Post:
kmbkk (10-11-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 10:28 PM   #8
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Awesome information!! Thank you very much!! I may have found a resource! It seems that the kind folks at Autosport Wiring may be able to crimp a female connector to a wire for me. Then I would need to insert it into the plug and (presto!) pull tach signal...if it works, I will update this thread. I am sure there are other people looking to run add-ons that would need tach signal.
I'm interested in getting some wired pins as well. Let me know how it goes.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #9
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

I got the wires with the female connectors, unfortunately once inserted into the plug to the ecm, no signal was detectable with a voltage reader. I think the previous posts by others about A35-15 being a source of a tach signal are false....

If anyone has actually been able to pull tach signal on a USDM FR-S from this location, please let me know and I will try again!!
Old 10-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #10
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

This thread should help....

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28800
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:29 PM   #11
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post

That's the thread I originally referenced and directed me to A35-15 for tach signal.

Lonely Sushi claimed that he got tach signal from there, but we tried it here and no signal. Either his claim is bogus, or he neglected to add what other details he did to get signal. Regardless, I am not able to pull signal just by adding the proper female connector and a wire (as Lonely Sushi claimed). I even pm'd him for details, but got no response...

Again, if there is another source of anyone successfully pulling tach signal from A35-15, please let me know!
Old 10-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #12
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
That's the thread I originally referenced and directed me to A35-15 for tach signal.

Lonely Sushi claimed that he got tach signal from there, but we tried it here and no signal. Either his claim is bogus, or he neglected to add what other details he did to get signal. Regardless, I am not able to pull signal just by adding the proper female connector and a wire (as Lonely Sushi claimed). I even pm'd him for details, but got no response...

Again, if there is another source of anyone successfully pulling tach signal from A35-15, please let me know!
Why not try this other suggesiton

Old 10-14-2014, 02:34 PM   #13
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Why not try this other suggesiton

That's the Certification ECU assembly, correct? Non-existent on standard FR-S.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #14
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
That's the Certification ECU assembly, correct? Non-existent on standard FR-S.
I THINK that has to be the actual car ECU because those are injector cables, so all cars need them.