follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #197
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
haha It is a Dirty Dancing quote! I just thought I'd mix it up. That quote would fit, though, wouldn't it? Somewhere. hahaha

I always wondered about the credentials of the tuners that were consulted for modifying these cars. I remember watching a behind-the-scenes for Tokyo Drift where they tried to make the mods actual, working mods. Whereas the first two F&F they didn't seem to care at all, as long as the cars ran for a few seconds of camera time and looked good.

Justin Lin seems to appreciate SOME level of quality in his work.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #198
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
haha It is a Dirty Dancing quote! I just thought I'd mix it up. That quote would fit, though, wouldn't it? Somewhere. hahaha
What is this, the VW New Beetle forums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
I always wondered about the credentials of the tuners that were consulted for modifying these cars. I remember watching a behind-the-scenes for Tokyo Drift where they tried to make the mods actual, working mods. Whereas the first two F&F they didn't seem to care at all, as long as the cars ran for a few seconds of camera time and looked good.

Justin Lin seems to appreciate SOME level of quality in his work.
I think Justin Lin has used the same car guys for all of his movies, as I recognize the same guy in all of the behind-the-scenes DVD specials.

In Tokyo Drift, you pretty much had to go with high-powered cars to drift. It's not like straightline movie action, which doesn't always rely on the cars having tons of power to look good on film. But with the fourth and fifth movies not having that same element, they may or may not have still used modded cars.

The first two movies, on the other hand, had a lot of weaksauce cars (compared to what was being portrayed), often times not even the "good" versions of the factory car (i.e. non-turbo models when a turbo variant was available). But just be glad that Universal was persuaded by the technical consultants to not accept Dodge's sponsorship of the second movie, which would have resulted in the hero cars being Dodge SRT-4s (and not the Evo VII) -- I heard this straight from Craig Lieberman when I met him in 2008 at a GT-R meet.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeeezNuuuts83 For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (01-08-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #199
Gixxersixxerman

Drives: Toyota GT86, 66 beetle, 11 GSXR 750
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Craig lost respect from me when he turned the blackbird into that joke of a gtr in the second movie.. Luckly it was changed back, but still he ruined that car
Gixxersixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #200
Marcoscrdo

Drives: 13' DGM Built FBM BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Woman drivers...
Marcoscrdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #201
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxersixxerman View Post
Craig lost respect from me when he turned the blackbird into that joke of a gtr in the second movie.. Luckly it was changed back, but still he ruined that car
I don't think that was necessarily his doing. Remember that he owned the original Blackbird R34 GT-R (which was featured in Sport Compact Car -- I distinctly remember it having a mini-turbo as the oil cap), though he later painted it blue with some orange accents on it, if I remember correctly. Then they based the GT-R in the second movie off of his, with the same body kit and stuff, but they went with a different painjob, likely to coincide with the colored exhaust flames that were different from the other cars. (I believe he also owned the orange Supra that was copied.)

He told me a lot of other stuff (some of which was later confirmed on some online videos of people going over the original script for the first movie), and it seems like there were some people in the visual effects department who seemed to insist on going with certain visuals. For example, he told me about how the original script's race scene had the NOS tubes popping off of the bottle and spraying nitrous on the windshield and hampering outward vision, but the visual effects person said that they wanted to see "sparks" somehow, and the idea got canned for the weird instance of the floor panel somehow coming loose because of NOS.

That's not to say that Craig had zero involvement in things that ended up being kind of cheesy though.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #202
Jaylyons1

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ; 1993 Skyline GT-R
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoscrdo View Post
Woman drivers...

Jaylyons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #203
kchkwan

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
sooo... basically were gonna see 16 yr olds with mommy n daddy buying them BRZ's to wreck on the street after the movie is released?
kchkwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #204
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchkwan View Post
sooo... basically were gonna see 16 yr olds with mommy n daddy buying them BRZ's to wreck on the street after the movie is released?
Don't be silly. They'll get the FR-S and re-badge it to be a BRZ.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chanomatik For This Useful Post:
chenshuo (01-09-2013), jimmillion (01-15-2013), rapidcars (01-09-2013), [es vi: eks] (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #205
Dorb

Drives: 16 LM STI/13 LM BRZ/04 AVALANCHE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wow, had no idea there are 5 of these movies! I think after the 2nd one I lost interest. Did they get any better or just have a fan following - cash cow think going on?(like the Resident Evil movies)
Dorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #206
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchkwan View Post
Was that not happening already?
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #207
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorb View Post
Wow, had no idea there are 5 of these movies! I think after the 2nd one I lost interest. Did they get any better or just have a fan following - cash cow think going on?(like the Resident Evil movies)
The 2nd one was pretty bad... like a made-for-TV movie. But parts 3, 4, 5, and 6 were directed (and some produced) by someone different - Justin Lin. He effectively transformed the franchise (production and story-wise) for the better. That's why we see so many sequels carrying the franchise on for this long.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #208
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

I still watch Tokyo Drift. It's a guilty pleasure. I still say it works to have it after 4, 5 & 6 since the kids in TD are just driving "old" model cars to begin with. I would love it if they ended with Dom in Tokyo to complete it.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #209
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorb View Post
Yeah, the second one was by far the worst (though people who aren't really into cars or drifting culture will put it ahead of Tokyo Drift, likely because of it being about a more specific scene while also lacking the star power present in the other movies). But as chanomatik mentioned, Jeremy Lin (who has directed all of the movies from the third one onward) has really changed the franchise to the point where the movies make sense. Whether it's true to the culture or not, he's slowly started distancing the franchise from street racing, which helps broaden their fanbase while avoiding potential PR nightmares of allegations of promoting illegal street racing. But the success is there... the third movie didn't do so hot in theaters (but again it lacked the starpower, was about a sub-culture within the import scene that not too many people were into and also followed a really bad sequel that probably lost some fans), but it was good enough for Universal to re-hire Jeremy Lin for another film, which out-performed all of its predecessors at the box office, and the fifth film one-upped it again.

Oddly, despite the success of the later movies (with the fifth one typically considered as the "best" in the series), there's something about the first movie that was never captured again, as cheesy as it was. It just had a certain feel about it that makes me want to watch it over and over again. (The Fast and the Furious and The Dark Knight Rises are the only movies I have seen more than once at theaters.) Maybe it was the visuals, maybe it was the score by BT, I don't know. But also like chanomatik said, I tend to gravitate toward Tokyo Drift as well. It was the last movie that was actually about street racing, but it was done well while having good cars (most of which were decent and not goofy-looking, even in hindsight almost seven years later, which I can't necessarily say about the cars in the first two movies), good car scenes (as drifting is always cool to watch, and it was done with precision and not just fishtailing around like in most movies with car chases) and a bit more realism than in the other movies. Props to Jeremy Lin for his research in accurately portraying the drift scene (minus everyone using their E-brake to go sideways) and the Yakuza aspect.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #210
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
But as chanomatik mentioned, Jeremy Lin (who has directed all of the movies from the third one onward) has really changed the franchise to the point where the movies make sense.
Yap, chanomatik (not I) totally mentioned dat breakout Asian Linsane bballer.