follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-21-2013, 02:38 AM   #29
Noob4Life
86 Noob

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I know the feeling of bad tires on a FWD. I was driving through a rain storm last winter in my Jetta with bad rear tires. I hit some train tracks at too much of an angle and ended up fish tailing. Luckily the road was flat so I was able to recover/. Glad you're okay given how bad the accident looks and congrats on the FR-S!
Old 02-21-2013, 02:55 AM   #30
Gixxersixxerman

Drives: Toyota GT86, 66 beetle, 11 GSXR 750
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfusionpm View Post
Allan McNish's crash from the 2012 Le Mans is probably a great example of energy distribution/rolling reducing a crash's intensity on driver:

Another good example of energy distribution.. They both lived as everyone knows, but neither walked away unhurt.. Considering the accident great safety equipment works wonders too

[ame]http://youtu.be/zEUrEPPABbY[/ame]

Also my ex flipped this car 3 times and walked away with just a small cut on her toe

Glad your ok.. And welcome to FRS ownership
Gixxersixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:13 AM   #31
chuy21

Drives: 2009 Cobalt SS 373 FWHP 431 Lb-Ft
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Side note: why do the lights on the car in the GT video flicker like that?
chuy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:24 AM   #32
Gixxersixxerman

Drives: Toyota GT86, 66 beetle, 11 GSXR 750
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
If they are LED its because the cycle rate of the led is off to the FPS of the video camera.. At least something along the lines of that.. I had to google it because everytime I seen a video with led lights, it would always flicker or blink and stuff

Edit.. One of the answers when googling

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9003338AAsamhs

I can't find the site that went into huge detail about it
Gixxersixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:30 AM   #33
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Drives to fast for conditions, single-car wrecks tc, considers self "skilled driver". Goes from understeery tc to oversteery fr-s. Hmmm...

Get thee to some driver training, pronto! HPDE with known good instruction (on track and in classroom). Responsive rwd cars are very unforgiving of even minor errors in driving, and you must have committed major errors to get the back end of a tc out.
These kinds of accidents do not happen to "anyone". Judgement matters (avoiding trouble in first place), skill matters (getting out of it when/if limits are exceeded). Get some each!

Edit: some karting? Ok skills may exist. Judgement and equipment possibly need attention though!

Have fun w/ frs. Keep good tires under her! Drive carefully...

Last edited by ZDan; 02-21-2013 at 03:47 AM.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
WillBRZ (02-22-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 03:52 AM   #34
sho220

Drives: FR-S MT & FJ Cruiser
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
A beautiful car with all kinds of expensive mods and you wreck it because of bald tires?

I could be driving the biggest piece of crap beater on the road, but I guarantee it would have good tires on it!

sho220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #35
Orthow
Banned

Drives: 99' SIR Kswapped Racer/Showcar
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfusionpm View Post
Was a combination of sweeping turn, wet roads, and tires on the end of their life cycle. I'm usually careful and drive that route every day to work. I don't accelerate or brake through the corner, just coast through after lifting gas maybe 3-400 yds before the curve. I guess I had too much momentum for the conditions that day. Can safely take it twice as fast when it's dry.
Lift throttle oversteer? Sounds like it. That's a huge mistake for a FWD owner who considers themselves "skilled".

Also, paramedic was dead wrong or you misinterpreted what he stated. Going limp is how you survive - tensing up is what causes massive injuries regardless of how much you lift, bro! When you take driving courses they teach you what to do in the case of an accident and never once have I heard you should tense up.

Last but certainly not least - you knew you had bald tires and drove around in bad conditions and paid the price. You could have seriously injured some one else on the roads - not good.

IMHO you got what you deserved. Lucky it was only a single car accident and you didn't hurt anyone else. You are not as skilled as you think and you paid for it. Call me a hater or an infamous FT86 "troll" but if you were my friend I would tell you all the same shit in person. I value life.

I don't think you should get an FRS - enough idiots have written them off with only FWD experience and you already wrote off a FWD in a rear breaking loose incident. Doesn't look good for your future.
Orthow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Orthow For This Useful Post:
WillBRZ (02-22-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #36
cfusionpm

Drives: Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orthow View Post
Lift throttle oversteer? Sounds like it. That's a huge mistake for a FWD owner who considers themselves "skilled".
Its how I've taken that same turn for nearly 10 years. Combination of bald tires and oily-slick rain caused it to slip. Yes, I could have slowed down more, but I had already slowed below 45mph and I usually take that turn at 70.

http://goo.gl/maps/jN5uM
cfusionpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #37
zaptorque

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
Good to hear your okay.

But the real question is, is the FRS really safer then the tC?
than*
zaptorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #38
zaptorque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxersixxerman View Post
Glad your ok.. And welcome to FRS ownership
you're*
Old 02-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #39
zaptorque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orthow View Post

Also, paramedic was dead wrong or you misinterpreted what he stated. Going limp is how you survive - tensing up is what causes massive injuries regardless of how much you lift, bro! When you take driving courses they teach you what to do in the case of an accident and never once have I heard you should tense up.

Last but certainly not least - you knew you had bald tires and drove around in bad conditions and paid the price. You could have seriously injured some one else on the roads - not good.

IMHO you got what you deserved. Lucky it was only a single car accident and you didn't hurt anyone else. You are not as skilled as you think and you paid for it. Call me a hater or an infamous FT86 "troll" but if you were my friend I would tell you all the same shit in person. I value life.

I don't think you should get an FRS - enough idiots have written them off with only FWD experience and you already wrote off a FWD in a rear breaking loose incident. Doesn't look good for your future.
The fuck pissed in your coffee this morning?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #40
Nerfbacon

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
That's why I don't mess around with tires. I don't even like summer tires because of their lack of tread/grooving/sipes for hydroplaning resistance. If you slip on something, you can still control it but if you hydroplane in a turn, you're pretty much screwed. Also, it's always better to put the tires with less tread up front for that reason.
I remember reading that summer tires are actually better in the wet(unless its a poorly designed summer tire) than an all season tire...unless of course you are using summer tires in the winter when its cold
Nerfbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #41
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Shit happened. Glad you are OK and no one else was involved. You most likely are a bit wiser than you were two weeks ago.

Due to the posi, the FRS's tail steps out pretty quick and the stock tires are not up to much as far as grip, so be warned.

Unless I am deliberately going out to misbehave, I leave the TC on; it does a pretty amazing job of preventing what happened to your old car.
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #42
norsamerican

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
ouch. Awesome that you didn't get hurt. Sucks that you lost the car.
norsamerican is offline   Reply With Quote